News group or private forum?

Old May 3rd 05, 02:48 PM
Tom in Missouri

Default News group or private forum?

You have probably seen several posts on here about JLA Enterprises forums.
I decided to check on one of the pictures he was posting. I found it an
interesting surprise and you might, too. Go to
http://www.jlaforums.com/viewforum.php?f=20

You will find most of the news group in web forum format. Basically, his
forum is a copy of this news group. Now I understand places like Google
archiving this stuff for searches later on, but this has a look like
Corvette Forum with ads and such and looks like a live forum, but most is
simply this news group.

Not sure if I like having my comments plastered on someone's private web so
they can make money off of my free advice.

Old May 3rd 05, 03:40 PM
Tom

As Tom in Missouri so eloquently stated:

> http://www.jlaforums.com/viewforum.php?f=20

You know...that's almost creepy.

Copying newsgroup posts into a forum!!! WTF???

And... I'm sure plagerism to some extent.

--
Tom

"That man is richest whose pleasures are cheapest."
-Henry Thoreau

"The original point and click interface is a Smith and Wesson"
Old May 3rd 05, 04:33 PM
Dad

"Tom in Missouri" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> You have probably seen several posts on here about JLA Enterprises forums.
> I decided to check on one of the pictures he was posting. I found it an
> interesting surprise and you might, too. Go to
> http://www.jlaforums.com/viewforum.php?f=20
>
> You will find most of the news group in web forum format. Basically, his
> forum is a copy of this news group. Now I understand places like Google
> archiving this stuff for searches later on, but this has a look like
> Corvette Forum with ads and such and looks like a live forum, but most is
> simply this news group.
>
> Not sure if I like having my comments plastered on someone's private web
> so
> they can make money off of my free advice.

I have to agree with you Tom, not what I can be a part of.

I'm sure some will rejoice but this is my last post, I will not be
associated in any way with JLA Enterprises Technologies Integration.

You guys take care an save the wave!

Dad

Old May 3rd 05, 04:56 PM
StingRay

"Tom" > wrote in message
> As Tom in Missouri so eloquently stated:
>
>> http://www.jlaforums.com/viewforum.php?f=20

> You know...that's almost creepy.
>
> Copying newsgroup posts into a forum!!! WTF???
>
> And... I'm sure plagerism to some extent.
>
> --
> Tom
>
> "That man is richest whose pleasures are cheapest."
> -Henry Thoreau
>
> "The original point and click interface is a Smith and Wesson"

Creepy is the right word! Some of us "old-timers" will recall chasing JLA
out of here a few years ago for this very reason. I kept a file on this guy
at that time and his name is Jim Adams, JLA Enterprises Technologies
Integration, 12100 Bedford Wds Dr. #209, Raleigh, NC 27614 (919) 488-3415.
The guy has serious issues and I'd suggest he be placed in your killfile.

Old May 3rd 05, 06:41 PM
Tom Crabtree

Why was/is Dad so against JLA?
Being a recent newbie, I'm not aware of any past history.
I'm not sure I like JLA doing what they are doing, but don't think it's
illegal in any way. Immoral, maybe.

He will be surely missed.

TomC
'90 ZR1

Old May 3rd 05, 07:04 PM
Richard Padilla

Oh, give me a friggin break. What a bunch of whiners.

What is so "creepy"? There are PLENTY of sites that mirror this news
group or "copy newsgroups posts into a forum" as the previous poster
said.

Check

http://www.talkaboutautos.com/group/...testposts.html

http://www.autoforumz.com/-forum-53.html

http://www.carkb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx...vette/200504/1

http://www.newsbackup.com/forum-34.html

http://www.news2mail.com/alt/autos/corvette.html

http://www.autobanter.com/forumdispl...73941d b&f=22

Among many others.

Old May 3rd 05, 07:11 PM
Richard Padilla

If you are a newbie, please do not turn into a complainer like some of
these other old men. We have all been here since the crack of time and
for some of them, old habits die hard.

As far as Dad...who knows what his problem is. Maybe it is aching
joints and his ol lady isn't putting out anymore. Seriously, I do not
know what his JLA problem is and I don't care.

As far as it being "immoral" about mirroring a newsgroup, then perhaps
all of these are guilty of the same thing? Yeah right.

