Using Aviation Fuel from your local airport ... in your Vette

Old October 19th 05, 01:05 PM
Dave in Lake Villa

Default Using Aviation Fuel from your local airport ... in your Vette

Back when i was running 11-1 compression , I sometimes went to my local
airport that would sell thier 100 octane gas for high perf. cars and
boats. It made a difference . I dont need to do that anymore since the
motor was rebuilt to 9.6 cr ...but, i was wondering if any of you have
tried AV Fuel ? I dont think theyre supposed to sell that for cars and
boats since there is no road tax figured into the price ; at least thats
what ive heard.

Old October 19th 05, 02:57 PM
Crabs

Dave in Lake Villa wrote:
> Back when i was running 11-1 compression , I sometimes went to my local
> airport that would sell thier 100 octane gas for high perf. cars and
> boats. It made a difference . I dont need to do that anymore since the
> motor was rebuilt to 9.6 cr ...but, i was wondering if any of you have
> tried AV Fuel ? I dont think theyre supposed to sell that for cars and
> boats since there is no road tax figured into the price ; at least thats
> what ive heard.

Problem #1: Your local airport WILL NOT pump AV gas into your car. If
you know someone who works there, maybe they will fill a jerry can or
two for you, but don't think that you can just drive up and get in line
behind that pretty lear jet.
Problem #2: Av gas is leaded and tetraethyl lead poisons catalytic
converters.

Shut Up Dave.
Old October 19th 05, 04:19 PM

LMFAO@dimwitted dave

Hasn't he heard that heating oil #1 works even better than either Avgas
100 or Jet A-1 when mixed 50-50 with unleaded premium

Old October 19th 05, 11:26 PM
bad65

I certainly hope that you don't pump aviation fuel for a living.

Avgas is 100LL or low lead; not your leaded gas of yesterday. It's a great
high octane fuel for high compression engines, for both aviation and road
use. I doubt that any modern automobile will get an Avgas tanker nozzle in
it's filler neck, so don't worry about the other guy's converter.

As I recall, Dave's vette is around a '69 and pre-catalytic converter. I
don't think the lead is an issue with his vette.

Note: If you put Avgas instead of Jet "A" fuel in my Lear Jet, I'd be
sticking the nozzle up your tank.

Old October 19th 05, 11:48 PM

Note: If you put Avgas instead of Jet "A" fuel in my Lear Jet, I'd be
>sticking the nozzle up your tank.

if you lived, turbines dont like 100ll

Old October 20th 05, 01:55 AM
Vandervecken

Bad65 - what model Learjet? I love those airplanes.

---

I've tried running a 100LL avgas / pump gas mix to make a '65 Wildcat
happy. The car has the original 401 Buick 'Nailhead' engine, never
detuned, and does *not* like modern pump gas. Heck, she was picky even
back in the Sixties when you could pump 102 octane and 93 octane was
lawnmower gas. (Yes, I know the ratings changed. The point stands
nonetheless.)

To start with, the good folks are right that it technically is not legal
to do this. Part of it has to do with what use taxes have been paid - or
not paid - on the fuel. Another part stems from the lack of certain
additives required for emissions purposes.

The 100LL is 'low lead' (that's the 'LL') but not lead-free. Using it
will definitely make the warranty on your catalytic converter expire.

The Wildcat ran beautifully on the mix - and gave 6 mpg (opposed to her
customary 11). The avgas is more volatile than pump gas and made the car
run very rich. It also has a much different additive package and I doubt
if anyone can vouch for what it might, or night not, do to an automotive
carburetor.

That's my $.02 worth.

-- Vandervecken
Old October 20th 05, 03:47 AM
Dave in Lake Villa

'Problem #1: Your local airport WILL NOT pump AV gas into your car. If
you know someone who works there, maybe they will fill a jerry can or
two for you, but don't think that you can just drive up and get in line
behind that pretty lear jet.'

Reply: I used to just pull right up to the pump and pump it myself.
After i paid, the guy here would always tell me to 'have a nice day'
even.

'Problem #2: Av gas is leaded and tetraethyl lead poisons catalytic
converters.'

Reply: A 1970 Corvette doesnt have cats.

'Shut Up Dave'

Reply: THis is pretty immature.

Old October 20th 05, 06:33 AM
Jim Smith

What I have seen and heard, is that you take a racing fuel jug and get them
to fill it up and if they ask any questions, you tell them you have a home
built rig, or ultralite and can't fly in to their location. It works...
Jim

Old October 20th 05, 11:30 AM
Alan

Many GA (general aviatiion) airports now have self-serve pumps so you
may not even have to interface with anyone. Depending upon the
airport and security arrangements, you could drive right up on the
ramp to the pump and pump it yourself. (Watch out for those spinning
propellers.) The smaller the airport, the more likely it is you can
do this. Although, Taos for example, does have an electronic
security gate. And that's about as low-traffic a place as it gets.
On my last cross-country flight about 2 weeks ago, 100LL in Boulder
was $3.65/gallon and $4.48/gallon in Utah, Nevada and Northern
California.

258 head swap? Steve G Jeep 8 October 4th 05 04:34 PM
Starting Problems McNick Jeep 12 October 1st 05 03:58 AM
Can 02 Mustang show which cylinder misfires on scanner? John Shepardson Ford Mustang 3 August 29th 05 03:40 AM
98 concorde starting problems xmirage2kx Chrysler 90 August 21st 05 04:32 AM