How ground is ground?

Old November 29th 04, 07:46 AM
Thomas G. Marshall

bank robberies.

Both charges were fabrications, even according to BATF Director John Magaw,
who admitted the accusations were "inexcusable" in testimony before Congress.

THREE HUNDRED armed federal agents conducted a siege of the Weavers' mountain
home, first killing Randy Weaver's dog, then his son, then his wife.

A law enforcement wilding.

* The CATO Institute, "Congressional Testimony", May 24, 1995
* http://www.cato.org
*
* The Marshals, wearing camouflage and carrying silenced machine guns, did
* not identify themselves or their purpose, but they did shoot one of the
* dogs. Sammy Weaver, fourteen-years-old, returned fire, and was promptly
* shot by a Marshal.
*
* Sammy turned and fled, with his nearly severed arm flopping as he ran.
*
* Sammy was promptly shot dead in the back.

An FBI sniper, Lon T. Horiuchi, testified he could hit a quarter at 200 yards.

* The CATO Institute, "Congressional Testimony", May 24, 1995
*
* An FBI psychological profile, prepared before the attack, called Vicki
* Weaver the "dominant member" of the family, thus implying that if she
* were "neutralized" everyone else might surrender.

Horiuchi shot Weaver's wife in the head while she held her b

Old November 29th 04, 12:06 PM

In rec.autos.makers.honda Thomas G. Marshall . com> wrote:
> I think part of my problem here is that I don't have a solid understanding
> of what the difference is between impedance and resistance. I'll have to

The array of wire that is used for your rear window defroster, or a
household toaster, is going to measure awfully close to zero. Heat it up a
little, and the resistance changes. But I posit that yours isn't heated
when you are measuring.

A window motor is going to measure very nearly 0 ohms until it starts
moving.

I looked in my 2003 Civic shop manual for the fuse block, which had no
connectors noted as ground. Reading your new description of the project, I
would use some existing ground screw.

> all that. The analog universe I've learned on my own, which leaves
> significant holes in my understanding.

Everything is analog. Digital circuits measure something that is
acceptable as a one, or acceptable as a zero. Voltages fluctuate somewhat
within the acceptable states. Rise times, especially rise times with steps
in them, expose poor digital design in an analog world.

> study this up more. 20+ years ago in college, the extent of my electrical

20 years ago I was working on the analog portions of computer touch
screens. It was a "one" when someone touched it. Making that happen in an
analog world was the challenge.

--
---

Old November 29th 04, 12:06 PM

Old November 29th 04, 03:42 PM
Roadie Roger

"Thomas G. Marshall" . com> wrote in message news:<5dvqd.1339$_C2.419@trndny01>...

> I think part of my problem here is that I don't have a solid understanding
> of what the difference is between impedance and resistance.

Maybe this will jog your memory. V=IR, R=V/I Resistance and impedance
are both the ratio of Voltage to Current. They both have the units of
ohms. For direct current, resistance is the ratio of voltage to
current. For sinusoidal signals impedance is the ratio of voltage to
current. Zero frequency is DC. Inductors (stereo speakers are pretty
close) have 0 resistance and 4 or 8 ohms of impedance. Capacitors
(like your crossing filter blocking capacitor) have infinite
resistance and varying impedance depending on sinusoidal frequency.
Any signal can be decomposed into sine waves. A spectrum analyser
shows this. Phasor anaysis is the easiest way solve these problems.
If you travel around a circle at a constant speed, your height above
the circle describes a perfect sine wave (non-rigorous description).
Sine waves are easy, common things, just right angle triangles,
really. A sine wave is described by amplitude, frequency and angle.
Impedance is an amplitude and angle that multiplies from one sine wave
to another (may be frequency dependant).

I filled up about half my 40Gb iPod with my entire 500 CD collection.
It fits in a shirt pocket. When are car manufacturers going to
integrate MP3 players, or at least an interface, into their cars.
Consumers are standing by!
Old November 29th 04, 03:42 PM
Roadie Roger

Old November 29th 04, 03:56 PM
Thomas G. Marshall

coughed up:
> In rec.autos.makers.honda Thomas G. Marshall
> . com> wrote:
>> I think part of my problem here is that I don't have a solid
>> understanding of what the difference is between impedance and
>> resistance. I'll have to

> The array of wire that is used for your rear window defroster, or a
> household toaster, is going to measure awfully close to zero. Heat
> it up a
> little, and the resistance changes. But I posit that yours isn't
> heated
> when you are measuring.
>
> A window motor is going to measure very nearly 0 ohms until it starts
> moving.

Interesting. Thanks. I'll remember this.

> I looked in my 2003 Civic shop manual for the fuse block, which had no
> connectors noted as ground. Reading your new description of the
> project, I
> would use some existing ground screw.
>

>> all that. The analog universe I've learned on my own, which leaves
>> significant holes in my understanding.

> Everything is analog. Digital circuits measure something that is
> acceptable as a one, or acceptable as a zero. Voltages fluctuate
> somewhat
> within the acceptable states. Rise times, especially rise times with
> steps
> in them, expose poor digital design in an analog world.

