03 JGC - "Tire Pressure Sensor Bad/Missing"???

Old April 6th 07, 05:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
USA

Default 03 JGC - "Tire Pressure Sensor Bad/Missing"???

Does anyone know how to reset this error message or make it go away?

I went in for an oil change and on start up from the dealer to leave,
this error message came up. Yes, I know they fk'd it up. I disregarded
it at first as I thought they rotated my tires & did not retrain the
sensors. But they did not rotate the tires and this damn error message
won't go away! I changed the tire pressures in all 4 and retrained the
sensor. It all registered correctly but on boot up, the self-test spits
out this "TIRE PRESSURE SENSOR BAD/MISSING" error message.

The service rep had the audacity to tell me it is because my spare tire
was missing the sensor - I told him I have a 4-sensor system & my spare
tire does not have a sensor. He said he does not understand why for 80k
miles I have not had this happen.

The new sensor is $88, the labor is $26. I think I am being ripped.

Can any of you guys/gals help out? It's driving me nuts. This is my 4th
JGC and I have NEVER seen this. Have had the car for 80k wonderful miles
and going very strong. This has never happen before.

Any feedback will be much appreciated.

Thanks all
Old April 6th 07, 02:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

Don't you just love the scam shops? They don't call them '$tealerships'
for nothing.

You had 80K of perfect use and suddenly a sensor is missing or broke?
LOL! Ya right.... Could they have reprogrammed you forcing a 5 sensor
software update?

I would go someplace else and have it 'fixed' and chalk up the scam shop
as a cheap out. You found them out cheaply...

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old April 6th 07, 03:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
USA

Stealership? That is great.

Yes, I did suspect dishonesty at work, I thought I felt the dark force;
I just was not prepare to sever anyone's peepee so quickly.

I am not 100% familiar with that little hand programming module, I do
know it is used to reset the auto door lock and all that software in the
info center. I did not think about them resetting a 4-tire TPM system to
a 5-tire just to cause an error to read so I will go back to spend more
money. It is very venal and regrettably possible. I will look into it.

Thanks for the tip . I hope we are both wrong but we will see.

Regards

USA

Old April 6th 07, 04:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

Hope we are wrong too, but some of these places seriously need to be put
out of business.

The local DC - Jeep $tealership to me has been outright stealing the
taxes they charge on emissions tests when emissions tests are tax exempt
For Ten Years! Yes I have the receipts spanning that period to prove
it. They were told about it ten years ago when they gave me back my
money for that and the Service Manager stated he would fix it. Ya
right! My son recently went there for emissions which he passed and
they are still stealing the tax!

I still think I should turn the SOB's into the government and the press
for that!

Another one we took our Cherokee to because the brake pedal was strange
and I couldn't get the wheels off so my wife went in for their free
brake inspection mostly to break the wheels free that they had installed
with their air hammer.

They told her it needed all new brakes including the 6 month old
emergency brake cables to the tune of $2200.00 or so dollars in the
written quote.

Well, 'all' the pads and shoes and cables were less than 6 months old on
4 year old rotors and the two things there actually 'were' broken, they
missed on their quote....

The pedal trouble was a ding on the caliper slider than needed a spot of
weld to fill and fix so the caliper wouldn't hang up and the emergency
brake cable had popped 'through' the backing plate on the rear wheels
due to rust. That needed a $2.00 mini U bolt clamp on the cable end to
prevent it from pulling through or a replacement backing plate.

Those are just the latest of waaaayyyy too many stories....

Mike

Old April 7th 07, 01:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
philthy[_1_]

expect more since this system will be federallly mandated on all vehicle in
a year or so

Old April 7th 07, 03:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW

USA wrote:
> Does anyone know how to reset this error message or make it go away?

try reading here
http://www.wjjeeps.com/tpms.htm

I've never dealt with the system myself.

--
DougW

Old April 8th 07, 06:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
USA

Thank you. Very informative and good general information. Appreciate this.

Old April 9th 07, 04:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Bill Kearney

> expect more since this system will be federallly mandated on all vehicle
in
> a year or so

And if it gets folks to keep the tire pressure at the right levels it'll end
up saving upwards of 12% in fuel that's currently being wasted.

Old April 9th 07, 05:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W. \(Bill\) Hughes III

Let alone the lives Ford Blamed on Firestone.
God Bless America, Bill 0|||||||0
http://www.billhughes.com/

t...

Old April 9th 07, 07:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Will Honea[_1_]

Bill Kearney wrote:

>> expect more since this system will be federallly mandated on all vehicle

> in
>> a year or so

> And if it gets folks to keep the tire pressure at the right levels it'll
> end up saving upwards of 12% in fuel that's currently being wasted.

Of course, tire pressure in the spare won't affect mileage at all unless it
gets put on the ground. Matter of fact, higher pressure in the spare will
theoretically cost you milage since air does have mass...

Mouse-farts in a hurricane, but why should the tree huggers have all the fun
with miniscule effects?

--
Will Honea