British Motor Show

Old September 24th 05, 05:00 PM
John

Default British Motor Show

Is there still a British Motor Show at the NEC in Birmingham each year
in August? I've not been to one of these since I think it was 1999.
I'm sure I heard somewhere they stopped doing them in Birmingham?

John

Old September 24th 05, 05:59 PM
Halmyre

John wrote:

> Is there still a British Motor Show at the NEC in Birmingham each year
> in August? I've not been to one of these since I think it was 1999.
> I'm sure I heard somewhere they stopped doing them in Birmingham?
>
> John

I believe it is taking place in London, much to the pleasure of various
hacks who think travelling beyond the M25 is tantamount to a trip to the
dark side of the moon...

--
Halmyre

f c e k
i r i s h c o n n e c t i o n

Old September 24th 05, 06:05 PM
John

On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 16:59:10 GMT, A strange species called Halmyre
> wrote:

>John wrote:
>
>> Is there still a British Motor Show at the NEC in Birmingham each year
>> in August? I've not been to one of these since I think it was 1999.
>> I'm sure I heard somewhere they stopped doing them in Birmingham?
>>
>> John
>>

>I believe it is taking place in London, much to the pleasure of various
>hacks who think travelling beyond the M25 is tantamount to a trip to the
>dark side of the moon...

You've got to be kidding me? I'm not going to London. Birmingham is
easy to get to, its more central than London, and the facilities there
are good. It would be easier for me to drive to the nearest Airport
and go to the motor show in Frankfurt or Geneva.

John

Old September 24th 05, 06:10 PM
Halmyre

John wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 16:59:10 GMT, A strange species called Halmyre
> > wrote:
>

>>John wrote:
>>

>>>Is there still a British Motor Show at the NEC in Birmingham each year
>>>in August? I've not been to one of these since I think it was 1999.
>>>I'm sure I heard somewhere they stopped doing them in Birmingham?
>>>
>>>John
>>>

>>I believe it is taking place in London, much to the pleasure of various
>>hacks who think travelling beyond the M25 is tantamount to a trip to the
>>dark side of the moon...

> You've got to be kidding me? I'm not going to London. Birmingham is
> easy to get to, its more central than London, and the facilities there
> are good. It would be easier for me to drive to the nearest Airport
> and go to the motor show in Frankfurt or Geneva.
>
> John

Heh. What I was driving at was that there are certain parts of the meeja
who think London is the centre of the known universe and nothing of any
importance could possibly be taking plae elsewhere!

--
Halmyre

f c e k
i r i s h c o n n e c t i o n

Old September 24th 05, 06:19 PM
AstraVanMan

> >I believe it is taking place in London, much to the pleasure of various
> >hacks who think travelling beyond the M25 is tantamount to a trip to the
> >dark side of the moon...

> You've got to be kidding me? I'm not going to London. Birmingham is
> easy to get to, its more central than London, and the facilities there
> are good. It would be easier for me to drive to the nearest Airport
> and go to the motor show in Frankfurt or Geneva.

And it appears that people from not near London have the exact opposite
attitude to travelling anywhere inside the M25.

Peter

Old September 24th 05, 06:22 PM
John

On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 17:10:17 GMT, A strange species called Halmyre
> wrote:

>John wrote:
>> On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 16:59:10 GMT, A strange species called Halmyre
>> > wrote:

>>>I believe it is taking place in London, much to the pleasure of various
>>>hacks who think travelling beyond the M25 is tantamount to a trip to the
>>>dark side of the moon...

>> You've got to be kidding me? I'm not going to London. Birmingham is
>> easy to get to, its more central than London, and the facilities there
>> are good. It would be easier for me to drive to the nearest Airport
>> and go to the motor show in Frankfurt or Geneva.
>>
>> John
>>

>Heh. What I was driving at was that there are certain parts of the meeja
>who think London is the centre of the known universe and nothing of any
>importance could possibly be taking plae elsewhere!

I know you were and I agree. I can't believe they put it in London.
It's no good for anyone else apart from people who live there. Hardly
a British Motor Show anymore. Should change the name to London Motor
Show.

John

Old September 24th 05, 06:48 PM
Peter Hill

On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 17:00:41 +0100, John > wrote:

>Is there still a British Motor Show at the NEC in Birmingham each year
>in August? I've not been to one of these since I think it was 1999.
>I'm sure I heard somewhere they stopped doing them in Birmingham?