GOOGLE? http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...corvette?hl=en

Also check

http://www.talkaboutautos.com/group/...testposts.html

http://www.autoforumz.com/-forum-53.html

http://www.carkb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx...vette/200504/1

http://www.newsbackup.com/forum-34.html

http://www.news2mail.com/alt/autos/corvette.html

http://www.autobanter.com/forumdispl...73941d b&f=22

Among many others.

I actually prefer the web format instead of traditional news reader
format. I think they are much easier to read and far better organized
in web/forum format.

Old May 3rd 05, 08:21 PM
StingRay

"Richard Padilla" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> these other old men. We have all been here since the crack of time and

Isn't that odd Richard - I don't recall seeing you here until recently.
Perhaps you could favor us with a Google link to one of your "Old" posts,
just to verify the veracity of your statement?

> Seriously, I do not
> know what his JLA problem is and I don't care.

Spoken as we might expect from an AOL user. You're used to such nuisances!
*LOL*

Old May 3rd 05, 11:56 PM
Tom Crabtree

Richard Padilla wrote:
> If you are a newbie, please do not turn into a complainer like some of
> these other old men. We have all been here since the crack of time and
> for some of them, old habits die hard.

Richard:

I promise you won't hear any whining from me. Unless it's a from a GM
6-71. :-) By then, of course, I'll have already passed you by.
Besides, although my new to me '90 ZR1 is my first 'Vette, it is by no
means my first muscle/sport car. I figure the guys in here will
certainly save me time and frustration with my new toy.

> As far as Dad...who knows what his problem is. Maybe it is aching
> joints and his ol lady isn't putting out anymore. Seriously, I do not
> know what his JLA problem is and I don't care.

It sounded to me like there was some kind of serious past history. Was
just curious.

Old May 4th 05, 04:35 PM
Paul H.

I think that, for those who have been around the Usenet since its early
days, there's a certain feeling of charity and public ownership that
gets chaffed when a commercial site gobbles up the content and
contributes nothing to the discussion. If it were mirrored in total,
I'd be tempted to just view it as an alternative portal (like an alt or
fido list) and accept the ads as paying for the cost to covert it to a
different format.

Problem with most conversions is that they fail to show entire posts.
Some conversions intentionally or accidently delete entire posts during
the conversion. This seems to happen in threads that encompass several
weeks. I think that's a bit shoddy in a technical forum. Further, when
opinion within a thread get's "fractured" it may not represent the
author's intent. Dad, bless him, taken out of the context of the thread
might not come across the way he intended -- and I think that's a very
valid concern for anyone who's gained some respect for his or her
experience and is quite candid in writing Usenet posts.

For those who have strong feelings about mirroring, copyright all of
your posts. (and save them with the 'intent' of writing a 'how-to' book)
And, when you find them pirated, hire a local attorney to write the
portal a 'strong letter.' Next step is a strong letter to the portal's
host.

Paul H.

Richard Padilla wrote:
> If you are a newbie, please do not turn into a complainer like some of
> these other old men. We have all been here since the crack of time and
> for some of them, old habits die hard.
>
> As far as Dad...who knows what his problem is. Maybe it is aching
> joints and his ol lady isn't putting out anymore. Seriously, I do not
> know what his JLA problem is and I don't care.
>
> As far as it being "immoral" about mirroring a newsgroup, then perhaps
> all of these are guilty of the same thing? Yeah right.
>
> GOOGLE? http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...corvette?hl=en
>
> Also check
>
> http://www.talkaboutautos.com/group/...testposts.html
>
> http://www.autoforumz.com/-forum-53.html
>
> http://www.carkb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx...vette/200504/1
>
> http://www.newsbackup.com/forum-34.html
>
> http://www.news2mail.com/alt/autos/corvette.html
>
> http://www.autobanter.com/forumdispl...73941d b&f=22
>
> Among many others.
>
> I actually prefer the web format instead of traditional news reader
> format. I think they are much easier to read and far better organized
> in web/forum format.

Invitation to Join Personal Injury Law Forum (New Google Group) Lowell Steiger, Esq., Beverly Hils, Ca Driving 1 March 13th 05 08:33 PM
Mini news group Juice Technology 1 February 6th 05 10:05 PM
Is this news group functioning? GRL BMW 1 November 22nd 04 06:28 PM
1958-1964 chevy news group? RFiske6253 Antique cars 1 September 23rd 03 01:43 AM
is there model t news group? Lee Carkenord Antique cars 1 September 13th 03 11:56 PM