Top repair question

Old May 2nd 07, 08:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
zenmartini

Default Top repair question

I have a soft top that has a seam that looks like its coming apart.
There is no stitching but it feels as if there was some kind of
adhesive used. Any ideas as to what I can use to repair it?

I've got two images of the problem he http://www.jkf194.com/top.htm

Old May 3rd 07, 01:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
r0lliSl1fe

On May 2, 3:23 pm, zenmartini > wrote:
> I have a soft top that has a seam that looks like its coming apart.
> There is no stitching but it feels as if there was some kind of
> adhesive used. Any ideas as to what I can use to repair it?
>
> I've got two images of the problem hehttp://www.jkf194.com/top.htm

There is a rather strong adhesive used there--has the top been folding
incorrectly? Been unzipping the window? That seam shouldn't even
have the chance to seperate. Very humid where you are? Many ice
storms? Find the root of the problem.

At the very worst, some stitching or carefully placed industrial
staples will work, but I'm sure someone will be able to come up with a
good waterproof adhesive.

Old May 3rd 07, 03:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
zenmartini

On May 2, 3:23 pm, zenmartini > wrote:
> I have a soft top that has a seam that looks like its coming apart.
> There is no stitching but it feels as if there was some kind of
> adhesive used. Any ideas as to what I can use to repair it?
>
> I've got two images of the problem hehttp://www.jkf194.com/top.htm

I've made three trips back and forth from NJ to Florida in the past
six weeks... so the top has been
through snow and a lot of heat withing a short period of time. The top
goes up and down no problem. I just want to stop this before it gets
out of hand.

Old May 5th 07, 02:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

When I bought my 99 about 18 months ago, it looked identical to yours (on
driver and passenger sides). I figured I'd give the repair a shot before I
gave in and replaced it. It's still holding very well so, I'll describe the
process in case you want to try it.

- Cleaned surfaces real good with alcohol.
- Applied black silicone sealant (the kind you use when you put your
engine's head or valve cover back together). Method used; fairly thin layer
worked into both surfaces nicely (mask off areas you don't want the stuff.
- applied pressure till dried
- On the outside, I masked off nice clean lines on either side of the seams
and applied a bead there. Smoothed it with my trusty finger and pulled the
tape up before anything started to set up.

Is yours a 99, I wonder if it was a mfr problem as it appears to be a less
than well done heat weld or something of that nature.

Good luck,
Chris
99BBB

Old May 6th 07, 08:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chuck

"I wonder if it was a mfr problem as it appears to be a less than well done
heat weld or something of that nature" BINGO!

Old May 7th 07, 01:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

"Chuck" > wrote in message
> "I wonder if it was a mfr problem as it appears to be a less than well
> done
> heat weld or something of that nature" BINGO!

Did they ever admit to that one? I know sometimes Mazda comes clean and
sometimes they deny, deny, deny in the face of clear evidence!

Chris
99BBB

Old May 8th 07, 03:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chuck

They would have replaced the top for free if it was still under warrenty.
Otherwise, guess who pays, and it ain't Mazda!

"Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote in message

> "Chuck" > wrote in message
> > "I wonder if it was a mfr problem as it appears to be a less than well
> > done
> > heat weld or something of that nature" BINGO!
> >>

> Did they ever admit to that one? I know sometimes Mazda comes clean and
> sometimes they deny, deny, deny in the face of clear evidence!
>

> Chris
> 99BBB

99 cabrio repair cost question Jetta99gls VW water cooled 3 December 20th 06 11:24 PM
'78 body repair question. Pelly Corvette 1 August 23rd 05 10:37 PM
Repair cost question Redlocks Chrysler 3 June 3rd 05 02:51 AM
Paint repair question Milleron Honda 0 November 18th 04 02:13 AM
4runner repair question T.B. 4x4 16 March 16th 04 02:26 AM