XJ oil pressure reading?

Old April 1st 07, 03:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Dutchmajician

Default XJ oil pressure reading?

Just bought an 86 Cherokee 2.8 and oil pressure readings seem weird.

I've just read all the postings covering low oil pressure. (A lot of
postings.) The sender often seems be the prime suspect.

When I first start the engine the gauge shows about 40 pounds and
drops to about zero before there's even much heat in the engine. It
stays there if I run the rpm up to 3500 or so. No warning light comes
on. There are no rod or lifter rattles or knocks that I can hear.
Nothing that sounds like main bearing "clunks" either.

Odometer says about 165k. Seller says it has only been started every
couple of months for about 1+ years. Hasn't been driven because of the
oft mentioned black smoke,stumbling throttle response, rough idle
thingie, whatever that is. She claims no history of low oil pressure
problems. Oil was down a quart and dirty when first checked.

I'm afraid to drive this thing home.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Lance Ferguson

Old April 1st 07, 04:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Earle Horton[_17_]

Have a tow service bring it to your home. Then work on it at your leisure.
Does this beast have a carburetor? Black smoke could just be a stuck or
non-working choke. Get a new sending unit. They are cheap.

Earle

oups.com...

Old April 1st 07, 06:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
billy ray

Be sure to throw a mechanical gauge on it before
replacing the sending unit. A lot of auto parts stores will 'lend' you the
gauge..

om...

Old April 4th 07, 05:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Dutchmajician

Well, mystery solved. I couldn't find a mechanical gage to test the
oil pressure. It occured to me to buy an aftermarket kit to mount an
auxillary gage and premanently replace the old sender and gage. This
avoided replacing a part with a bad failure reputation with another of
the same.

It cost 16 bucks.

The oil pressure is really just fine.

Lance

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

Old April 4th 07, 06:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
SnoMan

On 4 Apr 2007 09:51:44 -0700, "Dutchmajician"
> wrote:

>Well, mystery solved. I couldn't find a mechanical gage to test the
>oil pressure. It occured to me to buy an aftermarket kit to mount an
>auxillary gage and premanently replace the old sender and gage. This
>avoided replacing a part with a bad failure reputation with another of
>the same.
>
>It cost 16 bucks.
>
>The oil pressure is really just fine.

Nice solution. That 2.8 is a GM engine and basically a sturdy design
(it was morphed into a 3.1 and a 3.4 too) and if you keep it full of
coolant and clean oil it should run a long time.
-----------------
TheSnoMan.com
Old April 5th 07, 12:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
billy ray

Won't it start throwing codes of the computer thinks the engine has no oil
pressure?

ups.com...

Old April 5th 07, 01:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
SnoMan

On Wed, 4 Apr 2007 19:37:44 -0400, "billy ray"
> wrote:

>Won't it start throwing codes of the computer thinks the engine has no oil
>pressure?

Not on a 86
TheSnoMan.com

Odometer reading Thomas Waldron Jeep 3 October 30th 06 08:00 PM
Odometer Reading ? Brian VW air cooled 6 March 2nd 06 01:33 AM
Thank-you for reading my message dave Corvette 0 August 2nd 05 05:30 PM
Explorer check gage light and oil pressure not reading Lance Ford Explorer 3 December 30th 04 02:59 PM
High Oil Pressure Reading - Sending Unit? Tirya Jeep 10 December 27th 04 04:29 PM