Engine Performance & Gas Mileage - Can You Assist Me?

Old April 14th 07, 01:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
abomb69

Default Engine Performance & Gas Mileage - Can You Assist Me?

If I keep my foot off the floor board, I can get descent gas milage from my
93 with a 4.0.

Old April 14th 07, 05:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
SnoMan

On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 09:40:09 -0400, Mike Romain >
wrote:

>If you want mileage, dump the snake oil crap and go back to a stock
>setup with an electric fan and wear lighter shoes.

good advise

>If you want performance, you could add a header and cat back along with
>that hot computer chip and intake you have on it.

Not sure what this would gain though over all.

>The two are opposite entities, you can't have both in a Jeep.

Very true but many like to beleive otherwise.
-----------------
TheSnoMan.com
Old April 14th 07, 06:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
billy ray

I got 21.1 on a 1500+ mile trip where most of the highway driving was well
above 55mph, 10 days was camping off-road in Canada.

t...

Old April 14th 07, 07:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

SnoMan wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 09:40:09 -0400, Mike Romain >
> wrote:
>
>> If you want mileage, dump the snake oil crap and go back to a stock
>> setup with an electric fan and wear lighter shoes.

> good advise
>
>> If you want performance, you could add a header and cat back along with
>> that hot computer chip and intake you have on it.

> Not sure what this would gain though over all.
>
>> The two are opposite entities, you can't have both in a Jeep.

> Very true but many like to beleive otherwise.
> -----------------
> TheSnoMan.com

Bud, you 'maybe' have owned a J10, but even that is doubtful seeing as
it is 'supposed' to be a quadratrac 'full time' 4x4 and yet on another
group you state you 'always' have to stop in the middle of the highway
in a snowstorm to change gears in it.

Now you are trying to give performance advise on a 4.0?

Your other lunatic posts are also out there to quote from.

You have proven beyond any reasonable doubt that you are totally insane
and know nothing about a 'part time' 4x4 so unless you want flames every
time, stop dogging my posts.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old April 14th 07, 08:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
SnoMan

On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 14:07:34 -0400, Mike Romain >
wrote:

>Bud, you 'maybe' have owned a J10, but even that is doubtful seeing as
>it is 'supposed' to be a quadratrac 'full time' 4x4 and yet on another
>group you state you 'always' have to stop in the middle of the highway
>in a snowstorm to change gears in it.
>
>Now you are trying to give performance advise on a 4.0?
>
>Your other lunatic posts are also out there to quote from.

The troll in you is back!! I have owned well over a dozen 4x4's of all
flavors and with 4cyl thru v8 too in the last 36 years or so and
currently own 3 of them and my comments are driven by years of
experiance not ego like yours. I have never said that I stopped on
highway to engage 4x4 drive but I may have said you are a fool about
your recommandations on the proepr use of 4x4 drive including at
highway speeds. Also the principle behind performance gains are the
same with all non super charged gas motors. (BTW, I have owned a 4x4
Jeep with a 258 too in years past) A gas motor is a heat engine driven
by hot expanding gas (kind like you are at times) and the piston
captures this and couples it to crankshaft. The engine is tuned to
expect a certain amount of back pressure when it operates and the cam
is timed to this. When you chop off the exhaust, the gas escapes
cylinder too quickly and less of it is transfered to crank and this
effect is most noticable below 3000 RPM or so. At higher RPM the
duration of valve opening is reduced (relative to real time) and this
loss of back pressure is not a problem most of times then. Also at
lower RPMs during overlap some fuel mixture may be lost out of exhuast
valve when there is no back pressure reducing MPG potentail. If you
want a engine with good low RPM torque 4,6 or V8, keep exhaust stock.
If you have ego problems like Mike here and you like to brag about
spinning wheels on 4x4 drive on hard pavement and blow off a lot of
noise and hot air take his advise. WHen you add a turbo charger the
back pressure rules change because reduced back press increase turbo
efficency.
-----------------
TheSnoMan.com
Old April 14th 07, 10:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

SnoMan wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 14:07:34 -0400, Mike Romain >
> wrote:
>
>> Bud, you 'maybe' have owned a J10, but even that is doubtful seeing as
>> it is 'supposed' to be a quadratrac 'full time' 4x4 and yet on another
>> group you state you 'always' have to stop in the middle of the highway
>> in a snowstorm to change gears in it.
>>
>> Now you are trying to give performance advise on a 4.0?
>>
>> Your other lunatic posts are also out there to quote from.

I have never said that I stopped on
> highway to engage 4x4 drive but I may have said you are a fool about
> your recommandations on the proepr use of 4x4 drive including at
> highway speeds.

<more junk snipped>

Liar!

You seem to forget that Google has 'all' you nonsense saved forever,
like this recent gem over on rec.autos.4x4.:

SnoMan wrote:
> On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 09:47:38 -0500, Mike Romain >
> wrote:
>
>> As I mentioned, I think it would be total insanity to have to stop

to go
>> into or out of 4 high. I didn't think Ford was that bad.....

> Gee I always stop to do so and have for over 30 years.

Enough said.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
Old April 15th 07, 01:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
SnoMan

On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 17:53:30 -0400, Mike Romain >
wrote:

>You seem to forget that Google has 'all' you nonsense saved forever,
>like this recent gem over on rec.autos.4x4.:

Knock yourself out guy. Your Troll comments are held too. How do I
know you have a ego problem? (beside the crap you spread) You sig is a
big clue that you want to impress someone. I could list a lot there
but I do not have prove anything. I have seen your kind come and go
and one day your torch will go out and another troll will likely carry
on for you.
-----------------
TheSnoMan.com
Old April 15th 07, 02:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike

"SnoMan" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 17:53:30 -0400, Mike Romain >
> wrote:
>

>>You seem to forget that Google has 'all' you nonsense saved forever,
>>like this recent gem over on rec.autos.4x4.:

> Knock yourself out guy. Your Troll comments are held too. How do I
> know you have a ego problem? (beside the crap you spread) You sig is a
> big clue that you want to impress someone. I could list a lot there
> but I do not have prove anything. I have seen your kind come and go
> and one day your torch will go out and another troll will likely carry
> on for you.
> -----------------
> TheTrollMan.com

Mike's right. Take your bull**** somewere else, snotard. Mike's been here
for a long time helping people. You, on the other hand, seem to just spread
your bull**** were ever you go.

Old April 15th 07, 03:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

SnoMan wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 17:53:30 -0400, Mike Romain >
> wrote:
>
>> You seem to forget that Google has 'all' your nonsense saved forever,
>> like this recent gem over on rec.autos.4x4.:

> Knock yourself out guy. Your Troll comments are held too. How do I
> know you have a ego problem? (beside the crap you spread) You sig is a
> big clue that you want to impress someone. I could list a lot there
> but I do not have prove anything. I have seen your kind come and go
> and one day your torch will go out and another troll will likely carry
> on for you.
> -----------------
> TheSnoMan.com

Bud, I have been around this group since the last century and have seen
lots of total idiots like you not last too long. Your bull**** won't be
put up with for long in this group, neither will your 'play' with words.

Instead of spouting off bull**** about stuff you don't know, why don't
you take your 'so called' vast experience with J10's and answer those
folks with troubles?

I'll bet you can't even help the poor person trying to buy one asking
for help here who doesn't know how to shift one eh?

Oh, my sig line photo albums are of Jeep off road runs consisting of
folks 'from this newsgroup'! Jerk.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's