need to replace trunk lock

Old March 23rd 07, 08:12 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
KLS

Default need to replace trunk lock

Well, it looks like the trunk lock has bitten the dust on my 98.5 A4Q.
I cannot turn the key in the lock. It does depress and retract ok
after much lubrication by my mechanic, but I suspect I need to replace
it, and I'd like to do it soon. How does one get a trunk lock that
will work with my current keys? Shokan has the lock for $65, but
doesn't provide a key for it and says I need to have the lock rekeyed.
What's the best way to go about resolving this situation and avoid
dealer prices?
Old March 24th 07, 04:42 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
TonyJ

KLS wrote:
> Well, it looks like the trunk lock has bitten the dust on my 98.5 A4Q.
> I cannot turn the key in the lock. It does depress and retract ok
> after much lubrication by my mechanic, but I suspect I need to replace
> it, and I'd like to do it soon. How does one get a trunk lock that
> will work with my current keys? Shokan has the lock for $65, but
> doesn't provide a key for it and says I need to have the lock rekeyed.
> What's the best way to go about resolving this situation and avoid
> dealer prices?

Find the part that is stuck and grease it. That should solve the problem for
years without the mess of re-keying the lock. I had a similar problem on a T44
series trunk lock that cleanand lub corrected.

You should check to see that there aren't any vacuum leaks in the locking system.
Old March 24th 07, 11:09 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
KLS

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 22:42:18 -0600, TonyJ >
wrote:
>KLS wrote:
>> Well, it looks like the trunk lock has bitten the dust on my 98.5 A4Q.
>> I cannot turn the key in the lock. It does depress and retract ok
>> after much lubrication by my mechanic, but I suspect I need to replace
>> it, and I'd like to do it soon. How does one get a trunk lock that
>> will work with my current keys? Shokan has the lock for $65, but
>> doesn't provide a key for it and says I need to have the lock rekeyed.
>> What's the best way to go about resolving this situation and avoid
>> dealer prices?

>Find the part that is stuck and grease it. That should solve the problem for
>years without the mess of re-keying the lock. I had a similar problem on a T44
>series trunk lock that cleanand lub corrected.

The vacuum system works fine for all the locks in this car. I just
can't turn the key in the lock. You think spraying graphite or
something in it would lubricate it so I can turn the key?
Old March 25th 07, 02:10 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
dave AKA vwdoc1

You might have excellent results if you take that lock out and apart to
clean and grease each of the tumblers and the cylinder. You were going to
take it out to replace it anyway! <g>
Or take it out and have a locksmith free it up for you.

That is if the liquid you inject inside of the lock does not get it to work.
Marvel Mystery Oil has done pretty well for me. I just started using it and
it has freed up some stiff or "frozen" locks. It was on sale at Menard's
for under $2.00 for a large spray bottle.
Give it time to work and work it over time like 1-2 days. ;-)

I would not invest in that used $65+shipping one unless yours is broken!
--
later,
dave

Old March 25th 07, 01:47 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
KLS

On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 20:10:37 -0500, "dave AKA vwdoc1"
> wrote:

>You might have excellent results if you take that lock out and apart to
>clean and grease each of the tumblers and the cylinder. You were going to
>take it out to replace it anyway! <g>
>Or take it out and have a locksmith free it up for you.
>
>That is if the liquid you inject inside of the lock does not get it to work.
>Marvel Mystery Oil has done pretty well for me. I just started using it and
>it has freed up some stiff or "frozen" locks. It was on sale at Menard's
>for under $2.00 for a large spray bottle.
>Give it time to work and work it over time like 1-2 days. ;-)
>
>I would not invest in that used $65+shipping one unless yours is broken!

You are right! thanks for your reply; I'll dissassemble, clean, and
reassemble, hoping for the best, and use that $65 for a nice dinner
out.
Old March 25th 07, 03:04 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
dave AKA vwdoc1

AND let us know how that works out for you! ;-)
Look for that little pin that holds the tumbler/cylinder in.
Some vehicles I can remove the tumbler/cylinder without removing the lock.
<g>

trunk lock won't release KLS Audi 1 February 11th 07 03:09 AM
2000 Concorde 3.2 Liter - trunk lock Carey Chrysler 7 December 24th 06 05:37 PM
Touchy 97 Jetta GL Trunk Lock... Mister.Lull VW water cooled 1 June 28th 06 04:12 PM
Help with Jetta trunk lock Gilles VW water cooled 4 June 24th 06 01:14 AM
65 Mustang trunk lock cylinder removal Honest George Ford Mustang 2 January 26th 05 03:22 PM