76 year old man *SHOCKED* that 'street racer' law used against him

Old February 8th 08, 05:05 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Brent P[_1_]

Default 76 year old man *SHOCKED* that 'street racer' law used against him

http://www.ottawasun.com/News/Ottawa...31646-sun.html

<...>

A 76-year-old Pembroke-area man doesn't see himself as a street racer,
but the law clearly does.

Norman Harding was charged going 50 km/h over the speed limit on Jan. 17.
As a result, his car was impounded, his licence was suspended for seven
days and he was fined $2,000.

Harding feels the new Safer Roads for a Safer Ontario Act was aimed at
street racers, not an elderly man in a hurry driving his wife to a
non-emergency doctor's appointment.

"Hopefully, I can explain to them that I am not this kind of person,"
said the soft-spoken man of his Feb. 21 court date in Killaloe.

Harding was driving on Hwy. 515 toward Pembroke when he passed a truck he
said was moving too slowly.

He accelerated and moments later saw a cop car. There were sirens and he
pulled over.

The OPP officer clocked Harding doing 130 km/h in an 80 km/h zone and
told him he would be charged.

<...>

He faces a maximum fine of $10,000.

<...>

"This legislation was not for the likes of me. I don't drive like that.
It's just a case that the truck was pooping along and I passed to get
away from him," said Harding.

Bob Nichols, a spokesman for the transportation ministry, said the
legislation came into effect in September and has three categories for
drivers: Driving contest, street racing and stunt driving. Harding falls
into the latter.

He said the definition of stunt driving is when a driver is going 50 km/h
above the limit.

<...>

------------------------

As much as I hate these stupid 'tool' laws, there's a certain feeling of
justice when one these 'it won't be used against people like me' types
has one used against him. His whole defense is that he's not the kind of
person this particular law was aimed at... it's comical in a way.

Old February 8th 08, 05:43 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Harry K

On Feb 8, 8:05*am, (Brent P) wrote:
> http://www.ottawasun.com/News/Ottawa...07/4831646-sun....
>
> <...>
>
> *A 76-year-old Pembroke-area man doesn't see himself as a street racer,
> but the law clearly does.
>
> Norman Harding was charged going 50 km/h over the speed limit on Jan. 17.
> As a result, his car was impounded, his licence was suspended for seven
> days and he was fined $2,000.
>
> Harding feels the new Safer Roads for a Safer Ontario Act was aimed at
> street racers, not an elderly man in a hurry driving his wife to a
> non-emergency doctor's appointment.
>
> *"Hopefully, I can explain to them that I am not this kind of person,"
> said the soft-spoken man of his Feb. 21 court date in Killaloe.
>
> Harding was driving on Hwy. 515 toward Pembroke when he passed a truck he
> said was moving too slowly.
>
> He accelerated and moments later saw a cop car. There were sirens and he
> pulled over.
>
> The OPP officer clocked Harding doing 130 km/h in an 80 km/h zone and
> told him he would be charged.
>
> <...>
>
> He faces a maximum fine of $10,000.
>
> <...>
>
> "This legislation was not for the likes of me. I don't drive like that.
> It's just a case that the truck was pooping along and I passed to get
> away from him," said Harding.
>
> *Bob Nichols, a spokesman for the transportation ministry, said the
> legislation came into effect in September and has three categories for
> drivers: Driving contest, street racing and stunt driving. Harding falls
> into the latter.
>
> He said the definition of stunt driving is when a driver is going 50 km/h
> above the limit.
>
> <...>
>
> ------------------------
>
> As much as I hate these stupid 'tool' laws, there's a certain feeling of
> justice when one these 'it won't be used against people like me' types
> has one used against him. His whole defense is that he's not the kind of
> person this particular law was aimed at... it's comical in a way.

While totally ignoring the egregious exceedign of the speed limit.
You may now argue "but it was safe", "unpderposted limit', etc.

Harry K
Old February 8th 08, 06:04 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Brent P[_1_]

