Incredibly hard-to-remove lugnuts

Old September 26th 04, 06:47 AM
Franko

Find an iron pipe you can hammer/force over the rounded nut (works well on
keyed McGard-style locknuts). Use a pipe wrench to turn iron pipe one way
or the other way. Good luck.

om...

Old September 26th 04, 08:32 PM
Lon

G.R. Patterson III proclaimed:

> "James P. H. Fuller" wrote:
>
>>The wheel
>>is dished in and the lugs are placed in a sort of circular trough
>>within the dish, result being I can't get a nut splitter on the frozen
>>lugnuts.

> If you're serious about splitting the nuts, this can be done from the end of the nut
> rather than the side by using a cold chisel. Lots of work, though.

Using a good cold chisel aided by a Dremel is pretty good. Slow, but
sometimes just cutting a very thin slice in the nut will allow it to
be removed without the chisel. Best done with a tungsten carbide or
better yet, diamond, bit.
Old September 27th 04, 02:43 AM
Ken McNairn

Chrysler used left hand threads on one side of the vehicle and right hand
threads on the other side. The mind grows dimmer, though, and I can't remember
which side was which.

Old September 27th 04, 03:55 AM
Larry

Ken McNairn wrote:
> Chrysler used left hand threads on one side of the vehicle and right hand
> threads on the other side. The mind grows dimmer, though, and I can't remember
> which side was which.

> "G.R. Patterson III" wrote:
>

>>Larry wrote:
>>
>>>Here's a thought. Any possibility it's a left-hand thread? If it is a
>>>homemade trailer, and the builder happened to use a wheel/axle from, for
>>>example, a 50's Chrysler product, you may be tightening it further when
>>>you think you're loosening it.

>>Didn't the old Chrysler products have an "L" stamped on the end of the lugs?
>>
>>George Patterson
>> If a man gets into a fight 3,000 miles away from home, he *had* to have
>> been looking for it.

I *think* it was right-hand thread on the right side, and left-hand
thread on left side. The theory, as I recall, was that if a lug nut came
loose, the forward motion of the vehicle would be more likely to keep
the nut from working its way off the stud.

Larry

Old September 27th 04, 04:31 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Larry wrote:

> I *think* it was right-hand thread on the right side, and left-hand
> thread on left side. The theory, as I recall, was that if a lug nut came
> loose, the forward motion of the vehicle would be more likely to keep
> the nut from working its way off the stud.

That's definitely the idea, as I recall, but I still think they marked the left-hand
threaded lugs. IIRC, they stamped the end of the lug with an "L" on one side of the
car.

BTW, I also remember it being the left side of the car that had the left-hand
threads. I worked at a gas station in the mid-60s, and ran into it in the usual way.
:-)

Old September 27th 04, 03:47 PM
dreas

"G.R. Patterson III" > wrote in message

> Larry wrote:
> >
> > I *think* it was right-hand thread on the right side, and left-hand
> > thread on left side. The theory, as I recall, was that if a lug nut came
> > loose, the forward motion of the vehicle would be more likely to keep
> > the nut from working its way off the stud.

> That's definitely the idea, as I recall, but I still think they marked the

left-hand
> threaded lugs. IIRC, they stamped the end of the lug with an "L" on one

side of the
> car.
>
> BTW, I also remember it being the left side of the car that had the

left-hand
> threads. I worked at a gas station in the mid-60s, and ran into it in the

usual way.
> :-)

Heh. I remember the same thing on a neighbor's car. We removed the wheels
to paint them silver. It was a 60's Barracuda...

Old September 27th 04, 11:42 PM
Nate Nagel

Larry wrote:

> I *think* it was right-hand thread on the right side, and left-hand
> thread on left side. The theory, as I recall, was that if a lug nut came
> loose, the forward motion of the vehicle would be more likely to keep
> the nut from working its way off the stud.
>
> Larry

Yes. It's actually got a more complicated explanation than that, but
you got the sides correct. Studebaker did the same thing, although they
quit sometime between '56 and '62. Chrysler was using LH thread as late
as 1969 and maybe later (that's just the newest MoPar I've worked on.)

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Old September 27th 04, 11:43 PM
Nate Nagel

G.R. Patterson III wrote:

> Larry wrote:
>
>>I *think* it was right-hand thread on the right side, and left-hand
>>thread on left side. The theory, as I recall, was that if a lug nut came
>>loose, the forward motion of the vehicle would be more likely to keep
>>the nut from working its way off the stud.

> That's definitely the idea, as I recall, but I still think they marked the left-hand
> threaded lugs. IIRC, they stamped the end of the lug with an "L" on one side of the
> car.
>
> BTW, I also remember it being the left side of the car that had the left-hand
> threads. I worked at a gas station in the mid-60s, and ran into it in the usual way.
> :-)

So YOU'RE the guy that put the two right hand thread studs on my old

nate

Old September 28th 04, 03:33 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Nate Nagel wrote:

> So YOU'RE the guy that put the two right hand thread studs on my old

Hey! It was late and that's all we had in stock after I buggered up the originals.
:-)