GM goes further down the dumper; NiHM battery supplier broke due to Chevron

Old February 29th 08, 11:35 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes,rec.autos.makers.chrysler,alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.toyota
DeserTBoB

Default GM goes further down the dumper; NiHM battery supplier broke due to Chevron

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 15:33:11 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
> wrote:

>"William W Western" > wrote in message
>newsGUxj.17411$w94.13478@pd7urf2no...
>
>> Of course wind chill readings are always prefaced by
>> "feels like". But at any rate what I said was:
>> A car sitting in about -34C with no wind will
>> stand a better chance starting than one sitting in -34C with a windchill
>> of -46. Which says nothing about cold or colder, just what I observed this
>> past winter out on my street.

>You have an amazing power of observation then. There is no association
>between wind-chill and your car starting.
>
>> And what CAA wait times would likely confirm.

>What are CAA wait times? <snip>

Canuckian Automobile Association, the "cooler" counterpart to AAA down
south.

> In what way do they confirm your car starting
>easier or with more difficulty? <snip>

CAA tow truck driver turns key, gets a sullen "rrrrrrrrRRRRRRrrrrr,"
pulls key out, looks at owner and say, "She's cold, eh. Let's put a
heater on 'er. Gotta Molson's, eh?"

Alternate take: "We're NOT gonna crash, eh...this is a BEER truck,
eh!"
Old February 29th 08, 11:49 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes,rec.autos.makers.chrysler,alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.toyota
DeserTBoB

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 22:01:42 GMT, "William W Western"
> wrote:

> I am still dubious about electric cars in Winnipeg. <snip>

I would be the opposite. Conductors have less resistance at cold
temperatures. "Gel state" or semi-solid or matted state batteries
(BAT-trees up there, eh) are far less affected by cold than were
aqueous H2SO4 lead-calcium cells, especially when holding a full
charge, Also, like the turbojet engine, the electric motor (especially
AC) only has one moving part...the armature, while the piston engine
can have thousands, all depending on lubrication and proper
clearances.

Besides, if electric traction was so bad in cold weather, why were
both CPR and CNR so eager to dieselize their motive power in the
1950s? Reason: Diesel-electric is FAR more reliable in cold weather
than was steam...although both roads had some pretty impressive
engines in their day, eh.

Coming up soon?

Don't think DC traction motors are the end all/be all, either. US and
Canuckian RRs have been on variable frequency AC traction for more
than a decade now, obviating the usual arced commutators and wearing
brushes, and with greater tractive effort and less weight (no huge
pole shoes to add to the heft.) GM and Ford are clueless about the
technology, even though GM had been building AC traction locomotives
(in Canada, eh...they don't build anything in the US anymore, but that
may change) before unloading the whole division on foreign investors
last year. AC traction, once adopted will make the current (not a
pun) DC traction obsolete overnight, mainly due to copper cost savings
and superior power/weight ratios. Of course, first, we have to get
Bil Oil to quit blocking electric automotive traction development, as
ChevronTexico blatantly is now...with George Bush Bird's blessing,
obviously.

Sure sign of $4/gal. gas this summer:

"Ah don' see gas goin' to $4 a gallon anytime soon...." --George
Dubya Bush, biggest moron ever to hold the office of president of the
US.
Old February 29th 08, 11:51 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes,rec.autos.makers.chrysler,alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.toyota
DeserTBoB

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 22:05:01 GMT, "William W Western"
> wrote:

>>I hope you are in good shape, that a rather large area and things a pretty
>>far apart up there.

> According to the charts I am obese! If I am not careful I
>will not fit into the Fiero this summer. The charts do not lie. <snip>

Neither does the Fiero, eh. Time to lay off the brewskis. Molsons
LIES about their carbohydrate content, eh! The label says "one belt
notch" each, but aye if it isn't really two!
Old March 1st 08, 12:19 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes,rec.autos.makers.chrysler,alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.toyota
William W Western[_2_]

> CAA tow truck driver turns key, gets a sullen "rrrrrrrrRRRRRRrrrrr,"
> pulls key out, looks at owner and say, "She's cold, eh. Let's put a
> heater on 'er. Gotta Molson's, eh?"
>
> Alternate take: "We're NOT gonna crash, eh...this is a BEER truck,
> eh!"

