Audi A6 quattro 95 tire size.

Old May 21st 07, 01:29 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Andre[_2_]

Default Audi A6 quattro 95 tire size.

My Audi A6 quattro 1995 currently has tires of the following size:
205-60R15.
The user manual for this car as well as tire rack lists 195-65R15 to
be the factory installed tires.
The rims seem to be original as far as I can tell.

Narrower tires perform better in snow. I am inclined to go with the
factory original equipment.
Can any body comment on the tire size or point me to a website which
lists what tire sizes can be put on a given rim?

Thanks,

Andre

Old May 21st 07, 02:21 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Dano58

On May 21, 8:29 am, Andre > wrote:
> My Audi A6 quattro 1995 currently has tires of the following size:
> 205-60R15.
> The user manual for this car as well as tire rack lists 195-65R15 to
> be the factory installed tires.
> The rims seem to be original as far as I can tell.
>
> Narrower tires perform better in snow. I am inclined to go with the
> factory original equipment.
> Can any body comment on the tire size or point me to a website which
> lists what tire sizes can be put on a given rim?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andre

Sounds like the previous owner just did a plus-one sizing on it. If
you go to the Tire Rack site, you can find out which tires will fit
using the stock rims (which is what I assume you have).

Dan D
'04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6
Central NJ USA

Old May 21st 07, 03:41 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Dave LaCourse

On 21 May 2007 05:29:40 -0700, Andre > wrote:

>My Audi A6 quattro 1995 currently has tires of the following size:
>205-60R15.
>The user manual for this car as well as tire rack lists 195-65R15 to
>be the factory installed tires.
>The rims seem to be original as far as I can tell.
>
>Narrower tires perform better in snow. I am inclined to go with the
>factory original equipment.
>Can any body comment on the tire size or point me to a website which
>lists what tire sizes can be put on a given rim?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Andre

While it is true that a narrower tire works best in snow, the
difference between a 205 and a 195 would make little difference.
Although I live in the snow belt (New England), I put the same size
snows on as I do the performance tires simply because even in the
winter time, most of my (your) driving will be on pavement rather than
snow. Remember, this is a Quattro. It will go anywhere with summer
tires; it needs snows, however, to *stop*.

I would stick with the performance formula (205).

Dave (running 19 inch 250s performance and snows)
RS6

Old May 22nd 07, 05:00 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Andre[_2_]

On May 21, 10:41 am, Dave LaCourse > wrote:
> On 21 May 2007 05:29:40 -0700, Andre > wrote:
>
> >MyAudiA6quattro 1995 currently has tires of the following size:
> >205-60R15.
> >The user manual for this car as well astirerack lists 195-65R15 to
> >be the factory installed tires.
> >The rims seem to be original as far as I can tell.

> >Narrower tires perform better in snow. I am inclined to go with the
> >factory original equipment.
> >Can any body comment on thetiresize or point me to a website which
> >lists whattiresizes can be put on a given rim?

> >Thanks,

> >Andre

> While it is true that a narrowertireworks best in snow, the
> difference between a 205 and a 195 would make little difference.
> Although I live in the snow belt (New England), I put the same size
> snows on as I do the performance tires simply because even in the
> winter time, most of my (your) driving will be on pavement rather than
> snow. Remember, this is a Quattro. It will go anywhere with summer
> tires; it needs snows, however, to *stop*.
>
> I would stick with the performance formula (205).
>
> Dave (running 19 inch 250s performance and snows)
> RS6

Thank you Dave and Dan,

I am going to go with the 205/60R15 based on your advice and based on
the fact that the bigger size is listed on the label I found on the
car as one of the supported tire sizes. It is also the size of the
current tires.
I was not sure if this size is fully supported by this car design or
if it was just an update made by the previous owner.

Unfortunately I was not able to find the page on the TireRack website
which advises what tire sizes are supported by a particular rim size.
But I no longer need that information at this time.
As you can tell I am not very well versed in tires and rims

Thank you,
Andre

Old May 23rd 07, 07:48 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Pete[_8_]

"Andre" wrote
> Unfortunately I was not able to find the page on the TireRack website
> which advises what tire sizes are supported by a particular rim size.

That's because the information on TireRack is provided in a slightly
different way. First, you pick a particular tire, then you look at its
specs. Within the specs, for each tire size it will show you the range of
approved rim widths on which that specific tire can be safely mounted.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.j...1=yes&place=12

For example, for this particular Yokohama tire in size 205/60/15, the
recommended rim width range is from 5.5 to 7.5 inches.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Pete

tire size arashdb Technology 10 April 13th 07 07:14 PM
Quattro flat tire replacement bobthe Audi 7 March 18th 07 08:23 PM
rim and tire size/ size lift Jon Jeep 8 February 27th 06 02:00 PM
TJ Tire Size Steve G Jeep 22 September 23rd 05 04:16 AM
Audi Quattro at Deutschland Rally and Audi in LMES photos maggy p Audi 0 August 24th 04 03:27 PM