Engine misfire causing rough idle

Old March 29th 07, 02:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike

Default Engine misfire causing rough idle

I have a Jeep Sport Cherokee 2000. (85,000 miles)
If I replace one cyclinder and later the same problem show up, do I
have to replaced the whole valve?
Thanks
Mike

Old March 29th 07, 03:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

Mike wrote:
> I have a Jeep Sport Cherokee 2000. (85,000 miles)
> If I replace one cyclinder and later the same problem show up, do I
> have to replaced the whole valve?
> Thanks
> Mike

Say what????

Man if you can replace a cylinder on a Jeep engine, you would be in
really high demand. That would be one insane magic trick!

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
Old March 29th 07, 04:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Earle Horton[_16_]

"Mike" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I have a Jeep Sport Cherokee 2000. (85,000 miles)
> If I replace one cyclinder and later the same problem show up, do I
> have to replaced the whole valve?
> Thanks
> Mike

The question doesn't make sense. I am not even going to guess.

Earle

Old March 29th 07, 10:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W. \(Bill\) Hughes III

He has the diesel with cylinder sleeves:
http://www.ytmag.com/store/parts/pics/wm_EOK114.jpg
God Bless America, Bill 0|||||||0
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old April 4th 07, 11:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike

from the dealer service department:

Cylinder #3 misfire detected. performed minor tune up and cleared the
codes. advised the customer that if the check engine light comes back
on the cyl head will need to be removed.

well after $112.88 last Friday, the engine service light did come on.
the cylinder head removal and fix will cost about $1,000..........

Advise?
Thanks
Mike

Old April 4th 07, 01:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
billy ray

What EXACTLY was their diagnosis?

oups.com...

Old April 4th 07, 02:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

My first advise would be to find a 'real' mechanic, you are being took.

They basically put it on the computer and cleared the codes. For a
hundred bucks that's all you get.

'What' was included in a 'minor tune up'? What parts were replaced?

There are a ton of things that can cause a misfire. Usually spark
related like a bad coil connection or even fuel related like from a
dirty injector or even just a bad spark plug.

Some folks put Bosch spark plugs in. Most Jeep engines will develop a
miss very soon after, they just don't like those plugs.

It sounds like they want to sucker you for a valve job maybe which
'shouldn't' be needed on an engine with that low a miles.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old April 4th 07, 08:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

Including the code that is set!

There a few TSB's out on the 2000 involving rough idle. These all imply
the computer programming is just plain bad and the computer needs new
software.

One is for bad idle after a hot start, another is after a cold (below
50F) start.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...sb/results.cfm

That data page might need to be drilled down for again..

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's