Howell TBI

Old November 17th 11, 01:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Greg[_1_]

Default Howell TBI

Anyone have anything good or bad to say about the Howell TBI, this would
be for a 1981 CJ7 with 258,

Old November 18th 11, 12:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

Greg wrote:
> Anyone have anything good or bad to say about the Howell TBI, this
> would be for a 1981 CJ7 with 258,

Got me. Last carb I had was a Rochester 4M4 quadrajet.

Just going by the writeup on http://www.4x4xplor.com/TBI.html
it looks fairly easy. If they had this I would have done
that to the ol quadrasuck in a heartbeat.

--
DougW

Old January 30th 12, 12:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Greg, I've been running the Howell TBI system in my '81 CJ7 for about ten years now. At first, the engine was running very rich so I had to get the PROM chip reprogrammed several times before the mixture was right. Since then, not a single problem that can be ascribed to the Howell system. I've had two stoppages, both of which were caused by loss of power to the system. Once was when a blade-type fuse worked partially out of the fuse block. The second time, the wire that I had spliced into for system power just died, everything else still worked. Picked another hot point and all OK again. If you install the Howell, just be sure to tie in to a reliable 12V source, and check that the fuses are seated fully in the fuse block. A good idea to check that the fuses are fully seated before and after every off road trip. With the TBI systems, the engine starts quickly every time regardless of the temperature and altitude is automatically compensated for. And, no flooding on steep inclines!
Dave

90 S-10 2.5 TBI injector problem [email protected] Technology 0 January 1st 08 06:20 PM
2.5 TBI Injector Removal? [email protected] Chrysler 2 May 7th 06 04:40 PM
4.2 tbi Jeff Jeep 5 February 5th 06 08:26 PM
WTB: GM 4.3L TBI unit dcg Technology 0 April 26th 05 07:53 PM
TBI Set-up [email protected] Jeep 5 December 28th 04 03:20 AM