They stopped doing Earls Court which the Brum show alternated with.
Earls Court is/was crap, no space for proper stands, per square foot
cost an arm and a leg so makers wouldn't pay anyway, hotels for stand
staff cost a fortune, no one came cos they couldn't park within 20
miles and there was no room to move in the 6 foot wide alleyways if
you did get in the place. So now it's only every other year. Even a
little event like the Motorcycle show with only 4 Jap, 2 Brit, 1
German, 4 Italian (3 on one stand as same importer) 1 American + a few
assorted others makers didn't fit 20 years ago. All Earls Court is
fit for is local computer markets and flea markets.

But every other year at NEC wasn't good enough for the ****'s.

So it's moved to yet another London ******** with crap access and no
parking.
http://www.autoindustry.co.uk/news/e...pup/20-07-06_1
http://www.excel-london.co.uk/excelv...e/by_road.html
10min from Tower bridge, yeah, who the hell lives at Tower Bridge? I
suppose Tony and his mates will be able to skive off to get to it
without diverting a Jumbo jet or 777 (can't land one of them in
docklands airport anyway). Not that road access matters.
http://www.excel-london.co.uk/excelv...e/parking.html
4000 spaces for a motor show! Better prebook your space now there's a
good chance you won't get a space if the makers book space for stand
staff. (make sure your credit card dosen't expire before the show cos
a new one won't work, it's not the same card) NEC shows had 20,000
staff and even squashed 5 per car they will fill the car park leaving
no space for vistors. Sort of limits the number of people attending
to about 20,000 per day = 200,000 over 10 days, when to match NEC it
needs to cater for 600,000.
http://www.prnewswire.co.uk/cgi/news/release?id=16355

What a sick joke. NEC has over 22,000 car parking spaces with near
direct M-way access to M42, which links direct to M40, M5, M6 (North
and South) and has good link to M1 north via M/A42 or South via M6.
http://www.necgroup.co.uk/visitor/travel/ByRoad.asp
International airport next door (will take proper 400 seat planes not
little 50 seaters) and mainline railway on site (not a little branch
line running from a place with even less parking).

Heck knows why they are building the footy stadium in London. A few
years I was going up (towards London) the M1 on a Saturday morning.
It was weird there was no traffic. At one point I had a clear empty
road ahead for about 2 miles and could only see one car in my mirrors.
Found it was cup final day and no one was going to it, they all stay
home and watch it on the TV - M-way clear and empty.

Old September 24th 05, 07:45 PM
Vamp

"Peter Hill" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 17:00:41 +0100, John > wrote:
>
>>Is there still a British Motor Show at the NEC in Birmingham each year
>>in August? I've not been to one of these since I think it was 1999.
>>I'm sure I heard somewhere they stopped doing them in Birmingham?

> They stopped doing Earls Court which the Brum show alternated with.
> Earls Court is/was crap, no space for proper stands, per square foot
> cost an arm and a leg so makers wouldn't pay anyway, hotels for stand
> staff cost a fortune, no one came cos they couldn't park within 20
> miles and there was no room to move in the 6 foot wide alleyways if
> you did get in the place. So now it's only every other year. Even a
> little event like the Motorcycle show with only 4 Jap, 2 Brit, 1
> German, 4 Italian (3 on one stand as same importer) 1 American + a few
> assorted others makers didn't fit 20 years ago. All Earls Court is
> fit for is local computer markets and flea markets.
>
> But every other year at NEC wasn't good enough for the ****'s.
>
> So it's moved to yet another London ******** with crap access and no
> parking.
> http://www.autoindustry.co.uk/news/e...pup/20-07-06_1
> http://www.excel-london.co.uk/excelv...e/by_road.html
> 10min from Tower bridge, yeah, who the hell lives at Tower Bridge? I
> suppose Tony and his mates will be able to skive off to get to it
> without diverting a Jumbo jet or 777 (can't land one of them in
> docklands airport anyway). Not that road access matters.
> http://www.excel-london.co.uk/excelv...e/parking.html
> 4000 spaces for a motor show! Better prebook your space now there's a
> good chance you won't get a space if the makers book space for stand
> staff. (make sure your credit card dosen't expire before the show cos
> a new one won't work, it's not the same card) NEC shows had 20,000
> staff and even squashed 5 per car they will fill the car park leaving
> no space for vistors. Sort of limits the number of people attending
> to about 20,000 per day = 200,000 over 10 days, when to match NEC it
> needs to cater for 600,000.
> http://www.prnewswire.co.uk/cgi/news/release?id=16355
>
> What a sick joke. NEC has over 22,000 car parking spaces with near
> direct M-way access to M42, which links direct to M40, M5, M6 (North
> and South) and has good link to M1 north via M/A42 or South via M6.
> http://www.necgroup.co.uk/visitor/travel/ByRoad.asp
> International airport next door (will take proper 400 seat planes not
> little 50 seaters) and mainline railway on site (not a little branch
> line running from a place with even less parking).
>
> Heck knows why they are building the footy stadium in London. A few
> years I was going up (towards London) the M1 on a Saturday morning.
> It was weird there was no traffic. At one point I had a clear empty
> road ahead for about 2 miles and could only see one car in my mirrors.
> Found it was cup final day and no one was going to it, they all stay
> home and watch it on the TV - M-way clear and empty.

