Using Aviation Fuel from your local airport ... in your Vette

Old October 20th 05, 05:44 PM
.

Default Using Aviation Fuel from your local airport ... in your Vette

"Vandervecken" > wrote in message
> The avgas is more volatile than pump gas and made the car
> run very rich. ... what it might, or night not, do to an automotive
> carburetor.
>
> -- Vandervecken

This inane post is too rich.

Old October 20th 05, 07:57 PM
Vandervecken

It's a lot more nane if you don't cut out verbage to alter the meaning.

-- V

Old October 20th 05, 08:21 PM
.

> It's a lot more nane if you don't cut out verbage to alter the

meaning.

> -- V

Not a SINGLE WORD was taken out of context
you illiterate, top posting, newbie, stupid ****.

Old October 20th 05, 10:38 PM
Big Al

"Jim Smith" > wrote in message
> What I have seen and heard, is that you take a racing fuel jug and get
> them
> to fill it up and if they ask any questions, you tell them you have a home
> built rig, or ultralite and can't fly in to their location. It works...
> Jim
>

> "Dave in Lake Villa" > wrote in message
>> 'Problem #1: Your local airport WILL NOT pump AV gas into your car. If
>> you know someone who works there, maybe they will fill a jerry can or
>> two for you, but don't think that you can just drive up and get in line
>> behind that pretty lear jet.'
>>
>> Reply: I used to just pull right up to the pump and pump it myself.
>> After i paid, the guy here would always tell me to 'have a nice day'
>> even.
>>
>> 'Problem #2: Av gas is leaded and tetraethyl lead poisons catalytic
>> converters.'
>>
>> Reply: A 1970 Corvette doesnt have cats.

We use AV gas in one of our race cars. Just go to the pump, swipe the credit
card, fill a 20 gallon drum and drive off. No problem. We find our car is
more consistent on AV gas than racing fuel. And, they call it low lead, but
compared to yesteryear's car fuel, it's not low.

Al

Old October 21st 05, 12:37 PM
lab~rat

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 05:33:54 GMT, "Jim Smith" >
puked:

>What I have seen and heard, is that you take a racing fuel jug and get them
>to fill it up and if they ask any questions, you tell them you have a home
>built rig, or ultralite and can't fly in to their location. It works...
>Jim

In S. Florida you can pump 100+ Octane airboat fuel right in the tank.
--
lab~rat >:-)
Do you want polite or do you want sincere?
Old October 21st 05, 03:48 PM
PJ

Default Using Aviation Fuel from your local airport ... in your Vettew/nitrous ?

Dave in Lake Villa wrote:
> Back when i was running 11-1 compression , I sometimes went to my local
> airport that would sell thier 100 octane gas for high perf. cars and
> boats. It made a difference . I dont need to do that anymore since the
> motor was rebuilt to 9.6 cr ...but, i was wondering if any of you have
> tried AV Fuel ? I dont think theyre supposed to sell that for cars and
> boats since there is no road tax figured into the price ; at least thats
> what ive heard.

Back in the mid-50s I was driving a '51 Olds 88 'vert (303 cid) with
milled heads, compression ratio probably near 10:1. It "cackled" on
either commercial premium or 96 octane (blue) AvGas. Green, 100/130 was
about right in that engine and gave a plug life of about 5000 miles.
Green wasn't pumped too often on that base--we only used it in a couple
of C-45's (called them SNB's). Purple 115/145 was easy to come by--the
fuel farm pumped thousands of gallons every day (and a few hundred
gallons of "spillage" and "evaporation" each week wasn't a problem). One
of the fuel guys suggested I try a tankful. Nice and quiet but plug
deposits were a problem. After two plug changes in three months, I
re-gasketed the Olds & sold it. Two cars later I got my first 'vette
but never lurked around the fuel farm with that car -- the red 'vette
was not as 'subtle' as the pale green Olds. :-)

Interesting point with both fuels was that spark could be advanced to
the point of diminishing returns without any ping. The Olds didn't
really exploit the capabilities of either 100/130 or 115/145.