Now you're talking some stuff I can figure oot, dBob!
Old March 1st 08, 01:28 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes,rec.autos.makers.chrysler,alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.toyota
DeserTBoB

On Sat, 01 Mar 2008 00:19:36 GMT, "William W Western"
> wrote:

>> CAA tow truck driver turns key, gets a sullen "rrrrrrrrRRRRRRrrrrr,"
>> pulls key out, looks at owner and say, "She's cold, eh. Let's put a
>> heater on 'er. Gotta Molson's, eh?"
>>
>> Alternate take: "We're NOT gonna crash, eh...this is a BEER truck,
>> eh!"

> Now you're talking some stuff I can figure oot, dBob! <snip>

Beauty, eh?!
Old March 1st 08, 10:43 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes,rec.autos.makers.chrysler,alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.toyota
80 Knight[_2_]

"DeserTBoB" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 22:01:42 GMT, "William W Western"
> > wrote:
> Sure sign of $4/gal. gas this summer:
>
> "Ah don' see gas goin' to $4 a gallon anytime soon...." --George
> Dubya Bush, biggest moron ever to hold the office of president of the
> US.

Did Bush manage to get that entire sentence out without either stopping to
think, or smiling, as though he was looking directly at the sun?

Old March 1st 08, 01:37 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes,rec.autos.makers.chrysler,alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.toyota
cavedweller

On Feb 29, 8:28 pm, DeserTBoB > wrote:
> On Sat, 01 Mar 2008 00:19:36 GMT, "William W Western"
>
> > wrote:
> >> CAA tow truck driver turns key, gets a sullen "rrrrrrrrRRRRRRrrrrr,"
> >> pulls key out, looks at owner and say, "She's cold, eh. Let's put a
> >> heater on 'er. Gotta Molson's, eh?"

> >> Alternate take: "We're NOT gonna crash, eh...this is a BEER truck,
> >> eh!"

> > Now you're talking some stuff I can figure oot, dBob! <snip>

> Beauty, eh?!

Hoser
Old March 1st 08, 02:24 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes,rec.autos.makers.chrysler,alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.toyota

"cavedweller" > wrote in message
> On Feb 29, 8:28 pm, DeserTBoB > wrote:

>> > Now you're talking some stuff I can figure oot, dBob!
>> > <snip>

>> Beauty, eh?!

> Hoser

G'day. If you guys start singing the 12 Days of Christmas, I'm going to
call Geddy Lee and offer him 5 bucks (Canadian of course) not to sing with
you.

Charles the Curmudgeon

Old March 1st 08, 03:19 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes,rec.autos.makers.chrysler,alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.toyota
William W Western[_2_]

> G'day. If you guys start singing the 12 Days of Christmas, I'm going to
> call Geddy Lee and offer him 5 bucks (Canadian of course) not to sing with
> you.

I believe I will put on my thinking toque now and just
mull that over, eh?

Old March 1st 08, 03:46 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes,rec.autos.makers.chrysler,alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.toyota
DeserTBoB

On Sat, 1 Mar 2008 05:43:43 -0500, "80 Knight" >
wrote:

>"DeserTBoB" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 22:01:42 GMT, "William W Western"
>> > wrote:
>> Sure sign of $4/gal. gas this summer:
>>
>> "Ah don' see gas goin' to $4 a gallon anytime soon...." --George
>> Dubya Bush, biggest moron ever to hold the office of president of the
>> US.

>Did Bush manage to get that entire sentence out without either stopping to
>think, or smiling, as though he was looking directly at the sun? <snip>

I think there were a couple of the usual "uhhhhhhhs..." interspersed
here and there, but they're so common, I usually don't note them.