not a fan of london huh? i don't mind excel centre isn't far for me

Old September 24th 05, 09:23 PM
Peter Hill

On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 18:05:41 +0100, John > wrote:

>On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 16:59:10 GMT, A strange species called Halmyre
> wrote:
>
>>John wrote:
>>
>>> Is there still a British Motor Show at the NEC in Birmingham each year
>>> in August? I've not been to one of these since I think it was 1999.
>>> I'm sure I heard somewhere they stopped doing them in Birmingham?
>>>
>>> John
>>>

>>I believe it is taking place in London, much to the pleasure of various
>>hacks who think travelling beyond the M25 is tantamount to a trip to the
>>dark side of the moon...

>You've got to be kidding me? I'm not going to London. Birmingham is
>easy to get to, its more central than London, and the facilities there
>are good. It would be easier for me to drive to the nearest Airport
>and go to the motor show in Frankfurt or Geneva.

And you get a bit more than a trade show for press hacks and dealers
which is all ExCeL can really cater for.

ExCeL exhibition floor space
# A total of 65,000 sq m event space
# South Hall - 32,000 sq m
# North Hall - 32,000 sq m

NEC 2004 motor show - Around 100,000 sq metres of indoor exhibition
space and a further 100 acres (400000m²) of outdoor facilities were
used for this year’s event

Geneva Total exhibition space is 114000 m²

The exhibition hall in Frankfurt has 215,000 square meters of
exhibition space

Shows how inadequate ExCeL is for an international event.

Old September 25th 05, 12:43 AM
Domestos

"John" > wrote in message
> Is there still a British Motor Show at the NEC in Birmingham each year
> in August? I've not been to one of these since I think it was 1999.
> I'm sure I heard somewhere they stopped doing them in Birmingham?
>
> John

My memeorys of a trip to teh motor show in london was as follows...

Year 1998 (I think) November
Venue Earls Court
Took 6 hours to travel from manchester and 1 hour mooching round london back
streets to find it
Finally founf main car-park and was pleased
Got in to the place - absolsulty heaving, couldn't see half the cars for the
crowds
got shafted for a hot dog, fries and coke for 2 of us at 11 quid !!
Decided to **** off about 4pm
Got the car park and was shafted again £15 for a ticket !!
Got to my car, and pressed my centrel locking button got in the car tried
to shut the passenger door and for some reason the lock had frozen shut
again and I couldn't get the door to close. The passenger had to hold the
door all the way back manchester (my girlfriend and she was not please about
it. We finally stopped off at a services and managed to get some rope to tie
it (we nicked it off a builders truck in the carpark..

Anyway got back about 4am - and was knackered - almost a 24 hour day...

I will not be going back to london for a car show... the only decent thing
that made a highlight for the day was when some punk ripped Jo guests bar of
and ran around shouting the fact and some big black guy whapped him out...
Not sure whether it was a Jo Guest publicity stunt but we all got an eye
full but the bra pincher got a black eye...

BTW the car was an Astra GTE !!

Domestos

British traffic signal lights Paul Hirose Driving 72 July 29th 05 03:00 PM
British Track Jon Simulators 4 July 5th 05 09:04 PM
Why were so many British cars positive earth? Hugo Schmeisser Technology 55 June 30th 05 08:41 PM
The soldier who saved the Beetle tricky VW air cooled 2 June 16th 05 10:13 PM
British gal convicted of driving one-handed Laura Bush murdered her boy friend Driving 24 January 28th 05 10:57 PM