Homework 10 home automotive repairs starting from an oil change and ending with engine replacement

Old October 17th 18, 04:22 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Drago Giambattista Esposito

Default Homework 10 home automotive repairs starting from an oil change and ending with engine replacement

Ed Pawlowski

> I see no mention of spark plugs.

I forgot all about spark plugs!
Even though they last 100K miles, they need to be replaced.

I think I'll remove the struts because someone said that struts and brakes
don't go together (although don't struts need to be replaced as much as
spark plugs do?).

I'll definitely add spark plugs to a generic all-purpoe "tune up" even
though a "tune up" doesn't seem to exist as a "thing" any more.

That "tune up" will include the filters and spark plugs and wipers and
anything "rubbery" like hoses. With that tune up can be the simple stuff
with putting air in tires and topping off fluids.

Would that work better?
Old October 17th 18, 04:48 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Ed Pawlowski

On 10/16/2018 11:22 PM, Drago Giambattista Esposito wrote:
> Ed Pawlowski
>> I see no mention of spark plugs.

> I forgot all about spark plugs!
> Even though they last 100K miles, they need to be replaced.
>
> I think I'll remove the struts because someone said that struts and brakes
> don't go together (although don't struts need to be replaced as much as
> spark plugs do?).
>
> I'll definitely add spark plugs to a generic all-purpoe "tune up" even
> though a "tune up" doesn't seem to exist as a "thing" any more.
> That "tune up" will include the filters and spark plugs and wipers and
> anything "rubbery" like hoses. With that tune up can be the simple stuff
> with putting air in tires and topping off fluids.
>
> Would that work better?

That helps.

Tune up used to mean plugs, points, set the timing. That was done every
10,000 miles.
You may want to look at the owners manual of just about any car for
maintenance intervals.
Old October 17th 18, 09:57 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Xeno

On 17/10/18 2:22 pm, Drago Giambattista Esposito wrote:
> Ed Pawlowski
>> I see no mention of spark plugs.

> I forgot all about spark plugs!
> Even though they last 100K miles, they need to be replaced.
>
> I think I'll remove the struts because someone said that struts and brakes
> don't go together (although don't struts need to be replaced as much as
> spark plugs do?).

Spark plugs are a scheduled service item. You could lump that in number
one or in whatever number you assign to a tune up.

Struts are only changed when they leak or their damping becomes
ineffective. That will depend a lot on the roads travelled.

> I'll definitely add spark plugs to a generic all-purpoe "tune up" even
> though a "tune up" doesn't seem to exist as a "thing" any more.

Just like greasing is no longer part of scheduled servicing on *cars*,
though it still exists on 4x4s, trucks and earthmoving equipment.

Some driveshafts may have a grease nipple on the universal joint that
has the least amount of angular movement on 2 piece driveshafts. There
is a reason for this.

> That "tune up" will include the filters and spark plugs and wipers and
> anything "rubbery" like hoses.

During scheduled servicing, perishable items like wiper blades, rubber
hoses, lights, even the POST lamps on the dash at key on, should be
inspected. See below for further explanation.

> With that tune up can be the simple stuff with putting air > in tires and topping off fluids.
>
> Would that work better?

No. Air in tyres, fluid top ups, wiper blade inspection, etc. all come
under periodic maintenance servicing and should be included with item 1,
oil and filter changes, as should the air and cabin filter. Could even
include a brake adjustment if the vehicle is not fitted with self
adjusters. Should also include fluid flushing - coolant, brake fluid,
auto trans, power steering. Not to forget, there may well be a filter in
the power steering that requires regular replacement.

I suggest you look at the service schedule for your vehicle. It will
list the scheduled maintenance items and the scheduled period. These may
be termed A, B and C services depending on the time interval, A being
the most frequent, C being the least frequent.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Old October 17th 18, 05:38 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

Drago Giambattista Esposito wrote:
> I'm taking a night class on auto maintenance in adult school.
> There is no grade and no tests. Just learning. And fun.
>
> The teacher asked today, the first class, for us to bring next week a list
> of the 10 things that people can do at home to repair their car, starting
> with number 1 being an oil change and number 10 being an engine
> replacement.
>
> Can I run by you my first list?
>
> 1. Oil & filter Change
> 10. Engine replacement
>
> 2. Air & cabin air filter replacement
> 3. Flush & replace all fluids
> 4. Belt & tensioner replacement
> 5. Alternator & battery replacement
> 6. Brakes & struts overhauled
> 7. Cooling system overhaul
> 8. Starter replacement
> 9. Clutch replacement and/or automatic filter replacement
>
> How does that list look as a first pass?

On a vehicle made prior to 2000 most of these can be done by a DIYer.
However on newer vehicles there are quite a few that you need special
tools and a good bi-directional scan tool to do. Most DIY folks won't
have those.