In article >, Harry K wrote:
> On Feb 8, 8:05*am, (Brent P) wrote:
>> http://www.ottawasun.com/News/Ottawa...07/4831646-sun....
>>
>> <...>
>>
>> *A 76-year-old Pembroke-area man doesn't see himself as a street racer,
>> but the law clearly does.
>>
>> Norman Harding was charged going 50 km/h over the speed limit on Jan. 17.
>> As a result, his car was impounded, his licence was suspended for seven
>> days and he was fined $2,000.
>>
>> Harding feels the new Safer Roads for a Safer Ontario Act was aimed at
>> street racers, not an elderly man in a hurry driving his wife to a
>> non-emergency doctor's appointment.
>>
>> *"Hopefully, I can explain to them that I am not this kind of person,"
>> said the soft-spoken man of his Feb. 21 court date in Killaloe.
>>
>> Harding was driving on Hwy. 515 toward Pembroke when he passed a truck he
>> said was moving too slowly.
>>
>> He accelerated and moments later saw a cop car. There were sirens and he
>> pulled over.
>>
>> The OPP officer clocked Harding doing 130 km/h in an 80 km/h zone and
>> told him he would be charged.
>>
>> <...>
>>
>> He faces a maximum fine of $10,000.
>>
>> <...>
>>
>> "This legislation was not for the likes of me. I don't drive like that.
>> It's just a case that the truck was pooping along and I passed to get
>> away from him," said Harding.
>>
>> *Bob Nichols, a spokesman for the transportation ministry, said the
>> legislation came into effect in September and has three categories for
>> drivers: Driving contest, street racing and stunt driving. Harding falls
>> into the latter.
>>
>> He said the definition of stunt driving is when a driver is going 50 km/h
>> above the limit.
>>
>> <...>
>>
>> ------------------------
>>
>> As much as I hate these stupid 'tool' laws, there's a certain feeling of
>> justice when one these 'it won't be used against people like me' types
>> has one used against him. His whole defense is that he's not the kind of
>> person this particular law was aimed at... it's comical in a way.

> While totally ignoring the egregious exceedign of the speed limit.
> You may now argue "but it was safe", "unpderposted limit', etc.

It's not relevant to my point. The point is these stupid tool laws that
people think will never be applied to them because they aren't the target
group.

Old February 8th 08, 06:13 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
N8N

On Feb 8, 11:43*am, Harry K > wrote:
> On Feb 8, 8:05*am, (Brent P) wrote:
>

> >http://www.ottawasun.com/News/Ottawa...07/4831646-sun....

> > <...>

> > *A 76-year-old Pembroke-area man doesn't see himself as a street racer,
> > but the law clearly does.

> > Norman Harding was charged going 50 km/h over the speed limit on Jan. 17..
> > As a result, his car was impounded, his licence was suspended for seven
> > days and he was fined $2,000.

> > Harding feels the new Safer Roads for a Safer Ontario Act was aimed at
> > street racers, not an elderly man in a hurry driving his wife to a
> > non-emergency doctor's appointment.

> > *"Hopefully, I can explain to them that I am not this kind of person,"
> > said the soft-spoken man of his Feb. 21 court date in Killaloe.

> > Harding was driving on Hwy. 515 toward Pembroke when he passed a truck he
> > said was moving too slowly.

> > He accelerated and moments later saw a cop car. There were sirens and he
> > pulled over.

> > The OPP officer clocked Harding doing 130 km/h in an 80 km/h zone and
> > told him he would be charged.

> > <...>

> > He faces a maximum fine of $10,000.

> > <...>

> > "This legislation was not for the likes of me. I don't drive like that.
> > It's just a case that the truck was pooping along and I passed to get
> > away from him," said Harding.

> > *Bob Nichols, a spokesman for the transportation ministry, said the
> > legislation came into effect in September and has three categories for
> > drivers: Driving contest, street racing and stunt driving. Harding falls
> > into the latter.

> > He said the definition of stunt driving is when a driver is going 50 km/h
> > above the limit.

> > <...>

> > ------------------------

> > As much as I hate these stupid 'tool' laws, there's a certain feeling of
> > justice when one these 'it won't be used against people like me' types
> > has one used against him. His whole defense is that he's not the kind of
> > person this particular law was aimed at... it's comical in a way.

> While totally ignoring the egregious exceedign of the speed limit.
> You may now argue "but it was safe", "unpderposted limit', etc.
>
> Harry K

Well, it probably was safe. In addition, the gentleman was clearly
neither racing nor "stunt driving" whatever the hell that means.
(conjures up images of drifting and Evel Kneivel...)

nate
Old February 8th 08, 06:55 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Alan Baker

In article
Harry K > wrote:

