Vue question(rubbing sound)

Old December 19th 05, 12:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Default Vue question(rubbing sound)

Hi there...

Have an '06 Vue and noticed that I get a quick "rub" sound just when I start
moving the car in the morning. I would have taken it back to the dealer
first thing, but my father had a '03 Vue that did the same thing, so I'm
just wondering if it's just normal or not.

If nobody's heard of this, I guess I'm going to have to take more notice on
the temperature in the morning to see if there's a relation. I've had it a
month and it's been somewhere in the 20's pretty much every morning....

(or, maybe it's just like me and stiffens up after a night's rest and creaks
and moans like my knees do in the morning until I get moving - But I'm a lot
older than the car, so it shouldn't be complaining yet!!)

Old December 19th 05, 06:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

On 19 Dec 2005 07:57:44 EST, someone posing as IYM took a five minute break
from flipping burgers to boot up the etch-a-sketch and scribbled:

> Hi there...
>
> Have an '06 Vue and noticed that I get a quick "rub" sound just when I start
> moving the car in the morning.

While you hear the "rub" sound, do a check to see if your traction control
light is on yet. I bet it isn't.

I've noticed this same sound on our '05 after I back out of the driveway
and put it in forward gear then start idling forward. Immediately after
the "rub" sound, the traction control light goes on (or off, I forget) to
indicate that it is enabled.

I recently test drove an '06 GMC Yukon XL and it did the same thing.(Ahh,
it'd be nice to have an SUV again.)

--
kai - www.perfectreign.com
linux - genuine windows replacement part
Old December 19th 05, 06:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

ahhh - That would make sense. I know there are no lights that come on. My
set up is a little different though as I have the 5 speed manual and have an
TC on/off button on the dash, (where all with automatics have the fog light
switch as they won't let you have the factory fogs with a 5-speed) I'll
have to try turning off the TC after I start the car before I move and see
if it does it or not. Funny thing is though, I didn't think my father's 03
had TC. Was it available/standard then?

Anyway, thanks again.

Scott

Old December 21st 05, 03:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 13:53:11 -0500, IYM took a five-minute break from
flipping burgers to boot the etch-a-sketch and scribble out:

(topposting corrected)

>> > Hi there...
>> >
>> > Have an '06 Vue and noticed that I get a quick "rub" sound just when

> start
>> > moving the car in the morning.

>> While you hear the "rub" sound, do a check to see if your traction control
>> light is on yet. I bet it isn't.
>>
>> I've noticed this same sound on our '05 after I back out of the driveway
>> and put it in forward gear then start idling forward. Immediately after
>> the "rub" sound, the traction control light goes on (or off, I forget) to
>> indicate that it is enabled.
>>

>> I recently test drove an '06 GMC Yukon XL and it did the same thing.(Ahh,
>> it'd be nice to have an SUV again.)

> ahhh - That would make sense. I know there are no lights that come on. My
> set up is a little different though as I have the 5 speed manual and have an
> TC on/off button on the dash, (where all with automatics have the fog light
> switch as they won't let you have the factory fogs with a 5-speed) I'll
> have to try turning off the TC after I start the car before I move and see
> if it does it or not.

Well I watched it last night. I actually drove the car while going to the
movies. (King Kong - excellent remake!)

I put the car in reverse to back out of the lot. (I didn't apply the gas.)
I put the car in drive and waited. Once I took my foot off the brake and
idled forward (without the gas) the t/c light went off and the "grinding"
noise occured within a second or two.

HTH!

> Funny thing is though, I didn't think my father's 03
> had TC. Was it available/standard then?

That I wouldn't know.

Old December 23rd 05, 02:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Most cars will exhibit a slight "brake drag" first thing in the morning,
largely due to oxidation (i.e. rust) on the rotors, and the pads dragging
against it. You'd be surprised how quickly a thin film can appear.

So long as it doesn't continue to do it after the first or second stop, just
turn up the radio.....lol

Old December 23rd 05, 01:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Nah - Since it will be a high mileage car (about 22K a year) I wanted better
fuel economy, but still enough for the wife, kid and the "bun in the oven",
so it's the 4 cylinder 5-speed.

And to answer the other poster - I don't believe it's oxidation on the
rotors. I've heard that on all vehicles when you start moving. This is a
little louder, and I notice it primarily in the morning backing out the
driveway. I move about 5-10 feet and I heard a relatively quick "wwwuub".
Then I never hear it again. The TC light never comes on so it doesn't seem
to be related as mentioned by another poster...I'm not too worried about it,
but would like to know what it is....

Scott

Old December 28th 05, 10:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

It only happens once you reach ~5mph? Only going forward, not in reverse?
Then goes away and doesnt come back till the next start? It is the ABS
motor pack setting itself and doing a self-check. It is rather loud, but
is completely normal and if you dont hear it, take your vehicle in. It
isnt the greatest sound, and I would have hoped your salesperson would
have informed you of this, but nonetheless, completely normal, and quite
frankly, a good sound. (means your ABS is functioning properly!)I am a
saturn technician and have been asked this question before..... Hope it
helps.