Roll Bars???

Old July 21st 07, 04:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

Default Roll Bars???

>>>How does that happen? When we're in the car, we never see the roll bar,
>>>and it
>>>has no noticeable effect on air flow,so how does it decrease your
>>>"feeling of
>>>freedom"?

>>Some of us have a mental image of our surroundings even if we are not
>>looking
>>at it.

> Aah, very zen. 8
>
> -- Larry

I'd say it's more like the mental image is an image of being rearended
(that's called paranoia). I can see no other way a persons' comfort level
could be lowered by the roll bar. Gosh and a lessened feeling of freedom?
Now you sound like those motorcyclists that say if they have to wear a
helmet it totally ruins it and they'd just as soon, not ride at all. Hmmmm.

To each his / her own I guess.

Chris
99BBB w/rollbar

Old July 21st 07, 07:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Chris D'Agnolo wrote:

> I'd say it's more like the mental image is an image of being rearended
> (that's called paranoia). I can see no other way a persons' comfort level
> could be lowered by the roll bar. Gosh and a lessened feeling of freedom?
> Now you sound like those motorcyclists that say if they have to wear a
> helmet it totally ruins it and they'd just as soon, not ride at all. Hmmmm.
>
> To each his / her own I guess.
>
> Chris
> 99BBB w/rollbar

Considering the number of miatas on the road with rollbar installed, I
would think that we would hear about someone smashing their head during
a rear-end collision on about a monthly basis.

We don't.

Off to experience a very limited amount of freedom feeling with my
closed-in miata now that the rain has momentarily stopped.

Pat
Old July 22nd 07, 01:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Leon van Dommelen

pws > wrote:

>Leon van Dommelen wrote:
>> pws > wrote:

>>>Errr, make that both cars that I installed bars in.

>> Always ready for a liquid refreshment during driving, this Pat. Couldn't
>> live without.
>>
>> Leon

>"Because the man from Mars stopped eating cars
>And eating bars
>And now he only eats guitars
>Get up!"
>
>Come on Leon, you know the song.

Actually, no. But I guess now I do.

Leon

--
Leon van Dommelen Bess, the Miata Bozo, the Miata
http://www.dommelen.net/miata
Old July 22nd 07, 01:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Leon van Dommelen

pws > wrote:

>Iva wrote:
>
>> Wow, that's high. Our local club does it for a $50 donation to the
>> club. We usually have 2 or 3 working on the bar together and it only
>> takes 4-5 hours total. It took just under 4 hours to put in Vixen's
>> new Hard Dog M2 Sport. And that included trimming the carpet.
>>
>> It took me about an hour total to alter the boot cover the next day.
>>
>> Iva & Vixen
>> 2004 Classic Red
>> No more winkin' Miata

>That's what I was thinking. $800.00 would be about $175.00 to $200.00 an
>hour in labor charges for a competent shop, which is extremely high.
>
>Bell Engineering only charged $75.00 an hour in labor for my exhaust
>installation. (11.75 hours total, a bit pricey) :-)

Can you clarify this?

Leon

Old July 22nd 07, 01:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Iva

Pat wrote:
> Iva wrote:
>
>> Wow, that's high. Our local club does it for a $50 donation to the
>> club. We usually have 2 or 3 working on the bar together and it
>> only takes 4-5 hours total. It took just under 4 hours to put in
>> Vixen's new Hard Dog M2 Sport. And that included trimming the
>> carpet.
>>
>> It took me about an hour total to alter the boot cover the next
>> day.

> That's what I was thinking. $800.00 would be about $175.00 to
> $200.00 an hour in labor charges for a competent shop, which is
> extremely high.
>
> Bell Engineering only charged $75.00 an hour in labor for my exhaust
> installation. (11.75 hours total, a bit pricey) :-)
>
> $50.00? Do you have to be a member? I would expect a lot of people
> to take advantage of that opportunity.
> The local club here had/may still have tech days where they did
> rollbar installations, but it was not an automatic thing for $50.00.

Yes, you have to be a member. And you have to either help or take
pictures and provide food and beverages.

Iva & Vixen
2004 Classic Red
No more winkin' Miata

Old July 22nd 07, 06:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Grant Edwards

On 2007-07-22, Leon van Dommelen > wrote:

>>"Because the man from Mars stopped eating cars
>> And eating bars
>> And now he only eats guitars
>> Get up!"
>>
>>Come on Leon, you know the song.

> Actually, no. But I guess now I do.

"Rapture" by Blondie from the 1981 album "Autoamerican". It
hit #1 in the US, #5 in the UK, and #4 in Australia and Italy.

The coda from Rapture was the first "rap" that a lot of us had
heard at the time.

Here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHPikUPlRD8

It's a classic...

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! PARDON me, am I
at speaking ENGLISH?
Old July 22nd 07, 02:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Leon van Dommelen

Grant Edwards > wrote:

>On 2007-07-22, Leon van Dommelen > wrote:
>
>>>"Because the man from Mars stopped eating cars
>>> And eating bars
>>> And now he only eats guitars
>>> Get up!"
>>>
>>>Come on Leon, you know the song.

>> Actually, no. But I guess now I do.

>"Rapture" by Blondie from the 1981 album "Autoamerican". It
>hit #1 in the US, #5 in the UK, and #4 in Australia and Italy.

Ah. I was a hard working graduate student at the time.

Leon

Old July 22nd 07, 02:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Leon van Dommelen wrote:

> Can you clarify this?
>
> Leon

Over $1500.00 total on the exhaust, that is if you don't count the turbo
manifold, then it breaks $2100.00, or about half the blue book value of
the car at the time.
The previous owner was a real spender.

Pat
Old July 22nd 07, 03:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Leon van Dommelen wrote:

> Ah. I was a hard working graduate student at the time.
>
> Leon

I was a 12 year old at the time....Blondie looked good...... :-)

Pat
Old July 22nd 07, 03:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Iva wrote:

> Yes, you have to be a member. And you have to either help or take
> pictures and provide food and beverages.
>
> Iva & Vixen
> 2004 Classic Red
> No more winkin' Miata

That knocks my anti-social self out. :-)

Pat

Roll Bars? Bruce Yettra Mazda 19 April 21st 07 04:14 PM
Seat Belts and roll bars Chip Jeep 0 February 9th 06 12:20 AM
Convertible Roll over bars - windshield frame Mr.X Technology 13 January 22nd 06 06:14 PM
roll bars dave Mazda 13 December 26th 05 07:23 PM
E39 540iA ('00): Eibach / Dinan Anti-roll Bars Ken R. BMW 0 May 17th 05 05:39 PM