Replacing spark plugs

Old April 6th 07, 03:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW

Default Replacing spark plugs

Mike wrote:
> "billy ray" > wrote in message
>> That engine came from the factory with copper Champions as your
>> 'mechanic' well knows.
>>
>> If you have had no drivability problems with the Platinums (I
>> haven't in 3 Jeeps) you can continue with them but be advised Bosch
>> Platinums RETAIL for less than $2.50 each.
>>

> Bosh spark plugs are junk. I wouldn't put them in a lawn mower.
> Every time I have seen a car with driveability problems due to bad
> spark plugs they have always been Bosh.

Autolite is what I use. Tried Campion but they look
sorta cheap side-by-side with the Autolites.
Either way, changing plugs every couple of oil changes
lets me keep an eye on the engines internals.

--
-- DougW -- 93 ZJ 4.0 http://revbeergoggles.com
HESCO Supercharger - 300W IASCA Stereo - Edelbrock IAS Shocks

Old April 6th 07, 04:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
billy ray

Jeeps seem to prefer low tech copper plugs for some reason,

I've not had a problem with Bosch Platinum plugs in the 25+ years I've used
them but maybe I was just lucky.

Old April 6th 07, 12:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike

My '00 Sport came with and calls for Champion standard copper-core
plugs. I can't imagine a model year older vehicle requiring the
platinum plugs. Agree with whats already been posted; it doesn't
matter what the guy found, it's what the proper plug is that counts.
Check theunderhood decal or, if you have the owners manual, I'll bet
you'll find the plug type listed in there.

Sounds to me like this guy just wants to gouge you on a set of plugs
you don't need.

mike
00XJ

Old April 6th 07, 03:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

Mike wrote:

> Are you sure you didn't get a set of Bosh plugs the first time ? The only
> difference between regular plugs and platnium plugs, ( besides the
> plantinums costing 4-6 times more) is the plantinum plugs last longer.
> Regular plugs will last about 30,000 miles. The plantinums will go to
> between 60,000 and 80,000 miles. There is no difference in performance.

Got news for ya. Lots of Jeep I6 engines will not run for **** on Bosch
platinum plugs. Too many folks get suckered by the hype and figure more
expensive must be better eh.

I have easily fixed many bad idle issues by simply tossing the fancy
expensive plugs in the trash while replacing them with cheap Champions.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
Old April 6th 07, 03:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Earle Horton[_16_]

"Mike Romain" > wrote in message
ng.com...
> Mike wrote:
>
> > Are you sure you didn't get a set of Bosh plugs the first time ? The
> > only difference between regular plugs and platnium plugs, ( besides
> > the plantinums costing 4-6 times more) is the plantinum plugs last
> > longer.
> > Regular plugs will last about 30,000 miles. The plantinums will go to
> > between 60,000 and 80,000 miles. There is no difference in
> > performance.
> >

> Got news for ya. Lots of Jeep I6 engines will not run for **** on Bosch
> platinum plugs. Too many folks get suckered by the hype and figure more
> expensive must be better eh.

I don't believe that this is because platinum plugs are inherently bad.
They don't work right in many applications, just because somebody gets the
heat range wrong. That could be a bad listing, a half asleep parts jockey
or any number of factors. The only way to get the right heat range, unless
you are racing and have a radically modified engine, in which case you are
assumed to know what you are doing, heh, is to use OEM plugs. The type of
plug you need, is on the under hood label, in the owner's manual and in the
shop manual.

There is a big difference in performance, as Mike says, if you put the wrong
part in your engine.

Cheers,

Earle

Old April 6th 07, 05:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
c[_1_]

Earle Horton wrote:
> "Mike Romain" > wrote in message
> ng.com...
>> Mike wrote:
>>
>>> Are you sure you didn't get a set of Bosh plugs the first time ? The
>>> only difference between regular plugs and platnium plugs, ( besides
>>> the plantinums costing 4-6 times more) is the plantinum plugs last
>>> longer.
>>> Regular plugs will last about 30,000 miles. The plantinums will go to
>>> between 60,000 and 80,000 miles. There is no difference in
>>> performance.
>>>

>> Got news for ya. Lots of Jeep I6 engines will not run for **** on Bosch
>> platinum plugs. Too many folks get suckered by the hype and figure more
>> expensive must be better eh.
>>

