Exhaust plugged up

Old June 28th 08, 01:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Dioclese

Default Exhaust plugged up

I was looking for something like gas pressure near the entry of the cat vice
the exit side of the cat. Guessing with near-plugged cat, the pressure on
the inlet side would increase dramatically as rpms increase near full
throttle.

The vacuum side on the intake could point to that as well.
Where's a good connection point for such a vacuum gauge on the intake?

--
Dave

We have a right to choose.
Choices have consequences,
for both self, and others.
You probably considered yourself.

Old June 28th 08, 05:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
None4You

On Jun 24, 7:25 am, "Dioclese" <NONE> wrote:
> How does one determine if a catalytic converter is sufficiently plugged up
> to affect the engine?
>
> --
> Dave

The easy test is to get out on the freeway and accelerate up to the
speed limit (will maybe a little over) in a bit of a hurry. If it is
blocked, you should feel a lack of power and slow acieration. It may
hit like a brick wall. This is not a sure test, but it works well
most of the time.

If you don't know, likely it is not overly clogged.

Why do you think it is
------
>>This is correct. Lack of power is common when stepping on the gas. You

still need to remove the converter to examine it and see if anything falls
out. its just a few bolts and clamps. The symptoms vary depending on how
much its plugged. And how the engine was running before it became plugged.
And maybe caused the malfunctioning converter problem . I find that people
who don't want to remove their converter are usually afraid the exhaust
pipes will fall apart from rust. And this is reason enough to suspect a
plugged converter. Especially if a piece of delaminated exhaust pipe might
be in the converter.

Old July 4th 08, 12:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Dioclese

"None4You" > wrote in message

> > wrote in message
> On Jun 24, 7:25 am, "Dioclese" <NONE> wrote:
>> How does one determine if a catalytic converter is sufficiently plugged
>> up
>> to affect the engine?
>>
>> --
>> Dave

> The easy test is to get out on the freeway and accelerate up to the
> speed limit (will maybe a little over) in a bit of a hurry. If it is
> blocked, you should feel a lack of power and slow acieration. It may
> hit like a brick wall. This is not a sure test, but it works well
> most of the time.
>
> If you don't know, likely it is not overly clogged.
>
> Why do you think it is ------
> >>This is correct. Lack of power is common when stepping on the gas. You

> still need to remove the converter to examine it and see if anything falls
> out. its just a few bolts and clamps. The symptoms vary depending on how
> much its plugged. And how the engine was running before it became plugged.
> And maybe caused the malfunctioning converter problem . I find that people
> who don't want to remove their converter are usually afraid the exhaust
> pipes will fall apart from rust. And this is reason enough to suspect a
> plugged converter. Especially if a piece of delaminated exhaust pipe might
> be in the converter.

Cat was replaced some 6 plus years ago. Aftermarket version, welded in
place. So, the loosen a couple of bolts to remove is not valid here. Local
Midas shop put the car on a lift and banged both mufflers and the cat
listening for loose internal components, nothing. All the piping has little
if any rust on it.

Again, I suspect cat blockage as the car ran very rich due to a faulty
coolant sensor for almost a month. And, has noticably slowed at highway
speeds at same amount of throttle. High speed acceleration is practically
nil.

Due to another response, I went out and got a vacuum gauge for checking the
intake vacuum. It reads 17 In/HG at 800 rpm idle. That area of the gauge
says possible late ignition timing. So, now I have to hunt down a timing
light.

Got a compression checking tool. Cylinders read the following:
#1: 137 psi
#2: 137 psi
#3: 138 psi
#4: 135 psi

Loosing coolant someplace. Filled the reservoir to spec, ran it till it
warmed up. Let it cool overnight, normal level for cold. Ran for about a
month, found coolant reservoir empty yesterday after driving back from town.
Filled to spec again, drove it a few miles. Don't seen any apparent leak or
dribble of one. Oil is clean colored, no milky shade. No antifreeze smell
inside the car.
--
Dave

New drilling sites for oil offshore and other
sensitive places. Question is, will that oil
go here in the U.S., or someplace else for sale?