Has anyone run nitrous with AvGas ?? ....PJ
Old November 4th 05, 06:20 AM
Dennis Willson

Big Al wrote:
> "Jim Smith" > wrote in message
>
>>What I have seen and heard, is that you take a racing fuel jug and get
>>them
>>to fill it up and if they ask any questions, you tell them you have a home
>>built rig, or ultralite and can't fly in to their location. It works...
>>Jim
>>

>>"Dave in Lake Villa" > wrote in message
>>
>>>'Problem #1: Your local airport WILL NOT pump AV gas into your car. If
>>>you know someone who works there, maybe they will fill a jerry can or
>>>two for you, but don't think that you can just drive up and get in line
>>>behind that pretty lear jet.'
>>>
>>>Reply: I used to just pull right up to the pump and pump it myself.
>>>After i paid, the guy here would always tell me to 'have a nice day'
>>>even.
>>>
>>>'Problem #2: Av gas is leaded and tetraethyl lead poisons catalytic
>>>converters.'
>>>
>>>Reply: A 1970 Corvette doesnt have cats.
>>>

> We use AV gas in one of our race cars. Just go to the pump, swipe the credit
> card, fill a 20 gallon drum and drive off. No problem. We find our car is
> more consistent on AV gas than racing fuel. And, they call it low lead, but
> compared to yesteryear's car fuel, it's not low.
>
> Al

What type of racing are you doing that you can pass the fuel test? They
check us all the time both when we race SCCA and Champ Car.

Dennis
Old November 5th 05, 02:15 PM
Big Al

"Dennis Willson" > wrote in message
> Big Al wrote:
>> "Jim Smith" > wrote in message
>>
>>>What I have seen and heard, is that you take a racing fuel jug and get
>>>them
>>>to fill it up and if they ask any questions, you tell them you have a
>>>home
>>>built rig, or ultralite and can't fly in to their location. It works...
>>>Jim

>> We use AV gas in one of our race cars. Just go to the pump, swipe the
>> credit card, fill a 20 gallon drum and drive off. No problem. We find our
>> car is more consistent on AV gas than racing fuel. And, they call it low
>> lead, but compared to yesteryear's car fuel, it's not low.
>>
>> Al

> What type of racing are you doing that you can pass the fuel test? They
> check us all the time both when we race SCCA and Champ Car.
>
> Dennis

Drag racing. There are no fuel checks and we usually run 110 to 114 octane
racing fuel. It's about $6.00 a gallon.

Al

Old November 7th 05, 12:02 AM
localhost

I have used the aviation gas. 100 octane low lead as they call it has more
lead in it than automotive fuel ever had. The only down side to the aviation
fuel is it is formulated for air cooled aircraft piston engines that are
designed to use just enough oil to keep the upper cylinders lubricated.
Avgas is very dry and will wipe the oil film from the cylinder walls of a
automobile engine which in turn causes premature ring wear. I mixed a little
two stroke engine oil with the gas to help prevent damage. Also, aviation
engines have duel ignition systems for safety reasons one of them being lead
fouling of the spark plugs. Not a big issue in a car but in plane it is a
little hard to pull over at 10,000 feet and change a fouled plug.

Old November 7th 05, 03:38 AM
Vandervecken

Please recheck your facts.

> 100 octane low lead as they call it has more lead in it than
> automotive fuel ever had.

Leaded autogas typically used a lead content of two to three grams /
gallon. Current formulation of 100LL AVGAS uses 0.57 g / gal. This is
why most air-cooled piston aviation engines can be STC'd to use
'unleaded' mogas.

> The only down side to the aviation fuel is it is formulated for air
> cooled aircraft piston engines that are designed to use just enough
> oil to keep the upper cylinders lubricated.

Piston aircraft engines' upper cylinders are lubed about like those in
cars - oil from the sump. Piston skirts and cylinder walls are lubed
(and in part cooled) by oil jets, valve gear by oil pumped into the
heads. Lead additive in gas does not lubricate any part of an aviation
piston engine, including (contrary to myth) valve stems or seats. AV
engines use nice hard valve guides and seats, and often sodium-cooled
exhaust valves, to let the oil do its work. Note also that essentially
all piston aviation engines can be STC'd to use 80/87 low-lead mogas,
and this obviously could not be done if aviation engines really needed
more lead in ther fuel.

> Avgas is very dry and will wipe the oil film from the cylinder walls
> of a automobile engine which in turn causes premature ring wear.

Then it'd also tend to remove oil coatings in aviation engines, which it
does not.

> Also, aviation engines have duel ignition systems for safety reasons
> one of them being lead
> fouling of the spark plugs.

In over thirty years of flying piston-powered airplanes I have seen
exactly one fouled spark plug, and it was not lead-fouled. I have never
heard any case of an aviation spark plug becoming lead fouled.

-- V

258 head swap? Steve G Jeep 8 October 4th 05 04:34 PM
Starting Problems McNick Jeep 12 October 1st 05 03:58 AM
Can 02 Mustang show which cylinder misfires on scanner? John Shepardson Ford Mustang 3 August 29th 05 03:40 AM
98 concorde starting problems xmirage2kx Chrysler 90 August 21st 05 04:32 AM