Jeep transmission filter/fluid change

Old February 5th 05, 06:19 PM
Eve Howard

Default Jeep transmission filter/fluid change

I am the proud owner of a 1997 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4 wheel drive. I am
intent on doing a transmission filter and fluid change myself but have
hit a bump in the road. The tranny is an AW-4 (automatic 4-speed). While
I was under the car, I noticed a metal pipe connected to the side of the
pan and was uncertain as how to disconnect/re-connect it in the course
of the fluid/filter change. I consulted two repair manuals. The Haynes
Manual doesn¹t even refer to it when it describes how to do the fluid
change while the Chilton manual just briefly states, to disconnect the
pick-up pipe, if so equipped. I noticed that at the point of entry into
the transmission pan, the pipe appears to be attached by a metal flange,
and it is not obvious to me how it will detach from the pan body.
Therefore I have two questions.

One---How is the pipe connected/detached from the pan?

Two---there must be some kind of gasket/washer to ensure a leak proof
seal between the pipe and pan, so does the transmission filter and
gasket kit sold at auto parts stores normally include a gasket/seal for
the pipe?

Thanks to any who can enlighten me.

Sincerely,
Confused in Las Vegas
Old February 5th 05, 08:18 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Eve,
For some reason I'll never understand, Chrysler does put a drain
plug on their torque converter, like Ford and GM and the whole rest of
the world does. Forcing you to take to the shop that have the special
flush equipment.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old February 5th 05, 08:20 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Doesn't have a drain plug.

Old February 5th 05, 10:39 PM
ianto

Hi Eve,
I have a 1987 Cherokee with an AW-4 transmission. On my transmission
the tube connected to the side of the pan is the fill tube. This tube
is made of two parts. The lower part is permanently mounted to the
pan. The upper part of the fill tube has an O-ring on the end and it
slides into the lower part. You have to loosen the bracket that holds
the upper part and then pull it out. You can then unbolt the pan and
remove it.

Mike Capel

capel AT mb DOT sympatico DOT ca

Old February 7th 05, 03:50 AM
Dave Best

First of all that AW-4 doesn't have a filter. It has a screen. The way
I did a complete change was by removing the upper transmission cooling
line at the radiator (the return line, make sure you use a flare nut
wrench!). Clamp a 3' piece of 3/4 hose on the nipple on the radiator.
Get yourself 2 -1 gal. Plastic milk containers with screw caps (or any
opaque container gallon size), and another container that will hold at
least 2 gallons. The 5-gallon plastic containers that the Chinese
restraints use for cooking oil are great. You can usually find them in
their garbage. Cut the side out to make a drain pan. Remove the drain
plug and drain out the fluid. It should be around 2 1/2 qts. Fill the
transmission with the same amount you took out. Now place the hose
into the other milk jug, start the car (it helps if you have another
person to start and stop the car), and fill the jug to about 3 qts.
Stop the car and add 3 quarts repeat this until you use about 8 or
nine quarts, or when the color of the two fluids look the same. You
will have completely changed the fluid. I use Mobil 1 synthetic. I
also use it in the transfer case.