bought a hardtop today

Old April 16th 07, 01:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
The Merg

Default bought a hardtop today

With all the BS that's been plaguing the group recently, I thought I'd
share some good news.

I bought a hardtop for the YJ for $100. It's in pretty good condition -
it needs to be painted, needs new struts for the rear window, and
there's a small crack near the top passenger side corner of the rear
window. All in all, I'm pretty happy with it. Now I can go bikini top
all spring, summer, fall, then throw the hardtop on for the winter.
I think I'll be donating my soft top to my dad's YJ, as he doesn't have
any sort of top at all at the moment.
Old April 16th 07, 01:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
twaldron[_3_]

The Merg wrote:
> With all the BS that's been plaguing the group recently, I thought I'd
> share some good news.
>
> I bought a hardtop for the YJ for $100. It's in pretty good condition -
> it needs to be painted, needs new struts for the rear window, and
> there's a small crack near the top passenger side corner of the rear
> window. All in all, I'm pretty happy with it. Now I can go bikini top
> all spring, summer, fall, then throw the hardtop on for the winter.
> I think I'll be donating my soft top to my dad's YJ, as he doesn't have
> any sort of top at all at the moment.

Nice score. Keep that ST in the family. Ya never know when ya might need it.

tw
Old April 16th 07, 03:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Earle Horton[_16_]

"The Merg" > wrote in message
> With all the BS that's been plaguing the group recently, I thought I'd
> share some good news.
>
> I bought a hardtop for the YJ for $100. It's in pretty good condition -
> it needs to be painted, needs new struts for the rear window, and
> there's a small crack near the top passenger side corner of the rear
> window. All in all, I'm pretty happy with it. Now I can go bikini top
> all spring, summer, fall, then throw the hardtop on for the winter.
> I think I'll be donating my soft top to my dad's YJ, as he doesn't have
> any sort of top at all at the moment.

Storage is a problem. I made some long saw horses, and a shelf that sits on
them out of 2x2s and osb. Some people like the hoists that you buy in the
catalogs, or build a shelf in their garage. It is important to sit it on
something flat and level so that crack doesn't get bigger. If you have the
same type I have, that I got with my YJ in 1995, you can patch it if
necessary with fiberglass repair materials.

Earle

Old April 16th 07, 04:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Billzz

"Earle Horton" > wrote in message
. ..
> "The Merg" > wrote in message
>> With all the BS that's been plaguing the group recently, I thought I'd
>> share some good news.
>>
>> I bought a hardtop for the YJ for $100. It's in pretty good condition -
>> it needs to be painted, needs new struts for the rear window, and
>> there's a small crack near the top passenger side corner of the rear
>> window. All in all, I'm pretty happy with it. Now I can go bikini top
>> all spring, summer, fall, then throw the hardtop on for the winter.
>> I think I'll be donating my soft top to my dad's YJ, as he doesn't have
>> any sort of top at all at the moment.

> Storage is a problem. I made some long saw horses, and a shelf that sits
> on
> them out of 2x2s and osb. Some people like the hoists that you buy in the
> catalogs, or build a shelf in their garage. It is important to sit it on
> something flat and level so that crack doesn't get bigger. If you have
> the
> same type I have, that I got with my YJ in 1995, you can patch it if
> necessary with fiberglass repair materials.
>
> Earle

I once bought a used 1957 XK-140 Jaguar which came with a custom made
fiberglass top (and was once owned by Kim Novak, I was told - makes a good
story.) Being in the military, I moved, and left the top high in the roof
of the rental garage. I completely forgot about it. I sold the car, and
only then, in some other state remembered that I did not have the top. Oh,
well. I was young and foolish. Now I am old and foolish. At least my
Grand Cherokees have "permanent" roofs, so I cannot forget them.

Old April 16th 07, 05:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
billy ray

Real Jeeps don't have no stinkin' tops!

<insert link Bill>

Old April 16th 07, 05:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
twaldron[_4_]

Even the Real Jeeps had soft tops.

--
PLEASE REMOVE THE "OBVIOUS" TO REPLY.
Old April 17th 07, 12:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W. \(Bill\) Hughes III

Not from the factory.
God Bless America, Bill 0|||||||0
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old April 17th 07, 04:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
The Merg

Here are some pictures:
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r...r/IMG_0411.jpg

I'm not sure what I'll do about storage yet, it'll probably end up in
the attic of the shed (if I can get it up there) because there is little
to no room in the garage anymore - too many Jeeps (like that could ever
happen...)