Ping : Butcher

Old August 12th 07, 04:06 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

Default Ping : Butcher

"CardsFan" > wrote in message

Snip

> It took losing several auctions to get a set of factory service
> manuals for the '93. I was kind of stuck on paying no more than $75
> for the pair. Finally saw a "Buy it now" for $79 and jumped on it.
> With shipping, under $100 and they were in very good condition.
> From experience since then, they're indispensable.
>
> Best of luck getting yours.
>
> AJM
> '93 Ruby coupe, 6 sp (both tops)

Does the C4 manuals shake like it does when you use them??? ;-))

Old August 12th 07, 04:12 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
CardsFan

"Dad" > wrote in message
.. .

> "CardsFan" > wrote in message
>>

> Snip
>>
>> It took losing several auctions to get a set of factory service manuals
>> for the '93. I was kind of stuck on paying no more than $75 for the
>> pair. Finally saw a "Buy it now" for $79 and jumped on it. With shipping,
>> under $100 and they were in very good condition. From experience since
>> then, they're indispensable.
>>
>> Best of luck getting yours.
>>
>> AJM
>> '93 Ruby coupe, 6 sp (both tops)
>>

> Does the C4 manuals shake like it does when you use them??? ;-))

So that's why they're never in the same place on the shelf where I thought I
put them.

AJM
'93 Ruby coupe, 6 sp (both tops)

Old August 13th 07, 02:33 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dave in Lake Villa

'Sounds like water wetter is a waste of time. In 110 degree air temps,
our 2003 runs 194 with the stock thermostat and a 50/50 antifreeze mix.'

REPLY: I think the key with water wetter is to use it with as much
distilled water as possible ; I use a bottle of it with 90% distilled
water/10% coolant ... and it runs far cooler that its amazing. Takes far
longer for the temp to increase when stopped at a light too.

Old August 13th 07, 02:35 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dave in Lake Villa

'Okay the drum roll please -- temps top at 203F in traffic now, a good
25F cooler than it was. I'm surprised it when down that far, from 228F'

REPLY: Thats great. And especially for the ambient temps Austin,Texas
has been getting lately. Congradulations.

Old August 13th 07, 04:13 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Butcher[_2_]

"Dave in Lake Villa" > wrote in message
> 'Okay the drum roll please -- temps top at 203F in traffic now, a good
> 25F cooler than it was. I'm surprised it when down that far, from 228F'
>
> REPLY: Thats great. And especially for the ambient temps Austin,Texas
> has been getting lately. Congradulations.

Took it for a drive today it was 102F by the outside air thermometer, in
traffic it topped out at 203F again went down to 197F as soon as I started
moving, had to add a little water in the res. this morning probably will
take a few days to work all the air out of the system, it's doing a great
job now the oil temp doesn't get over about 215F too. I'm happy .. and
thanks again all for the advice I think the Water Wetter does help, anything
that helps the water make contact with the metal better (breaks surface
tension) should allow the water to transfer more heat, especially over rough
aluminum castings like the heads, where the temp sensor is. 25F difference
can't be argued with, the old antifreeze that came out of it looked pretty
good and the old hoses and thermostat seemed to be in fair shape and doing
their jobs although I did replace them.

Butcher
'96 LT-4 CE

Old August 13th 07, 01:02 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dave in Lake Villa

'probably will take a few days to work all the air out of the system,'

REPLY: You can 'burp' the cooling system to save time ; when the
engine is cold remove the radiator cap then start the car and let it
idle up to operating temp.

'it was 102F by the outside air thermometer, in traffic it topped out at
203F again went down to 197F as soon as I started moving, '

REPLY: This is a great improvement and well within the design specs for
a C4.

Theres a simple C4 Fan Control Kit available that will turn on your
radiator fans sooner than the factory setting in case youre interested .
Go to www.jegs.com . Dave.

