Timing belt - mileage vs time

Old July 19th 05, 02:18 AM

jim beam wrote:

> i've spent a whole lot of time in junk yards over the years [a great
> place to see a lot of failures] and gotta say, it's pretty unusual to
> see a [honda] timing belt that's in such bad condition that i'd be
> concerned about failure just through age. theoretically, yes, belts
> crack, belt fibers fatigue and teeth fall off, but this is seldom
> without any form of visible deterioration. i say, do a visual
> inspection. if it apears to be in bad shape, cracking, fraying, teeth
> worn or deformed, yes, replace regardless of mileage. but if it's not,
> and you /know/ for sure mileage is within spec, i'd stick with earl's
> advice.

How do I inspect the TB? It appears to be under a cover that's between
the water pump and the engine?

Some info FWIW:
90 Civic (bought new 2/90); 116k miles, original timing belt and water
pump.
(previous Usenet research indicated engine damage from a break
was relatively rare? Anybody got real data on this?)
~8k miles/year, 1500 highway, rest 4 miles/day to work.

Recent problems:

Transmission made a grinding noise while in neutral/park, did it 3
times then stopped - loose/broken parking pawl?

Minor oil leak - a few drips a day.

Mild "rubbing" noise from left front wheel; goes away when brakes
applied. CV joints replaced with rebuilts a few years ago.

Same "hot engine after stopping" as reported in another thread - did it
once after a few hours of highway driving, hasn't done it since.

Latest problem:
Wouldn't start Sunday noon - turned over, but no ignition.
Left it, had a friend check it Monday morning, said it fired right up.
Went back after work with him, and it wouldn't start again :^(
Popped air hose in front of injector in case air filter was clogged
(bolts are rusted thus can't check it); didn't seem to help.
Let it sit for 5-10 minutes, gave it one last try before giving up and
having it towed to dealer, and it fired up - ???

Is it the fuel pump/filter, the timing belt, or something else?

On my 81 Civic once I had a vacuum line come off; it would stall, and
not start unless I took the air cleaner cover off and waited a few
minutes.

I really like this hatchback, and until Honda starts making them again,
I'd rather not have to replace my 90; but I also need to have the body
bondo-ed every year to get through PA inspection, and that's starting
to get old too :^(

My dealer recently moved off the bus line, and they've never been big
on loaners, so I generally have to be desperate to take it to them :^(

Ron Bauerle

Old July 19th 05, 04:18 AM
jim beam

> jim beam wrote:
>

>>i've spent a whole lot of time in junk yards over the years [a great
>>place to see a lot of failures] and gotta say, it's pretty unusual to
>>see a [honda] timing belt that's in such bad condition that i'd be
>>concerned about failure just through age. theoretically, yes, belts
>>crack, belt fibers fatigue and teeth fall off, but this is seldom
>>without any form of visible deterioration. i say, do a visual
>>inspection. if it apears to be in bad shape, cracking, fraying, teeth
>>worn or deformed, yes, replace regardless of mileage. but if it's not,
>>and you /know/ for sure mileage is within spec, i'd stick with earl's
>>advice.

> How do I inspect the TB? It appears to be under a cover that's between
> the water pump and the engine?

take the valve cover off and you can remove the top part of the belt
cover easily.

> Some info FWIW:
> 90 Civic (bought new 2/90); 116k miles, original timing belt and water
> pump.
> (previous Usenet research indicated engine damage from a break
> was relatively rare? Anybody got real data on this?)
> ~8k miles/year, 1500 highway, rest 4 miles/day to work.

"relatively rare" is too hard to quantify. probability of failure
increases with mileage.

