'98 A6 Q Wagon - antifreeze smell

Old May 22nd 07, 06:03 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Bart Oleksy

Default '98 A6 Q Wagon - antifreeze smell

Occasionally smell antifreeze in the car (passenger compartment) - is
there anything besides a 'broken' heater core that can cause this?

Long version:
- noticed this past winter that the engine temp. wouldn't get very warm,
maybe 1/3 of the way tops. Every once in a while it would get to
half-way, at which time I'd notice an antifreeze smell while driving.

Now that it's warmer, I'm smelling the antifreeze smell more often, and
actually had the warning indicator tell me I was low on antifreeze.

Sooo....there's definitely a loss of antifreeze, although a slow one.
Any other suggestions besides replacing the heater core, which I expect
to be fairly expensive (parts & labour)?

thanks!

Bart
(Canada)

Old May 22nd 07, 07:49 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Tony[_10_]

You might have a very small (pin hole) leak int he cores that only leaks
when there is a lot of pressure in the system. A lot of pressure is
caused by it being too hot (bad thermostat) too much air in the system.
the air compresses causes the excessive pressure. The low coolant is
possibly due to the small leak.

I would replace the thermostat and while you are there replace the
timing belt, water pump and tensioner pulley.

Tearing the core out varies in difficulty a lot between models. If yours
is difficult I would consider adding some Stop Leak. Dost tell anyone
that I said to do that :-) It worked just fine for my son's '98 A4 three
+ years ago and is still fine.

Old May 23rd 07, 02:52 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
eBob.com

I've certainly experienced the antifreeze smell, but I forget if it was with
my '95 or '98 (both 2.8 Q wagons). I think that the problem had something
to do with the manifold - if that makes any sense. Sorry, but I am not a
mechanic and have a poor memory.

Good Luck, Bob

"Bart Oleksy" > wrote in message
.. .
> Occasionally smell antifreeze in the car (passenger compartment) - is
> there anything besides a 'broken' heater core that can cause this?
>
> Long version:
> - noticed this past winter that the engine temp. wouldn't get very warm,
> maybe 1/3 of the way tops. Every once in a while it would get to
> half-way, at which time I'd notice an antifreeze smell while driving.
>
> Now that it's warmer, I'm smelling the antifreeze smell more often, and
> actually had the warning indicator tell me I was low on antifreeze.
>
> Sooo....there's definitely a loss of antifreeze, although a slow one. Any
> other suggestions besides replacing the heater core, which I expect to be
> fairly expensive (parts & labour)?
>
> thanks!
>
> Bart
> (Canada)

Antifreeze Smell Jimmy the Hand Ford Explorer 4 November 3rd 06 07:07 PM
About Antifreeze Erhanboy BMW 17 May 12th 06 05:15 AM
antifreeze bg16172 Dodge 2 January 1st 06 04:45 PM
the sweet smell of antifreeze spewing from the motor Ryan Underwood Technology 10 October 28th 05 08:56 AM
Antifreeze? Richard Chrysler 24 October 17th 04 03:41 PM