Over heating 4.0L

Old May 4th 05, 02:44 AM
dcollivier

Default Over heating 4.0L

90 Cherokee 4.0L back on road after winter, it now overheats. I changed
the thermostat and refilled. Still overheats. I thought that maybe it
could be an air lock or something, but after playing with the system I can't
seem to get it any better. I tried burping the system by cracking the hoses
open one at a time and allowing some air out but it did not seem to help.
It does not seem like there is any flow in the upper hose at all, but there
is coolant in it. Any other check for a waterpump before I throw parts at
it. There is no leaking fluid anywhere in the system, the shaft on the pump
also feels fine. Any help would be appreciated. Dave.

Old May 4th 05, 03:12 AM
RoyJ

Sounds like a bad thermostat or thermostat in backwards.

Old May 4th 05, 03:16 AM

I also had a overheating problem with my 90 XJ. I did a bit of research
and found this swap. Pretty easy and cost less than 150.00 ........No
more problems.

http://www.off-road.com/jeep/cheroke.../radiator.html

Old May 4th 05, 03:39 AM
Drifter

On Tue, 3 May 2005 21:44:50 -0400, "dcollivier"
> wrote:

>90 Cherokee 4.0L back on road after winter, it now overheats. I changed
>the thermostat and refilled. Still overheats. I thought that maybe it
>could be an air lock or something, but after playing with the system I can't
>seem to get it any better. I tried burping the system by cracking the hoses
>open one at a time and allowing some air out but it did not seem to help.
>It does not seem like there is any flow in the upper hose at all, but there
>is coolant in it. Any other check for a waterpump before I throw parts at
>it. There is no leaking fluid anywhere in the system, the shaft on the pump
>also feels fine. Any help would be appreciated. Dave.

Do you have a 2'nd electric fan? Is it kicking on at all?
also did you check for actual flow of fluid? I have seen an old water
pump that looked fine from the outside but the vanes were pretty much
corroded right down to stumps and it really wasn't moving any water.

Drifter
"I've been here, I've been there..."
Old May 4th 05, 04:37 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

If you can't see the coolant flow, at normal operating temperature,
than I would check that it's not upside down, the big end always goes
towards the block as pictured at:
http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoWaterpump.htm If good, take the thermostat
out and test it with wife's turkey thermometer in a pan of water on the
stove.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old May 4th 05, 01:28 PM
Paw

Just to chime in - this is what was wrong last time when mine started to
overhear - electric fan was shot and wasn't kicking in...

Paul

Old May 4th 05, 02:03 PM
Mike Romain

Then you are facing bigger troubles soon. We don't even have an
electric fan in ours, just the clutch fan and it takes 4 hours of heavy
low range off roading in plus 100 deg temps to make our red light come
on.

And at the age of the OP's Jeep, the clutch on the fan is sure suspect.

To test it, he can heat up the engine and have someone shut it down
while he watches the fan. If the fan keeps on spinning hot, it is
dead. When hot it should stop almost instantly.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old May 4th 05, 04:19 PM
Paw

great MIke... just what I wanted to hear... The XJ i picked up last
year is trouble all around.. not enough money to fix presently. I'll ask
you since I've posted the question 1x before and no answer - it's a 98XJ -
bought from original owner last year in Massachusetts - 110000miles - the
main thing I noticed at the time was there was a LOT of rust all over the
parts.. the owner didn't have an explanation.. but someone suggested the
winter weather/etc in MA caused the rust due to salt and wet weather - not
just surface rust on some parts... heavy rust - such as on power steering
lines, injectors, etc. Have you run across this at all ever?

Thanks, Paul

Old May 4th 05, 04:57 PM
Mike Romain

ROTFLMAO!

Man oh man have I ever! I seriously have no feeling in any of my
knuckles because of the number of times I have ripped the skin off from
freaking rust eaten bolts and nuts.

The damn rust eats the heads off so wrenches don't work.

My CJ7's body was so rotten someone had to lift up on the tail light so
I could close the door. Really. When I finally snapped or ground off
all the body bolts and winched the tub up to a tree by the roll bar, the
front cowl fell off, the floor fell out, the tailgate fell off and I was
left with a roll bar and most of two rear fenders hanging from the
tree....

Welcome to the salt belt.....

The good news is your rotors are under recall because they already have
rotted out due to rust.

Mike

Old May 4th 05, 07:17 PM
Paw

thanks.. i just needed a sanity check.. all my cars have been from NJ - and
none looked like the 98 from MA - yes.. I have already been the recipient of
the no skin on the knuckles + bolt snapped off for free award
Thanks Mike

"Mike Romain" > wrote in message
> ROTFLMAO!
>
> Man oh man have I ever! I seriously have no feeling in any of my
> knuckles because of the number of times I have ripped the skin off from
> freaking rust eaten bolts and nuts.
>
> The damn rust eats the heads off so wrenches don't work.
>
> My CJ7's body was so rotten someone had to lift up on the tail light so
> I could close the door. Really. When I finally snapped or ground off
> all the body bolts and winched the tub up to a tree by the roll bar, the
> front cowl fell off, the floor fell out, the tailgate fell off and I was
> left with a roll bar and most of two rear fenders hanging from the
> tree....
>
> Welcome to the salt belt.....
>
> The good news is your rotors are under recall because they already have
> rotted out due to rust.
>
> Mike
>

> Paw wrote:
>>
>> great MIke... just what I wanted to hear... The XJ i picked up last
>> year is trouble all around.. not enough money to fix presently. I'll ask
>> you since I've posted the question 1x before and no answer - it's a
>> 98XJ -
>> bought from original owner last year in Massachusetts - 110000miles - the
>> main thing I noticed at the time was there was a LOT of rust all over the
>> parts.. the owner didn't have an explanation.. but someone suggested the
>> winter weather/etc in MA caused the rust due to salt and wet weather -
>> not
>> just surface rust on some parts... heavy rust - such as on power steering
>> lines, injectors, etc. Have you run across this at all ever?
>>
>> Thanks, Paul
>>
>> "Mike Romain" > wrote in message
>> > Then you are facing bigger troubles soon. We don't even have an
>> > electric fan in ours, just the clutch fan and it takes 4 hours of heavy
>> > low range off roading in plus 100 deg temps to make our red light come
>> > on.
>> >
>> > And at the age of the OP's Jeep, the clutch on the fan is sure suspect.
>> >
>> > To test it, he can heat up the engine and have someone shut it down
>> > while he watches the fan. If the fan keeps on spinning hot, it is
>> > dead. When hot it should stop almost instantly.
>> >
>> > Mike
>> > 86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00
>> > 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

4.0L wrangler: Replace a manifold myself or have a mechanic do it? [email protected] Jeep 10 March 28th 05 04:02 PM
01 XJ 4.0L Whistle Ed Bacon, Jr. Jeep 4 February 22nd 05 12:15 AM
over heating longshanks Mazda 1 February 10th 05 03:02 AM
94 Saturn SL over heating RT Saturn 6 December 7th 04 03:00 PM