For instance - Batteries on many newer vehicles need to have the new
battery information entered into the vehicles data so the charging
system will work.
Got an electronic parking brake? You may need a scan tool to retract the
calipers to be able to change the pads.

This is especially true on Euro vehicles as they keep adding more
electronics.

Even something as simple as changing the spark plugs can cause headaches
if you need to remove the intake manifold or deal with things like the
plugs in a Ford Triton engine.

The first thing in any of these is going to be finding the correct
service information.

--
Steve W.
Old October 17th 18, 10:08 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Oren[_2_]

On Wed, 17 Oct 2018 03:07:35 +0200, Drago Giambattista Esposito
> wrote:

>I'm taking a night class on auto maintenance in adult school.
>There is no grade and no tests. Just learning. And fun.
>
>The teacher asked today, the first class, for us to bring next week a list
>of the 10 things that people can do at home to repair their car, starting
>with number 1 being an oil change and number 10 being an engine
>replacement.
>
>Can I run by you my first list?
>
>1. Oil & filter Change
>10. Engine replacement
>
>2. Air & cabin air filter replacement
>3. Flush & replace all fluids
>4. Belt & tensioner replacement
>5. Alternator & battery replacement
>6. Brakes & struts overhauled
>7. Cooling system overhaul
>8. Starter replacement
>9. Clutch replacement and/or automatic filter replacement
>
>How does that list look as a first pass?

For me, keep the list simple. Stuff you would check or have done
before a road trip.

Simple DIY @ home is not opening the engine. Is the class on basics or
cars with computers... I'd stay simple making the list, myself.

What can I do with the resources I have on hand!
Old October 17th 18, 10:29 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Drago Giambattista Esposito

Oren

> For me, keep the list simple. Stuff you would check or have done
> before a road trip.
>
> Simple DIY @ home is not opening the engine. Is the class on basics or
> cars with computers... I'd stay simple making the list, myself.
>
> What can I do with the resources I have on hand!

The first lecture was all about the common fallacies of car repair.

His very first question on the board was "Why isn't your wife here?"
Then he asked everyone in the class that question, and we said why.
(Mine has never touched anything dirty or greasy in her life.)

As he wrote down the answers, an assistant (his kid?) passed out a sheet of
paper which had every one of the reasons we each said, already on it.

He said they're universal whenever someone doesn't want to do any job.

For tools, he said at the price of repairs now the tools always pay for
themselves, often on the first use depending on the tools & tasks.

He said learning is easier now than it ever was before, given the Internet.

He told us that anyone who tells us otherwise just doesn't like doing it
which he said was ok but for us to simply recognize it as an excuse.

I couldn't keep the homework list at 10 given the input.
How does this look, in a general order of easy to hard?

1. Oil & filter change
2. Battery replacement (standard battery setup)
3. Periodic scheduled maintenance (sometimes called a scheduled tune up)
(filters, spark plugs, wipers, hoses, pcv, fluids, tires)
4. Belt & belt tensioner replacement
5. Brake overhaul (rotors, drums, pads, shoes)
6. Cooling system overhaul (radiator, waterpump, thermostat, hoses)
7. Alternator replacement
8. Shock absorber or strut replacement
9. Starter replacement
10. Engine belt, chain guide, or engine chain replacement
11. Clutch replacement and/or automatic filter replacement
12. Remove & replace engine
Old October 18th 18, 12:29 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Xeno

On 18/10/18 8:29 am, Drago Giambattista Esposito wrote:
> Oren
>> For me, keep the list simple.Â* Stuff you would check or have done
>> before a road trip.
>>
>> Simple DIY @ home is not opening the engine. Is the class on basics or
>> cars with computers...Â* I'd stay simple making the list, myself.
>>
>> What can I do with the resources I have on hand!

> The first lecture was all about the common fallacies of car repair.
>
> His very first question on the board was "Why isn't your wife here?"
> Then he asked everyone in the class that question, and we said why.
> (Mine has never touched anything dirty or greasy in her life.)
>
> As he wrote down the answers, an assistant (his kid?) passed out a sheet of
> paper which had every one of the reasons we each said, already on it.
>
> He said they're universal whenever someone doesn't want to do any job.
>
> For tools, he said at the price of repairs now the tools always pay for
> themselves, often on the first use depending on the tools & tasks.
>
> He said learning is easier now than it ever was before, given the Internet.
>
> He told us that anyone who tells us otherwise just doesn't like doing it
> which he said was ok but for us to simply recognize it as an excuse.
>
> I couldn't keep the homework list at 10 given the input. How does this
> look, in a general order of easy to hard?
>
> 1. Oil & filter change
> 2. Battery replacement (standard battery setup)
> 3. Periodic scheduled maintenance (sometimes called a scheduled tune up)
> Â* (filters, spark plugs, wipers, hoses, pcv, fluids, tires) 4. Belt &
> belt tensioner replacement
> 5. Brake overhaul (rotors, drums, pads, shoes)
> 6. Cooling system overhaul (radiator, waterpump, thermostat, hoses)
> 7. Alternator replacement
> 8. Shock absorber or strut replacement
> 9. Starter replacement
> 10. Engine belt, chain guide, or engine chain replacement
> 11. Clutch replacement and/or automatic filter replacement
> 12. Remove & replace engine

Ditch the timing belt/chain replacement. There's way too many
opportunities in that task to really do your engine in unless you know
what you are doing. Ditto with strut replacement.

