GMC Jimmy, need help please.

Old January 31st 06, 05:34 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

Default GMC Jimmy, need help please.

I have a 1998 GMC Jimmy that has been sitting for over 5 years because I
was injured at work and unable to drive until now. I had my vehicle
repared and inspected and it was working great.

Now it has a big problem and I am trying to find out what is causing it
before taking it to the shop because my former mechanic passed away and I
must now find a new one.

My Jimmy starts ok but when I start driving it won't shift into second
gear (it has an automatic transmission), the brakes go to the floor, and
all the service lights come on on the dash board. A friend said he heard
it was a sensor problem that occurs sometimes after the Jimmy sits unused
for long periods. But he has no idea of the right part or parts I'll
need.

Of course he might be wrong, but I just want to know so that I don't get
ripped off, being disabled, some unethical mechanics might take
advantage.

Thank You
RobertSR

Old February 1st 06, 01:32 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

Hi Robert:
I don't think the computer will cause the brakes to go to the
floor, but it will cause the other problems. Has there been moisture
inside your Jimmy? Someone told me of a limp-mode that will hold the
transmission down in the lower gears. If it's been sitting, it will
probably be low on fluids. Brake fluid will seep. Was it repaired a
long time ago as well? I wouldn't be too suprised if everything just
starts working after the heater has been on for a while, but I can't
guarantee that.. Check the brake, tranny, oil and antifreeze levels
though.

Here in Jersey I can't find a very good repair shop anywhere -
even a dealer. I hope all goes well with you.
Take Care!
Harry

RobertSR wrote:
> I have a 1998 GMC Jimmy that has been sitting for over 5 years because I
> was injured at work and unable to drive until now. I had my vehicle
> repared and inspected and it was working great.
>
> Now it has a big problem and I am trying to find out what is causing it
> before taking it to the shop because my former mechanic passed away and I
> must now find a new one.
>
> My Jimmy starts ok but when I start driving it won't shift into second
> gear (it has an automatic transmission), the brakes go to the floor, and
> all the service lights come on on the dash board. A friend said he heard
> it was a sensor problem that occurs sometimes after the Jimmy sits unused
> for long periods. But he has no idea of the right part or parts I'll
> need.
>
> Of course he might be wrong, but I just want to know so that I don't get
> ripped off, being disabled, some unethical mechanics might take
> advantage.
>
> Thank You
> RobertSR

1997 GMC Jimmy needs help ( Starting Problem) RcCrazyBill Technology 5 December 8th 05 10:05 AM
90 Jimmy Robert Technology 1 June 26th 05 08:22 PM
Help my GMC Jimmy stalled and won’t start up again.... dynamitedrc 4x4 2 June 21st 05 03:41 AM
Jimmy tailgate stuck Jimmy1990 4x4 4 November 11th 04 07:33 PM
FS: 1971 GMC Jimmy [email protected] 4x4 1 November 5th 04 05:39 PM