wood steering wheel

Old May 2nd 07, 10:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
L Bader[_2_]

Default wood steering wheel

On Wed, 2 May 2007 23:07:49 +0200, (Marc Gerges)
wrote:

>XS11E > wrote:
>>
>> 1. Accidental deployment causes accidents and sometimes kills people

>Far fetched. I do not know about a single case of accidental deployment,
>having friends working in airbag development.

Though not probable, it is possible. Even more so in that less than
two months ago one of my club members was driving "straight and
level", without anyone fore or aft, and the bag deployed. -- Now the
caveats on the situation. (a) His airbag warning indicator had been
blinking for about a week and (b) 'twas a '91 NA, meaning it was a 1st
gen airbag system with 17 year old connections and system battery.

- L

Old May 3rd 07, 03:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
M. Cantera

Airbags are deadly to children and smaller statured individuals. Any
so called safety device that can kill or injure your kid if you forget
to turn it off is not a good thing. This is the one thing that really
worries me about the Miata, there is no back seat for the kids, and I
may forget to turn off the airbag the one day I have a kid in the car.

See abstract:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract

Old May 3rd 07, 04:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
BRUCE HASKIN

And what was the warning indicator telling him? "stupid, stupid,
stupid, ...........! " "There is something wrong stupid!" If you don't
want to be helped, I guess you can't be helped ! I guess this is the
same kind of driver that see's a sign that tells him to slow because of
a bad section of road ahead, so he speeds up just to see if they knew
what they knew what they were talking about, then comes back to tell you
the car handels poorly when it goes off the road.
Yep, "natural selection"

Bruce Bing '03 LS

Old May 3rd 07, 04:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
XS11E > wrote:

> The government mandated air bags
> because people are too lazy/stupid to fasten seat belts but passive
> restraints are a very distant second best to a proper roll cage with
> lap and shoulder belts.

Who's going to bother with a 6-point harness on the street? Not me.
Certainly not any woman wearing a dress. To work, a harness has to be so
tight it's hard to breathe; forget about adjusting the heater or radio.
As for a cage, might as well buy a coupe.

The Miata's airbags are not a substitute for wearing seatbelts. The
first S in "SRS" is for Supplemental--the bags and belts are designed to
work as a system, neither providing effective protection by itself.
Old May 3rd 07, 04:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
M. Cantera > wrote:

> Airbags are deadly to children and smaller statured individuals. Any
> so called safety device that can kill or injure your kid if you forget
> to turn it off is not a good thing.

Jesus. That's such a stupid statement I can't even respond. Whatever
happened to taking responsibility for one's poor judgment?
Old May 3rd 07, 02:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
M. Cantera

The poor judgement was at the NHTSA that mandated a device without
propper testing.

Do your own reaseach on the matter, or better yet, since I've done it
for you, go reat this:

http://www.ajnr.org/cgi/reprint/19/9/1599.pdf

Be warned, that the study contains x-ray images of some of the
children killed in low speed airbag deployments.

On Thu, 03 May 2007 03:34:58 GMT, Lanny Chambers

Old May 4th 07, 01:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
L Bader[_2_]

Actually, he went to the dealer prior to the incident and their
response was, "We can't find anything wrong. We don't know why it's
blinking..."

As to the kind of driver, he is one of the most safety concious
drivers/riders I have ever met. Though he applies the skills he has
earned over 30 years autocrossing and motorcycling, he only pushes his
(and his vehicle's) limits when on a track.

- L

Old May 4th 07, 02:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Carol[_1_]

On May 2, 7:21 am, wrote:
> I know this goes against current practice but are airbags really
> necessary? In over 35 years of driving I've never had an accident
> where a drivers airbag would have helped and hope to keep it that way.
> Is it worth putting up with ugly steering wheels for the 'just in
> case' -?
>
> >Any recommendations for a wood steering wheel that has an airbag?

I am certainly biased, but I do literally owe my life to my airbag.
And my seat belt. And great surgeons. And Life Flight. But first and
most importantly, my airbag and seatbelt. I've got a recent post up at
my blog about Life Flight (www.aintchicken.com), and it shows a
picture of why I am so grateful for my airbag and seatbelt. Wouldn't
drive without them both. In over 32 years of driving I had never had
an accident where an airbag would have helped me. Until I did, on
August 23, 2004. It's like... a person whose never been struck by
lighting, until they are. Or never been pregnant, until the line turns
blue. -Carol

Old May 5th 07, 04:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
BRUCE HASKIN

I stand by my word ! I guess if the "dealed" said they couldn't find
anything wrong, then nothing was wrong ! ( ??? ) So now you just drive
on in your happy little way and "nothing will happen", right ? It's just
my guess, but I dought that the "dealer" could pour **** out of a boot
with the instructions on the heel ! :-) Just for what it is worth, that
light does not just flash because it doesn't have anything else to do. I
don't know your friend, but I think that if he were as "safety driven"
as you say, he should not have stopped at just one answer, .......
"gosh, we ain't never seen one of them lights do that before Bubba !"
I'm not trying to flame you, but if there is something wrong, find out
what it is before it "hurts you".

You see, I have been flying big airplanes for over 50 years and when bad
things happen in one of those, it's a damm long way down to pull over
and see what is wrong. :-) ( Yes, I understand "safety" ! )

Bruce Bing '03 LS

Old May 8th 07, 06:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Scott Hughes[_2_]

Lanny Chambers > wrote in news:lanny-
:

> In article >,
> "mneren2" > wrote:
>
>> Any recommendations for a wood steering wheel that has an airbag?

> Moss sells the only one I know of:

http://www.miatamania.com/Shop/ViewP...eIndexID=36836

Has anyone tried their Colored Leather Steering Wheel Covers?
http://www.miatamania.com/Shop/ViewP...eIndexID=36835

The leather on mine (94) is in awful condition. Not only does it look bad,
but it actually comes off on my hands, especially when it's really humid.
I want to get as close to the original feel/look as I can. I've casually
looked at the generic wheel covers they have at Autozone and Walmart, but
most of them add more bulk than I'd like and/or look stupid.

-Scott