99 A6 Avant 2.8 wagon won't start after long run!

Old March 18th 07, 01:02 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Bloomsburg

Default 99 A6 Avant 2.8 wagon won't start after long run!

Hi, Gents:

My 99 A6 Avant has a problem. The engine will not start when I come
back from a trip and engine is hot. The engine cranks but wouldn't
lit! But can be started after the engine cools down for about 30 min.
and have no problem of starting it in the morning. Battery is ok and
engine check light is not on! Have not go to dealer yet to check it
out, would appreciate any one can give some advice before I go.

Many thanks!

Bloomsburg

Old March 19th 07, 03:16 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Dick Harder

It is your battery cable. Take a look at it. There is a main wire and there
is a second one that feeds the computer.
Take the screw out and clean the whole thing with sanding paper or metal
brush.

It is that simple.

Problem gone? I had the sa me thing going and the dealer of course run
it through a computer that gave no answer. Later they wanted to replace
numerous relays. HOLYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!

ps.com...

Old March 20th 07, 08:59 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Dick Harder

Or

Just move ecu left and right untill check engine appears.

Old March 28th 07, 05:04 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Bloomsburg

On Mar 18, 10:16 pm, "Dick Harder" > wrote:
> It is your battery cable. Take a look at it. There is a main wire and there
> is a second one that feeds the computer.
> Take the screw out and clean the whole thing with sanding paper or metal
> brush.
>
> It is that simple.
>
> Problem gone? I had the sa me thing going and the dealer of course run
> it through a computer that gave no answer. Later they wanted to replace
> numerous relays. HOLYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!
>
> "Bloomsburg" > wrote in message
>
> ps.com...> Hi, Gents:
>
> > My 99 A6 Avant has a problem. The engine will not start when I come
> > back from a trip and engine is hot. The engine cranks but wouldn't
> > lit! But can be started after the engine cools down for about 30 min.
> > and have no problem of starting it in the morning. Battery is ok and
> > engine check light is not on! Have not go to dealer yet to check it
> > out, would appreciate any one can give some advice before I go.

> > Many thanks!

> > Bloomsburg

Thanks, Dick Harder. Tried the trick you offered, it worked a bit. Now
the starting problem is more unpredicatable, since you never know when
it will not start! At 1st I thought it was when engine was hot but now
sometimes it won't start even when it been cooled for half an hour.
What's more, the engine check light lits on and off, its not blinking
but stayed on for a day and it might go away in the next day. So I
don't know what is going on now. I think I will let it be that way to
see what will jump out of box.

Oh, when you get a hard start, you can hear the engine cranking hard
and then if you hear the puff noise like you lack of gas, give it a
little throttle, then it starts. Have no idea whats going on!

Bloomsburg

Old March 28th 07, 06:28 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
TonyJ

Bloomsburg wrote:
> On Mar 18, 10:16 pm, "Dick Harder" > wrote:
>
>>It is your battery cable. Take a look at it. There is a main wire and there
>>is a second one that feeds the computer.
>>Take the screw out and clean the whole thing with sanding paper or metal
>>brush.
>>
>>It is that simple.
>>
>>Problem gone? I had the sa me thing going and the dealer of course run
>>it through a computer that gave no answer. Later they wanted to replace
>>numerous relays. HOLYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!
>>
>>"Bloomsburg" > wrote in message

oups.com...> Hi, Gents:

>>>My 99 A6 Avant has a problem. The engine will not start when I come
>>>back from a trip and engine is hot. The engine cranks but wouldn't
>>>lit! But can be started after the engine cools down for about 30 min.
>>>and have no problem of starting it in the morning. Battery is ok and
>>>engine check light is not on! Have not go to dealer yet to check it
>>>out, would appreciate any one can give some advice before I go.

>>>Many thanks!

>>>Bloomsburg

> Thanks, Dick Harder. Tried the trick you offered, it worked a bit. Now
> the starting problem is more unpredicatable, since you never know when
> it will not start! At 1st I thought it was when engine was hot but now
> sometimes it won't start even when it been cooled for half an hour.
> What's more, the engine check light lits on and off, its not blinking
> but stayed on for a day and it might go away in the next day. So I
> don't know what is going on now. I think I will let it be that way to
> see what will jump out of box.
>
> Oh, when you get a hard start, you can hear the engine cranking hard
> and then if you hear the puff noise like you lack of gas, give it a
> little throttle, then it starts. Have no idea whats going on!
>
> Bloomsburg

If pressing the gas pedal helps it start it might be that adding air is clearing
a flooding condition.

Flooding could be caused by leaking injectors. Try a bottle of Techron injector
cleaner in your next tank of gas.
Old March 29th 07, 08:24 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Bloomsburg

On Mar 28, 12:28 pm, TonyJ > wrote:
> Bloomsburg wrote:
> > On Mar 18, 10:16 pm, "Dick Harder" > wrote:

> >>It is your battery cable. Take a look at it. There is a main wire and there
> >>is a second one that feeds the computer.
> >>Take the screw out and clean the whole thing with sanding paper or metal
> >>brush.

> >>It is that simple.

> >>Problem gone? I had the sa me thing going and the dealer of course run
> >>it through a computer that gave no answer. Later they wanted to replace
> >>numerous relays. HOLYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!

> >>"Bloomsburg" > wrote in message

> oups.com...> Hi, Gents:

> > Thanks, Dick Harder. Tried the trick you offered, it worked a bit. Now
> > the starting problem is more unpredicatable, since you never know when
> > it will not start! At 1st I thought it was when engine was hot but now
> > sometimes it won't start even when it been cooled for half an hour.
> > What's more, the engine check light lits on and off, its not blinking
> > but stayed on for a day and it might go away in the next day. So I
> > don't know what is going on now. I think I will let it be that way to
> > see what will jump out of box.

> > Oh, when you get a hard start, you can hear the engine cranking hard
> > and then if you hear the puff noise like you lack of gas, give it a
> > little throttle, then it starts. Have no idea whats going on!

> > Bloomsburg

> If pressing the gas pedal helps it start it might be that adding air is clearing
> a flooding condition.
>
> Flooding could be caused by leaking injectors. Try a bottle of Techron injector
> cleaner in your next tank of gas.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks, sure will try that! Appreciate your help!