Old August 13th 07, 04:20 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Butcher[_2_]

"Dave in Lake Villa" > wrote in message
>> 'probably will take a few days to work all the air out of the system,'

> REPLY: You can 'burp' the cooling system to save time ; when the
> engine is cold remove the radiator cap then start the car and let it
> idle up to operating temp.

yep tried that got a lot of air out but in the morning the res. was only
half full, this morning it needed maybe 8oz. of water to fill to the top I
bet that does it

>> 'it was 102F by the outside air thermometer, in traffic it topped out at
>> 203F again went down to 197F as soon as I started moving, '

> REPLY: This is a great improvement and well within the design specs for
> a C4.
>
> Theres a simple C4 Fan Control Kit available that will turn on your
> radiator fans sooner than the factory setting in case youre interested .
> Go to www.jegs.com . Dave.

thanks Dave for the website I checked there found a few fan switches but I
think I'll see how it does I'm getting tired of working on it,hehe. If it
stays below about 205F during the hottest time of the year here (now) I
think I'll leave it be.

It's still setting a code, P0420, "cat. efficiency below threshold" when I
'get on it' I've replaced one O2 sensor on that side (heater circuit
problem) will replace the older one in case it's not matching well with the
newer one, cat and muffler seem to be okay no rattles, reduced flow, sound
difference or innards coming out as I can tell. A counter guy at the local
auto parts store said sometimes a faulty gas cap can trip various codes like
this one but I put a new cap on it when I bought it just a month ago so I
doubt it's that.

Butcher
'96 LT-4 CE

Old August 13th 07, 08:28 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
dave

'thanks Dave for the website I checked there found a few fan switches
but I think I'll see how it does I'm getting tired of working on
it,hehe. If it stays below about 205F during the hottest time of the
year here (now) I think I'll leave it be.'

REPLY: Im on myh other email address -- In case you change your mind,
its the HyperTech Brand Fan Switch Kit Jegs #533-1014 (on at 176 f/off
at 166 f) or.... Jegs #533-4028 (on at 200 f/off at 185 f) in the
TPI/LT1/LS1 section of thier catalogue. Its a screw in Temp Sensor with
simple wire harness. $46.00 .

Dave

Old August 14th 07, 04:28 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Butcher[_2_]

"dave" > wrote in message
> 'thanks Dave for the website I checked there found a few fan switches
> but I think I'll see how it does I'm getting tired of working on
> it,hehe. If it stays below about 205F during the hottest time of the
> year here (now) I think I'll leave it be.'
>
> REPLY: Im on myh other email address -- In case you change your mind,
> its the HyperTech Brand Fan Switch Kit Jegs #533-1014 (on at 176 f/off
> at 166 f) or.... Jegs #533-4028 (on at 200 f/off at 185 f) in the
> TPI/LT1/LS1 section of thier catalogue. Its a screw in Temp Sensor with
> simple wire harness. $46.00 .
>
> Dave

From observation the computer turns on the rad. fans at about 200F off about
190F that second Jegs part # seems to be about stock settings for this car.
The first part # seems a little too cool I'm thinking 166F would be into the
cold mixture mapping when it's running in open loop and ruin this car's
excellent fuel mileage, not to mention carbon up the engine and maybe harm
the cats. I don't know when the computer decides to change from open to
closed loop my old RX-7 went to closed loop only in top gear. And of course
it would need a 160F thermostat.

I think I'll keep an eye on the temps for awhile and see if I want to spend
more time and money on lowering the temps more than I have already. I still
need to diagnose that cat. efficiency trouble code and I barely hear a rear
hub but will eventually need to replace both the rears I'm thinking, the O2
sensors and hubs are higher priorities now I think. And if the trouble code
isn't the O2 sensor mismatch on that side (one old, one new) I'll need to
replace the cat I suppose an expensive repair and one I can't do myself as
all the exhaust is welded together. Where I live they 'sniff test' the cars
I need working cats and no trouble codes to pass the inspections.

Thanks for the website I did look around there and they have some
interesting stuff I'll post if I change my mind on the fan kits,

Butcher
'96 LT-4 CE