Fuel Vapor Canister removed completely

Old July 3rd 07, 05:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
freeman, d. l.

Default Fuel Vapor Canister removed completely

The mechanics never found the problem and I got tired of breathing gas fumes
so I removed the Fuel Vapor Canister from my 94 Explorer and connected the
vapor line directly to the CANP line.

....so far, no fumes; just wondering what the down side is?? Emissions
issues??

Any ideas??

Thanks!

df

Old July 4th 07, 12:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Jim Warman

Evaporative emissions is the big bug-a-boo.... The cannister contains
activated charcoal that absorbs fuel vapours and stores them.... Later, when
the operating conditions are right, the vapour management valve (cannister
purge valve) opens and the vapours are drawn into the intake manifold and
are consumed in the engine. The EVAP vent valve most likely went with your
cannister so there is the possibility that the system may overpressure and
create problems of it's own.

While these chambers can be a tad spendy, if we are to remain socially
responsible adults, it should be replaced at the earliest opportunity...

As for your "mechanics".... they certainly couldn't have tried very hard to
find the source of your concern or they do not understand this... one of the
simplest systems on the automobile...

Old July 5th 07, 02:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
freeman, d. l.

Hi Jim!

""The EVAP vent valve most likely went with your canister""

Thanks for the nice reply! Are you saying there is a valve inside the
canister itself?? Are you suggesting a new canister may take care of the
issue?

BIG Thanks!

dan

Old July 6th 07, 08:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Jim Warman

Remember we have an "old man memory thing" going on here...

I did manage to find some time to refresh my familiarity with this
system.... to discover that, in '94, the Explorer didn't have a vent
solenoid.... Sorry for the false alarm....

It is possible that a new cannister may solve the concern... What has
happened with these older systems is that the vent to atmosphere could
become restricted. When the cannister purge solenoid was turned on by the
PCM, there could be enough vacuum created in the cannister that, under the
right conditions, raw fuel could be drawn in to the cannister "flooding"
it... even to the point that gasoline could leak from it....

At the very least, repairing the system so that it functions as intended
would be the responsible thing to do.... We can't ever pretend to stop
pollution in it's tracks, but we can all do our part to decrease the
"footprint" we leave behind....

Fuel leaking from the purge canister fred Technology 1 September 6th 06 06:37 AM
2002 Prizm faulty fuel vapor canister [email protected] Technology 20 July 15th 06 06:32 PM
92 cavalier, fuel pumping thru vapor cannister vent coyote134 4x4 0 September 26th 05 01:10 AM
Vapor Canister for '90 YJ remove Jeep 16 August 18th 05 10:58 PM
Wanted: fuel system vapor canister; PN: 113 201 891 george VW air cooled 4 December 9th 04 12:51 PM