> On Feb 8, 8:05*am, (Brent P) wrote:
> > http://www.ottawasun.com/News/Ottawa...07/4831646-sun....
> >
> > <...>
> >
> > *A 76-year-old Pembroke-area man doesn't see himself as a street racer,
> > but the law clearly does.
> >
> > Norman Harding was charged going 50 km/h over the speed limit on Jan. 17.
> > As a result, his car was impounded, his licence was suspended for seven
> > days and he was fined $2,000.
> >
> > Harding feels the new Safer Roads for a Safer Ontario Act was aimed at
> > street racers, not an elderly man in a hurry driving his wife to a
> > non-emergency doctor's appointment.
> >
> > *"Hopefully, I can explain to them that I am not this kind of person,"
> > said the soft-spoken man of his Feb. 21 court date in Killaloe.
> >
> > Harding was driving on Hwy. 515 toward Pembroke when he passed a truck he
> > said was moving too slowly.
> >
> > He accelerated and moments later saw a cop car. There were sirens and he
> > pulled over.
> >
> > The OPP officer clocked Harding doing 130 km/h in an 80 km/h zone and
> > told him he would be charged.
> >
> > <...>
> >
> > He faces a maximum fine of $10,000.
> >
> > <...>
> >
> > "This legislation was not for the likes of me. I don't drive like that.
> > It's just a case that the truck was pooping along and I passed to get
> > away from him," said Harding.
> >
> > *Bob Nichols, a spokesman for the transportation ministry, said the
> > legislation came into effect in September and has three categories for
> > drivers: Driving contest, street racing and stunt driving. Harding falls
> > into the latter.
> >
> > He said the definition of stunt driving is when a driver is going 50 km/h
> > above the limit.
> >
> > <...>
> >
> > ------------------------
> >
> > As much as I hate these stupid 'tool' laws, there's a certain feeling of
> > justice when one these 'it won't be used against people like me' types
> > has one used against him. His whole defense is that he's not the kind of
> > person this particular law was aimed at... it's comical in a way.

> While totally ignoring the egregious exceedign of the speed limit.
> You may now argue "but it was safe", "unpderposted limit', etc.
>
> Harry K

I can't make any specific statements about its safety, but I do know
that many roads in Ontario that are posted at 80 are safe to drive at
quite a bit above that in good conditions.

And it is certainly better to complete a passing maneuver quickly and
decisively.

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia
Old February 8th 08, 11:27 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Matthew T. Russotto

In article >,
N8N > wrote:

>Well, it probably was safe. In addition, the gentleman was clearly
>neither racing nor "stunt driving" whatever the hell that means.
>(conjures up images of drifting and Evel Kneivel...)

Stunt driving means "driving in excess of 50 km/h over the posted
speed limit". It's an Orwellian redefinition of words, in order to
make a new law sound good to the public and the media while actually
having a harmful effect.

Anyone hearing of the proposed law was intended to think that only
"Evel Kneivel" types would be affected, little knowing that 80mph in a
50mph zone while passing a slower vehicle would result in losing thier
car.

result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old February 9th 08, 04:45 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Brent P[_1_]

In article > , Matthew T. Russotto wrote:
> In article >,
> N8N > wrote:
>>
>>Well, it probably was safe. In addition, the gentleman was clearly
>>neither racing nor "stunt driving" whatever the hell that means.
>>(conjures up images of drifting and Evel Kneivel...)

> Stunt driving means "driving in excess of 50 km/h over the posted
> speed limit". It's an Orwellian redefinition of words, in order to
> make a new law sound good to the public and the media while actually
> having a harmful effect.
>
> Anyone hearing of the proposed law was intended to think that only
> "Evel Kneivel" types would be affected, little knowing that 80mph in a
> 50mph zone while passing a slower vehicle would result in losing thier
> car.

And even if they do realize that could be the case they'll argue that it
would never be applied to an ordinary person.

Old February 9th 08, 06:25 PM posted to rec.autos.driving, alt.true-crime, talk.politics.misc
Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS

Anyone doing 130 kph should do some prison time and lose their license
permanently. This guy is a psychopath.
Old February 9th 08, 06:33 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.true-crime,talk.politics.misc
Galen Hekhuis

On Sat, 9 Feb 2008 09:25:13 -0800 (PST), "Speeders & Drunk Drivers are
MURDERERS" > wrote:

>Anyone doing 130 kph should do some prison time and lose their license
>permanently. This guy is a psychopath.

130 kilometers per hour? That's only about 80 mph.
Old February 9th 08, 06:57 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
N8N

On Feb 8, 5:27*pm, (Matthew T. Russotto)
wrote:
> In article >,
>
> N8N > wrote:
>
> >Well, it probably was safe. *In addition, the gentleman was clearly
> >neither racing nor "stunt driving" whatever the hell that means.
> >(conjures up images of drifting and Evel Kneivel...)

> Stunt driving means "driving in excess of 50 km/h over the posted
> speed limit". *It's an Orwellian redefinition of words, in order to
> make a new law sound good to the public and the media while actually
> having a harmful effect.
>
> Anyone hearing of the proposed law was intended to think that only
> "Evel Kneivel" types would be affected, little knowing that 80mph in a
> 50mph zone while passing a slower vehicle would result in losing thier
> car.

Sort of like Virginia's definition of "reckless driving." got it.

nate

(doubleplusgood!)