2002 Mustang 6cyl -Automatic slow response to downshifting

Old October 4th 06, 05:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Default 2002 Mustang 6cyl -Automatic slow response to downshifting

I have a 2002 Mustang 6cyl automatic. Since the day i got the car new
it has always been very slow to to respond to downshifting when i step
on the accelerator. When i do it manually there's no problem but for
example when i merge onto the highway while already doing about 30 to
40mph the car will be in third, i step on the gas(all the way) and
nothing, the car just bogs down, then after about 3 seconds it finally
kicks in a downshifts. The car then finally accelerates ok.

My old Chevy years ago had a similar problem; i found it was a vacuum
leak on the trans. Any ideas on this Mustang? To me it appears to be
factory this way, but there has to be someway to adjust this by linkage
or something. Any ideas will be grateful.

Thanks,
Ron

Old October 11th 06, 10:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Maybe a Diablosport or other type of tuner will help you out. A lot of
tuners let you change the shift points. The factory settings are preset
for a modest driver. Have you tried disconnecting your battery so that
your tranny relearns your driving habits?

Old October 12th 06, 05:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
2RBN8R

Hello

I had a similiar problem on my '01 V6. I my case cleaning of the MAF sensor
helped a lot. I coudn't believe the difference. After that I almost felt it
too sensitive with kickdowns!
If you disassemble the strange air box containing the MAF, you should pay a
lot of attention to the neoprene gasket when putting things back together. I
don't understand, how Ford could design it that way. With time that seal
leaks unmetered air and dust into the system - I even considered filing the
gap with silicone sealant to make it 100% tight.

If you pull out the MAF sensor from its housing it may appear quite clean,
but slightest amount of dust on resistance wires makes lots of difference.
Use electronic solvent in a spray can (or brake parts cleaner) and spray it
liberally. Let it soak for a while, and then spray again. If some residue is
still there, use a corner of folded paper tissue to gently rub it off.
To remove the sensor you will need the security torx bit, but now I'm not
sure about the size. T27 maybe?

I wish you luck
Marcin

Uzytkownik > napisal w wiadomosci
ups.com...

Old October 27th 06, 01:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Thanks guys. These sound like a couple good ideas, i'll start with the
battery, it's been hooked up since the day i got the car. Ron