Old October 18th 18, 08:02 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_11_]

On Tuesday, October 16, 2018 at 3:07:37 PM UTC-10, Drago Giambattista Esposito wrote:
> I'm taking a night class on auto maintenance in adult school.
> There is no grade and no tests. Just learning. And fun.
>
> The teacher asked today, the first class, for us to bring next week a list
> of the 10 things that people can do at home to repair their car, starting
> with number 1 being an oil change and number 10 being an engine
> replacement.
>
> Can I run by you my first list?
>
> 1. Oil & filter Change
> 10. Engine replacement
>
> 2. Air & cabin air filter replacement
> 3. Flush & replace all fluids
> 4. Belt & tensioner replacement
> 5. Alternator & battery replacement
> 6. Brakes & struts overhauled
> 7. Cooling system overhaul
> 8. Starter replacement
> 9. Clutch replacement and/or automatic filter replacement
>
> How does that list look as a first pass?

I don't think #10 should be in there. Who the heck replaces engines? Certain crazy people I suppose. I have removed and re-built engines although the engine I re-built was a Mazda rotary which anybody should be able to do. Mostly, I removed engines to replace the clutch. It was just easier that way. There was one car that didn't require me to remove the transmission or the engine to change the clutch. What car was that?
Old October 19th 18, 12:16 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
AMuzi

On 10/18/2018 2:02 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Tuesday, October 16, 2018 at 3:07:37 PM UTC-10, Drago Giambattista Esposito wrote:
>> I'm taking a night class on auto maintenance in adult school.
>> There is no grade and no tests. Just learning. And fun.
>>
>> The teacher asked today, the first class, for us to bring next week a list
>> of the 10 things that people can do at home to repair their car, starting
>> with number 1 being an oil change and number 10 being an engine
>> replacement.
>>
>> Can I run by you my first list?
>>
>> 1. Oil & filter Change
>> 10. Engine replacement
>>
>> 2. Air & cabin air filter replacement
>> 3. Flush & replace all fluids
>> 4. Belt & tensioner replacement
>> 5. Alternator & battery replacement
>> 6. Brakes & struts overhauled
>> 7. Cooling system overhaul
>> 8. Starter replacement
>> 9. Clutch replacement and/or automatic filter replacement
>>
>> How does that list look as a first pass?

> I don't think #10 should be in there. Who the heck replaces engines? Certain crazy people I suppose. I have removed and re-built engines although the engine I re-built was a Mazda rotary which anybody should be able to do. Mostly, I removed engines to replace the clutch. It was just easier that way. There was one car that didn't require me to remove the transmission or the engine to change the clutch. What car was that?

Saab?

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Old October 19th 18, 02:59 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Xeno

On 19/10/18 6:02 am, dsi1 wrote:
> On Tuesday, October 16, 2018 at 3:07:37 PM UTC-10, Drago Giambattista Esposito wrote:
>> I'm taking a night class on auto maintenance in adult school.
>> There is no grade and no tests. Just learning. And fun.
>>
>> The teacher asked today, the first class, for us to bring next week a list
>> of the 10 things that people can do at home to repair their car, starting
>> with number 1 being an oil change and number 10 being an engine
>> replacement.
>>
>> Can I run by you my first list?
>>
>> 1. Oil & filter Change
>> 10. Engine replacement
>>
>> 2. Air & cabin air filter replacement
>> 3. Flush & replace all fluids
>> 4. Belt & tensioner replacement
>> 5. Alternator & battery replacement
>> 6. Brakes & struts overhauled
>> 7. Cooling system overhaul
>> 8. Starter replacement
>> 9. Clutch replacement and/or automatic filter replacement
>>
>> How does that list look as a first pass?

> I don't think #10 should be in there. Who the heck replaces engines? Certain crazy people I suppose. I have removed and re-built engines although the engine I re-built was a Mazda rotary which anybody should be able to do. Mostly, I removed engines to replace the clutch. It was just easier that way. There was one car that didn't require me to remove the transmission or the engine to change the clutch. What car was that?

The GM 4 cylinder FWD unit. It was the Camira in Australia. Don't know
what they called them in your neck of the woods but they used the GM
Family II engine, the Camtech 16LF;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Family_II_engine#16LF

Some models of Daewoo used the same powerplant.