Old July 6th 08, 08:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Jim Behning[_1_]

On Fri, 4 Jul 2008 06:39:10 -0500, "Dioclese" <NONE> wrote:

>"None4You" > wrote in message
>>
>> > wrote in message
>> On Jun 24, 7:25 am, "Dioclese" <NONE> wrote:
>>> How does one determine if a catalytic converter is sufficiently plugged
>>> up
>>> to affect the engine?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Dave

>> The easy test is to get out on the freeway and accelerate up to the
>> speed limit (will maybe a little over) in a bit of a hurry. If it is
>> blocked, you should feel a lack of power and slow acieration. It may
>> hit like a brick wall. This is not a sure test, but it works well
>> most of the time.
>>
>> If you don't know, likely it is not overly clogged.
>>
>> Why do you think it is ------

>> still need to remove the converter to examine it and see if anything falls
>> out. its just a few bolts and clamps. The symptoms vary depending on how
>> much its plugged. And how the engine was running before it became plugged.
>> And maybe caused the malfunctioning converter problem . I find that people
>> who don't want to remove their converter are usually afraid the exhaust
>> pipes will fall apart from rust. And this is reason enough to suspect a
>> plugged converter. Especially if a piece of delaminated exhaust pipe might
>> be in the converter.
>>

>Cat was replaced some 6 plus years ago. Aftermarket version, welded in
>place. So, the loosen a couple of bolts to remove is not valid here. Local
>Midas shop put the car on a lift and banged both mufflers and the cat
>listening for loose internal components, nothing. All the piping has little
>if any rust on it.
>
>Again, I suspect cat blockage as the car ran very rich due to a faulty
>coolant sensor for almost a month. And, has noticably slowed at highway
>speeds at same amount of throttle. High speed acceleration is practically
>nil.
>
>Due to another response, I went out and got a vacuum gauge for checking the
>intake vacuum. It reads 17 In/HG at 800 rpm idle. That area of the gauge
>says possible late ignition timing. So, now I have to hunt down a timing
>light.
>
>Got a compression checking tool. Cylinders read the following:
>#1: 137 psi
>#2: 137 psi
>#3: 138 psi
>#4: 135 psi
>
>Loosing coolant someplace. Filled the reservoir to spec, ran it till it
>warmed up. Let it cool overnight, normal level for cold. Ran for about a
>month, found coolant reservoir empty yesterday after driving back from town.
>Filled to spec again, drove it a few miles. Don't seen any apparent leak or
>dribble of one. Oil is clean colored, no milky shade. No antifreeze smell
>inside the car.

With a welded cat you eliminated my favorite visual test. I look at
both intake and outake looking for meltdown. I had had chunks fall off
the back so it looks clear but converter chunks acted like potatoes in
the pipe before the muffler causing quite a restriction

I have seen my car leak at the flange coming off the drivers side of
the head (USA drivers side). The aluminum had corroded to the point of
leaking. A new plastic flange from VW fixed that leak. Check your
antifreeze every day you drive it to see if there is some pattern like
driving it for a 100 miles in one setting cause a greater leak that a
week of 10 mile trips. I have had the radiator leak and a few hoses.
No head leaks in the years I owned Rabbits.

http://www.visn2.com/UsingVacumeGauge.html
http://dodge.justanswer.com/dodge/wi...an-3-0l-engine
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...05/ai_n8835448
Old July 6th 08, 11:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Jim Behning wrote:
> [...]

>>dribble of one. Oil is clean colored, no milky shade. No antifreeze smell
>>inside the car.

> With a welded cat you eliminated my favorite visual test. I look at
> both intake and outake looking for meltdown. I had had chunks fall off
> the back so it looks clear but converter chunks acted like potatoes in
> the pipe before the muffler causing quite a restriction
>
> I have seen my car leak at the flange coming off the drivers side of
> the head (USA drivers side). The aluminum had corroded to the point of
> leaking. A new plastic flange from VW fixed that leak. Check your
> antifreeze every day you drive it to see if there is some pattern like
> driving it for a 100 miles in one setting cause a greater leak that a
> week of 10 mile trips. I have had the radiator leak and a few hoses.
> No head leaks in the years I owned Rabbits.

should have just had the aluminum ones machined and/or filled the pits
with JB weld and filed flat, the plastic ones are known to warp and...
wait for it... leak.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old July 10th 08, 05:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
NiK

There should be no more than 3psi of exhaust pressure at WOT. 2.5psi is
excessive IMHO. Make up a gauge setup, pull your O2 sensor and cycle your
engine to WOT to get an idea. Anything under 2psi is great.
Fuel pressure is important, but don't ignore fuel VOLUME/Delivery as
pressure isn't the only factor. Flow is just as important in the fuel system
as the intake system flow- (read: Lose the K&N filter if you have it.)
BTW: If you had a serious 'rich condition' for extended periods, your Cat.
Conv. will likely suffer damage.

plugged air condtioner? teko Dodge 2 June 24th 06 01:20 PM
Is my PCV line plugged up? j Technology 5 June 9th 06 04:47 AM
Plugged Fuel Line Packrat46 VW air cooled 5 November 26th 05 02:56 PM
EGR system plugged Martik Technology 0 March 15th 05 05:24 AM
Plugged Egr Valves Why? Tjacobs Honda 3 November 17th 04 09:01 PM