sim racing is dead

Old December 19th 06, 02:14 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
jwilson54

Default sim racing is dead

wrote:
> timmy thompson wrote:
>> that is a sad fact

> Good riddance.

It may be dead but at our league XNSRL>COM we have 20 to 30 racers a
nite running nascar 2003
Old December 19th 06, 02:15 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Jeff Reid

I wouldn't say it's dead, but the thrill is long gone. Racing sims
have been around since 1999. I look at the Team Redline web site
and they seem to be always waiting for the next best thing to come
along. The problem is, that when the next best thing does come along
most players get bored with it faster than they did back in 1999,
and go back into waiting for the yet next best thing. Most of the
racing sim players are older, and getting older still, and less
willing to spend as much time gaming as they used to.

The racing sims will improve, but the newness is gone. There isn't
going to be any sudden leap in the physics or the graphics, just
a steady progression over time. There will be more competing titles,
splitting up the field.

Regarding PC based games, racing sims are a pretty small percentage
of total sales. My evidence here is that GTR2 sold for $20 in the
USA when it was first release. Need For Speed Carbon, an arcade
racer sold for double that. Fligh Sim X (ten) sold for even more.
It seems that the role playing games dominates sales for PC games.
In the USA, the console games are outselling PC games.

Old December 19th 06, 02:19 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Jeff Reid

> It may be dead but at our league XNSRL>COM we have 20 to 30 racers a nite running nascar 2003

This may be cruel, but what percentage of NR2003 racers have jobs?

Old December 19th 06, 09:07 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Tony Rickard

Jeff Reid wrote:
> I wouldn't say it's dead, but the thrill is long gone. Racing sims
> have been around since 1999.

<snip>
> The racing sims will improve, but the newness is gone. There isn't
> going to be any sudden leap in the physics or the graphics, just
> a steady progression over time. There will be more competing titles,
> splitting up the field.

The sudden leaps you describe took place before 1999, for me Indy 500
being the first in 1990.

If you look at the developments in the early nineties - F1GP, ICR,
Nascar, ICR2, GP2 etc. the improvements with each title were great,
rendering previous titles obsolete (providing you had the hardware to
run them). Major physics changes, move from VGA to SVGA, sound card
development (the first Soundblasters over Adlib cards!), move to
accelerated graphics cards (Rendition, 3dfx etc.) plus a major leap in
processing power.

I do agree with the splitting of the field though, to grow sim racing it
needs to move out of its niche grouping. The answer probably lies with
better organisation and a more outward facing approach. Which would
appear to be the way we are heading in 2007.

In 1999 I believe it only seemed to be flourishing because the
relatively few sim racers were all in VROC together!

Cheers
Tony

Old December 19th 06, 12:42 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Darus

On Dec 19, 3:07 am, Tony Rickard
> wrote:
> .

..
..

> I do agree with the splitting of the field though, to grow sim racing it
> needs to move out of its niche grouping. The answer probably lies with
> better organisation and a more outward facing approach. Which would
> appear to be the way we are heading in 2007.

..
..

> Tony

Therein lies the problem. The niche group (us) wants dead on balls
accurate physics to simulate the car in question. The far larger market
of potential driving enthusiasts wants "fun" without the high learning
curve. Take for example, the "modern" GPL demo. If that was available
as a full product at retail, all tracks, cars, sounds, etc. updated to
the present level, it would still be a flop, sales wise anyway. There
are so few ppl. who will spend the time required to learn to sim drive
a car, despite the sensational eye candy and long term enjoyment from
taming any of the 1967 GP cars.

I suppose Simbin/Blimey attempted to bridge that gap with the
multilevel physics options for GTR and GTL (amateur, semi-pro & Pro),
but I have no idea how well they did with sales. NASCAR (and perhaps
F1) would be the logical choices to attract the broadest market, but
both licenses are tied up with companies who are satisfied with the
sales from the initial release and not a long term approach, like Papy
did with the NRxxxx series. They (Papy) continually added to the
product over the life of the sim and made it better each time. EA puts
out a crap NASCAR title (I refuse to call it a sim) and then abandons
it. There hasn't been a F1 title in 6 years, IIRC due to Sony.

Old December 19th 06, 03:21 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
James Promme

"Tony Rickard" > wrote in message
> <snip>

> In 1999 I believe it only seemed to be flourishing because the
> relatively few sim racers were all in VROC together!
>
> Cheers
> Tony

Oh, I don't know; I believe the numbers of Nascar Racing 3 simmers around
in '99 might have had something to do with it too <wink>

Old December 19th 06, 04:25 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Plowboy

What the hell you mean by that Jeff?

Jeff Reid enlightened us with:

Old December 19th 06, 04:30 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Plowboy

Only genre in Simulations that is dead, is SODa Offroad. (technically CORR
now http://www.corracing.com/). How hard would it be to get the code from
the guys that developed SODA? probably hard as hell now...

I sure wish the Richard Burns Rally developers would take what they learned
about rally, and make the sim to emulate CORR (Rough offroad truck racing on
closed courses in front of stadiums, called the Motocross Of pickups by some
of us fans...)

timmy thompson enlightened us with:

Old December 19th 06, 06:12 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Tim Wheatley

Plowboy wrote:

> Only genre in Simulations that is dead, is SODa Offroad. (technically CORR
> now http://www.corracing.com/). How hard would it be to get the code from
> the guys that developed SODA? probably hard as hell now...

The guy who developed SODA now works with iRacing.com.

Old December 19th 06, 06:54 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Jeff Reid

>> but what percentage of NR2003 racers have jobs?

> What do you mean by that?

NR2003 online is very time consuming. On the open servers, each race
takes about 1/2 hour, warmup, qualify, then race. So 4 races would
take 2 hours. I remember reading about some players that spend 20
hours or more a week online. Maybe the league play is different.

Maybe I should have stated "have jobs or sleep", it was just
referring to the amount of time that NR2003 can consume.

The Deadly World of Street Racing [email protected] Driving 6 July 18th 06 06:58 AM
BOOK - ROAD RACING [email protected] Technology 1 April 25th 06 03:56 PM
GTP Lives!!! Steve Smith Simulators 20 February 14th 05 05:59 AM
Mustang Returns to Sports Car Racing Grover C. McCoury III Ford Mustang 0 January 29th 05 06:39 PM
Tough to Enter the Racing Sim Scene Chuck Simulators 14 November 10th 04 06:27 AM