Hard Downshifting

Old November 7th 05, 09:51 PM
Spdloader

Default Hard Downshifting

1994 Wrangler 2.5l 4cyl, with 5spd. Don't know which 5spd.

It is terribly hard to downshift into 1st, 2nd or Reverse when stopped.
It'll
shift just fine if slightly rolling.

Upshifting is no problem.

I'm definitely not a transmission mechanic.

Ideas? Have it rebuilt? Synchros? Shifter fork? Clutch Slave?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Spdloader

Old November 7th 05, 10:23 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

You have the AX-5 for a transmission.
Usually a difficulty getting into gear at a stop is the clutch is
not fully releasing. Have you check it's fluid reservoir for full? If
not note the smell of the fluid and take your finger and wipe the bottom
of the bellhousing and under the dash for where the push rod goes
through for that smell to tell you where it's leaking. If it's at the
bellhousing it must come apart to replace the internal slave, the last
of the sabotages done by france to the AMC designed YJ:
http://www.billhughes.com/YJslave.jpg
If not being able to shift into gear at a stop has been a problem
for a while, it would have worn out the synchro rings and the
transmission will have to come apart, too.
--
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O

Old November 7th 05, 11:01 PM
Spdloader

Thanks Bill,
The problem started about a month ago, according to my wife, so I drove
and confirmed the problem, but since I don't have any transmission
experience, other than pulling and replacing, I didn't really know where to
start.
I appreciate the clutch and slave tip, I'll start there.
I drive a '92 with 4.0 and automatic, (when the dually is parked due to high
diesel costs) and have had no problems in 189,000. I prefer the auto because
it frees up a hand to hold my Mt. Dew!

Anyway,

Thanks again.

Spdloader

Old November 8th 05, 12:04 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

10-4
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old November 8th 05, 11:16 PM
Mike Romain

I would be checking the tranny fluid level and the clutch reservoir. If
low on fluid, it will shift hard. Does it have any drips under when it
sits?

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
Aug./05 http://www.imagestation.com/album/in...?id=2120343242

Old November 9th 05, 02:19 AM
Spdloader

I filled the trans to capacity each time, and there are no leaks or drips.

Spdloader

Old November 9th 05, 02:50 PM
Mike Romain

How are the engine and tranny mounts? A bad one can put the shifter out
of place so it can be a bugger getting into 1st and 2nd one time you
stop and reverse the next time you stop. Or if the tranny mount is
totally gone, then all 3 might be hard. This is due to the shifter
physically hitting the shifter boot.

If you use any gear oil that says GL5 on it or comes premixed with
'friction modifier' for diffs, you will get your symptoms.

Mike

Old November 11th 05, 09:03 PM
jdarg

It's not an internal problem, almost certainly clutch (or clutch
hydraulics) related. Your input shaft is turning with the engine, maybe
not way up at idle RPM but more than normal, when you press the pedal
to the floor. The clutch is not completely disengaging or the pilot
bushing-to-input shaft interface has too much friction which is causing
the input shaft to continue spinning. You can confirm this if you
gently ease it into reverse and hear the gears ratcheting together
without coming to a stop in a couple of seconds.

If your Jeep had sat at some point, read on...

I had a similar problem with my '94 YJ (also 2.5L, MT) - it was fine
when cool, but acted up once the engine warmed up, but was
intermittent. I'd either have to go into 4th or 5th before entering a
lower gear once stopped or kill the engine to shift into 1st.

After disassembly, the clutch and it's components all looked great but
the transmission input shaft was ratty looking - this jeep had been
parked for 8-10 months before I bought it which probably contributed to
the problem. It didn't do it at first, but rather appeared a few months
after I had been driving it. I separated the transmission from the
engine, gently polished the input shaft up with some crocus cloth
enough to get the surface rust off, regreased it, and it was fine
since.

Old November 11th 05, 09:05 PM
jdarg

'94 and '95 have external slaves, I believe late '93 also but I'm not
100% sure on that.

-jd

Old November 12th 05, 12:21 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

You are correct: http://www.billhughes.com/temp/94YJslave.jpg
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O

hard to start curbrider Jeep 7 June 6th 05 02:11 AM
What to do with the soft top hardware when reinstalling the hard top? [email protected] Jeep 5 April 19th 05 04:22 PM
Hard starting problem dodge 360 [email protected] Technology 9 March 20th 05 11:57 PM
switching hard dog rollbars pws Mazda 0 November 18th 04 11:03 PM
Assistance needed with Spider '91 hard top Dimitris Alfa Romeo 0 September 3rd 04 02:40 PM