> Recent problems:
>
> Transmission made a grinding noise while in neutral/park, did it 3
> times then stopped - loose/broken parking pawl?
>
> Minor oil leak - a few drips a day.
>
> Mild "rubbing" noise from left front wheel; goes away when brakes
> applied. CV joints replaced with rebuilts a few years ago.
>
> Same "hot engine after stopping" as reported in another thread - did it
> once after a few hours of highway driving, hasn't done it since.

main relay

> Latest problem:
> Wouldn't start Sunday noon - turned over, but no ignition.
> Left it, had a friend check it Monday morning, said it fired right up.
> Went back after work with him, and it wouldn't start again :^(
> Popped air hose in front of injector in case air filter was clogged
> (bolts are rusted thus can't check it); didn't seem to help.
> Let it sit for 5-10 minutes, gave it one last try before giving up and
> having it towed to dealer, and it fired up - ???

main relay

> Is it the fuel pump/filter, the timing belt, or something else?

main relay

> On my 81 Civic once I had a vacuum line come off; it would stall, and
> not start unless I took the air cleaner cover off and waited a few
> minutes.
>
> I really like this hatchback, and until Honda starts making them again,
> I'd rather not have to replace my 90; but I also need to have the body
> bondo-ed every year to get through PA inspection, and that's starting
> to get old too :^(

i'm with you on the hatchback thing. let's all write to honda usa &
tell them we want our hatchbacks back!

Old July 19th 05, 04:23 PM
slim

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" wrote:

> In article >, slim >
> wrote:
>
> > > If a new mechanic took six hours, would you have a problem paying that six
> > > hour charge?

> > Nice attempt at a strawman.

> no, it's the truth.

What dealer would hire (and keep) a wrench who does a two hour job in six?

Strawman....burned.

--------------------

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/i...now-usat_x.htm

"Other top officials, including Cheney and Rumsfeld, said the war would
last
"weeks, not months.""

http://www.natcath.com/NCR_Online/ar...05/052705w.php

"More than two years into a war that was supposed to be quick and easy,
and
the justification for which has spun from removing a dictator to
eliminating
weapons of mass destruction to fighting terrorism and, finally, to
planting
democracy that would then spread across the Middle East, Iraq is in chaos."

RayGun sends his lackey to kiss Saddam's ass.
http://www.worldmessenger.20m.com/weapons.html#wms

http://www.bushflash.com/thanks.html
WHY IRAQ?: http://www.angelfire.com/creep/gwbush/remindus.html
http://www.quantumphilosophy.net/fil...yan_Medium.mov
http://www.toostupidtobepresident.co...ickenhawks.htm

"Bubba got a BJ, BU$H screwed us all!" - Slim
Old July 19th 05, 04:24 PM
slim

Steve Bigelow wrote:

> "slim" > wrote in message
> >

> > Steve Bigelow wrote:

> >> If a new mechanic took six hours, would you have a problem paying that
> >> six
> >> hour charge?

> > Nice attempt at a strawman.

> Thanks! Enjoyed your rebuttal as well!
>
> >> If the experienced mechanic, with a huge personal investment in the
> >> proper
> >> tools, does it in two hours, why should he be paid less?
> >> Because he's better?
> >>
> >> Same result, same charge.

> > Not true.

> Ok, so what's the difference between the two jobs above?
>
> > The Scumbag says he "has" to charge $675 for a belt/pump job.
> >
> > Most mechanics around me will do the job for $400-475.

> So what's the problem? Didn't shop around?

I got mine done for $400 by a mechanic who does a lot of Hondas.

--------------------

Old July 19th 05, 10:38 PM
Steve Bigelow

"slim" > wrote in message

>> > The Scumbag says he "has" to charge $675 for a belt/pump job.

> I got mine done for $400 by a mechanic who does a lot of Hondas.

Well, that's clear.
Thanks for playing.

Old July 19th 05, 10:39 PM
Steve Bigelow

"slim" > wrote in message

> "Elmo P. Shagnasty" wrote:

>> > Nice attempt at a strawman.

>> no, it's the truth.

> What dealer would hire (and keep) a wrench who does a two hour job in six?
>
> Strawman....burned.

You work hourly, don't you....