Oh sure sure. I remember learning some about the voltage transitions when I
posed the following ttl wireup to my EE instructor: (go fixed font)

+---------+
------------>| |
| NOR |-------+
+----->| | |
| +---------+ |
| |
+------------------------+

He said that he should someday hook the thing up to a scope with me to see
what the gates do with this. He said theoretically the voltages should
roughly rise and fall themselves from something like 1.4 to 1.0 or even near
0 and back (or something like that), but that's only if the gate behaves at
such intervals, since the line will never hit true line level of 5 volts
(the TTL we were using). I forget what the gates will regard as a 1 deep
inside---1.4? 2.4? My memory is worth @#$% these days.

>> study this up more. 20+ years ago in college, the extent of my
>> electrical

> 20 years ago I was working on the analog portions of computer touch
> screens. It was a "one" when someone touched it. Making that happen
> in an
> analog world was the challenge.

--
"I don't want FOP, God dammit! I'm a DAPPER DAN MAN!"

Old November 29th 04, 03:56 PM
Thomas G. Marshall

coughed up:
> In rec.autos.makers.honda Thomas G. Marshall
> . com> wrote:
>> I think part of my problem here is that I don't have a solid
>> understanding of what the difference is between impedance and
>> resistance. I'll have to

> The array of wire that is used for your rear window defroster, or a
> household toaster, is going to measure awfully close to zero. Heat
> it up a
> little, and the resistance changes. But I posit that yours isn't
> heated
> when you are measuring.
>
> A window motor is going to measure very nearly 0 ohms until it starts
> moving.

Interesting. Thanks. I'll remember this.

> I looked in my 2003 Civic shop manual for the fuse block, which had no
> connectors noted as ground. Reading your new description of the
> project, I
> would use some existing ground screw.
>

>> all that. The analog universe I've learned on my own, which leaves
>> significant holes in my understanding.

> Everything is analog. Digital circuits measure something that is
> acceptable as a one, or acceptable as a zero. Voltages fluctuate
> somewhat
> within the acceptable states. Rise times, especially rise times with
> steps
> in them, expose poor digital design in an analog world.

Oh sure sure. I remember learning some about the voltage transitions when I
posed the following ttl wireup to my EE instructor: (go fixed font)

+---------+
------------>| |
| NOR |-------+
+----->| | |
| +---------+ |
| |
+------------------------+

Old November 29th 04, 04:02 PM
Thomas G. Marshall

Roadie Roger coughed up:
> "Thomas G. Marshall"
> . com> wrote in
> message news:<5dvqd.1339$_C2.419@trndny01>...
>
>> I think part of my problem here is that I don't have a solid
>> understanding of what the difference is between impedance and
>> resistance.

> Maybe this will jog your memory. V=IR, R=V/I Resistance and impedance
> are both the ratio of Voltage to Current. They both have the units of
> ohms. For direct current, resistance is the ratio of voltage to
> current. For sinusoidal signals impedance is the ratio of voltage to
> current. Zero frequency is DC. Inductors (stereo speakers are pretty
> close) have 0 resistance and 4 or 8 ohms of impedance. Capacitors
> (like your crossing filter blocking capacitor) have infinite
> resistance and varying impedance depending on sinusoidal frequency.
> Any signal can be decomposed into sine waves. A spectrum analyser
> shows this. Phasor anaysis is the easiest way solve these problems.
> If you travel around a circle at a constant speed, your height above
> the circle describes a perfect sine wave (non-rigorous description).
> Sine waves are easy, common things, just right angle triangles,
> really. A sine wave is described by amplitude, frequency and angle.
> Impedance is an amplitude and angle that multiplies from one sine wave
> to another (may be frequency dependant).
>
> I filled up about half my 40Gb iPod with my entire 500 CD collection.
> It fits in a shirt pocket. When are car manufacturers going to
> integrate MP3 players, or at least an interface, into their cars.
> Consumers are standing by!

What seems also likely is having every song, movie, talk show, etc., ever
performed in history available by satellite for ~$50 / year. Your home
system, car, boat, "walkman", etc., would all tap into that.

If they don't go that way, then they risk annihilation. As bandwidths
increase, I'd one day be able to download via p2p in minutes everything ever
recorded, etc.

--
"I don't want FOP, God dammit! I'm a DAPPER DAN MAN!"

Old November 29th 04, 04:02 PM
Thomas G. Marshall

Roadie Roger coughed up:

Old November 29th 04, 05:40 PM
Graham W

Thomas G. Marshall wrote:
[...]
> I think part of my problem here is that I don't have a solid
> understanding of what the difference is between impedance and
> resistance. I'll have to study this up more. 20+ years ago in
> college, the extent of my electrical experience was EE.

Forget taxing your grey-matter with impedance! For this
purpose of dealing with 12V electrics, resistance is King!

Why do you think that you can't use the ground already supplied
to the lighter socket?

HELP!!! Cig. Lighter: 9 ohms between POS and GROUND???? Thomas G. Marshall Honda 24 October 27th 04 03:06 AM
C-4 Ground Effects Art Corvette 2 October 17th 04 01:27 PM
Ground Point Locations for 1990 535i mark barron BMW 0 September 29th 04 02:31 AM
Help with Positive Ground issues thunderbeast Antique cars 5 March 28th 04 07:51 AM