> I don't believe that this is because platinum plugs are inherently bad.
> They don't work right in many applications, just because somebody gets the
> heat range wrong. That could be a bad listing, a half asleep parts jockey
> or any number of factors. The only way to get the right heat range, unless
> you are racing and have a radically modified engine, in which case you are
> assumed to know what you are doing, heh, is to use OEM plugs. The type of
> plug you need, is on the under hood label, in the owner's manual and in the
> shop manual.
>
> There is a big difference in performance, as Mike says, if you put the wrong
> part in your engine.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Earle

This may or may not be related, but some aftermarket ignitions for
racing/high performance specify NOT to use platinum plugs. I do not know
the reason. As far as brands, I too have had problems with certain
brands of plugs in certain brands of engines, but some of these engines
were modifyed also. I have had the best luck with Autolite personally. I
had an old Mercury outboard that called for Champion plugs, but they
would foul out after a few weeks. I did a lot of trolling (not
newsgroups, lol) and the plugs would just crap out after a few weeks. A
simple cross reference to Autolite and I got a full summer of fishing
without any fouled plugs. OTOH, I have had engines that would run on
Champions and nothing else.

Chris
Old April 6th 07, 08:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Stupendous Man

> Bosh spark plugs are junk. I wouldn't put them in a lawn mower. Every
> time I have seen a car with driveability problems due to bad spark plugs
> they have always been Bosh.

I have been using Bosch plugs for over 30 years as a professional mechanic,
and have seen one bad new plug. I have seen quite a few bad new Champions,
though.
--
Stupendous Man,

Old April 6th 07, 11:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW

Stupendous Man wrote:
>> Bosh spark plugs are junk. I wouldn't put them in a lawn mower.
>> Every time I have seen a car with driveability problems due to bad
>> spark plugs they have always been Bosh.
>>

> I have been using Bosch plugs for over 30 years as a professional
> mechanic, and have seen one bad new plug. I have seen quite a few bad
> new Champions, though.

Yea. If you've ever sat a Champion beside an Autolite, the Champion
looks cheap. Pot metal instead of forged cheap.

I'm running Champs right now but will switch to Autolite in a few
more miles.

--
DougW

Old April 7th 07, 01:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike

"Mike Romain" > wrote in message
ng.com...
> Mike wrote:
>
>> Are you sure you didn't get a set of Bosh plugs the first time ? The
>> only difference between regular plugs and platnium plugs, ( besides the
>> plantinums costing 4-6 times more) is the plantinum plugs last longer.
>> Regular plugs will last about 30,000 miles. The plantinums will go to
>> between 60,000 and 80,000 miles. There is no difference in performance.
>>

> Got news for ya. Lots of Jeep I6 engines will not run for **** on Bosch
> platinum plugs. Too many folks get suckered by the hype and figure more
> expensive must be better eh.
>
> I have easily fixed many bad idle issues by simply tossing the fancy
> expensive plugs in the trash while replacing them with cheap Champions.

I have had the same bad experience with Bosh plugs that you have, Mke, and
not just with jeeps. Just replace the Bosh plugs with ANY other brand and
the vehicle runs well again.

Let me clarify the above massage you quoted. ALL Bosh plugs are JUNK,
platinum or regular.

Now, the following pertains to good quality spark plugs. The only
difference between a regular and a platinum spark plug is that the platinum
spark plug will last longer. There will be no difference in performance
between the two.

Old April 7th 07, 02:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jeff Strickland

"Mike" > wrote in message

> "Jeff Strickland" > wrote in message
>>
>> "tinman" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>>>
>>> Thanks, Doug. I'm just going to insist he replace them with regular
>>> plugs and I'll take the *chance* of the engine blowing up
>>>
>>> thx.
>>>
>>> -Tin

>> There's no danger of the motor blowing up. It just won't run well.
>>

> The platinum plugs will last longer but there will be no difference in
> the way the engine runs no matter which plug is used.

Not true IF high power plugs are required.

I agree that platinum plugs won't hurt, and they could help. But if they are
REQUIRED then they have to be used.

Having said that, I do not believe they are required.

VR6 spark plugs Get Involved VW water cooled 0 March 16th 06 08:15 PM
replacing spark-plugs in '96 Passat GLS (2.0L ABA engine) elms88 VW water cooled 6 April 8th 05 02:48 PM
Spark plugs scapa Honda 2 January 4th 05 06:08 AM
spark plugs??? psion Ford Mustang 4 December 19th 04 07:27 PM
spark plugs prc25 Saturn 6 November 24th 04 09:47 PM