Ping : Butcher

Old August 8th 07, 05:37 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dave in Lake Villa

Default Ping : Butcher

Howdy. Did you get your overheating problem solved, or lessened ?? I
see that Texas is approaching the stage of heat only found in Hell !
In addition to the 1970 BB, i also have a 2006 LS2 with a 160 f. stat
installed ; this cooling system is remarkable as when its 98 f. outside
, i can still maintain 176 f. so long as im moving about 35/40 mph in
4th ; and if im going 50 or more in 5th, i can get it down as far as 173
f. In the 2006, i run 25% coolant to 75% distilled water with 1 bottle
of Water Wetter .

Dave

Old August 8th 07, 10:52 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Butcher[_2_]

"Dave in Lake Villa" > wrote in message
> Howdy. Did you get your overheating problem solved, or lessened ?? I
> see that Texas is approaching the stage of heat only found in Hell !
> In addition to the 1970 BB, i also have a 2006 LS2 with a 160 f. stat
> installed ; this cooling system is remarkable as when its 98 f. outside
> , i can still maintain 176 f. so long as im moving about 35/40 mph in
> 4th ; and if im going 50 or more in 5th, i can get it down as far as 173
> f. In the 2006, i run 25% coolant to 75% distilled water with 1 bottle
> of Water Wetter .
>
> Dave

Thanks for asking I was waiting up until yesterday for the radiator hoses
had to order them so I'll be working on the car the next couple days will
let you and everyone know how much the temps come down if at all and what I
did. It's hot now here in TX like it should be in Aug. as hot as it'll get
this year so I have an opportunity to see what really works. In stop and go
traffic it peaks at about 225-227F so I have that as a 'baseline'. Got an
IR thermo and the dash digital output is within 2% the thermo accuracy is
1%.

The car has green antifreeze in it now but I plan on going back to the pink
stuff, the guy at the auto parts store advised that the green in a system
meant for the pink might corrode some of the parts, in the heater core
especially, said the manufacturer changed the solder in the copper joints
for the pink and the green will corrode the solder. Never heard of that one
before but he sounded like he knew what he was talking about said he sells
lots of cores in cars that changed to the green stuff GM trucks especially,
he has a C3 too he's taking an interest in the car I think not just giving
me BS.

I have everything I need now so I'll be out there tomorrow morning working,
until it gets too hot anyway...

Butcher
'96 LT-4 CE

Old August 9th 07, 11:04 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dave in Lake Villa

Ok, let me know if it runs cooler once you get the hose replaced. If
that doesnt do it and youre sure youve got a clean cooling system and
have seals around the radiator/condensor sides...then, id run without
the thermostat in it and see how it operates (at least during the real
hot weather Texas has been having).

By the way, im RVing to the SouthWest starting Nov. 1st and will be
stopping by Austin, Texas to say hi to some friends on my way to Tempe ,
AZ ; are there any 1/4 mile race tracks open and/or big Classic Car
Shows in Nov. ??? Thanks, Dave.

Old August 11th 07, 12:54 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Butcher[_2_]

"Dave in Lake Villa" > wrote in message
> Ok, let me know if it runs cooler once you get the hose replaced. If
> that doesnt do it and youre sure youve got a clean cooling system and
> have seals around the radiator/condensor sides...then, id run without
> the thermostat in it and see how it operates (at least during the real
> hot weather Texas has been having).
>
> By the way, im RVing to the SouthWest starting Nov. 1st and will be
> stopping by Austin, Texas to say hi to some friends on my way to Tempe ,
> AZ ; are there any 1/4 mile race tracks open and/or big Classic Car
> Shows in Nov. ??? Thanks, Dave.

Nov 3 Road Dogs Classic Car Show Great Hills Baptist Church mail
Austin TX US
Nov 3-4 Fall Conroe Swap Meet Montgomery County Fairgrounds mail
Conroe TX US
Nov 10 Pistons and Paint by Chupacabras mail Denton TX US
Nov 10 Reunion Car Show Conroe High School mail Conroe TX US
Nov 10-11 Dry:Off Custom Car Show Texas Ski Ranch mail New Braunfels
TX US
Nov 22-25 Houston Autorama George R Brown Convention Center Houston
TX US

This is what I found for Texas shows in Nov.

"On November 17th, bring your best friend and best ride to help support the
Central Texas SPCA at our 2nd Annual Road Dogs Classic Car Show at Great
Hills Baptist Church, 10500 Jollyville Road, Austin, Texas. There will be
awards for the best cars and trucks in a variety of categories as well as
music, food, and fun for all. Registration is only $20 for those who
pre-register."

This is what I found when clicking on the Nov. 3 link -- the dates aren't
the same I haven't emailed yet to get the right date but in a church parking
lot I doubt it's very big or special. Anyone with more info on Texas shows
or races in Nov. please post.

For the race tracks I go to Texas World Speedway for track days that's a
road racing track, I don't do 1/4 mile so I searched a little on the web,
Houston is having a shootout 3 Nov and there's a couple tracks up in the DFW
area, a track is near Temple too about an hour north of Austin their
schedule doesn't go past Sep maybe they have test 'n tune days in Nov I have
no idea though.
Not much racing around Austin and the one big car show is usually in the
spring. Austin does have a go kart track near the airport (rental karts are
available too) and a small road racing track that's still under construction
I think have no info on that one however.

Still waiting for one molded heater hose and I'm changing spark plugs and
wires and the drive belt and pulleys the car is not quite back together yet
still trying to get one spark plug out, the #8 I can't seem to get to it
enough to turn it with torque enough to break it loose. Don't think taking
the thermostat out is a good idea as it keeps open the bypass port and
probably runs the water too fast through the radiator not giving it time to
cool much. I replaced the thermostat with a new 180F the same as came out.
Hope to be finishing up on it tomorrow (if I figure out how to get that plug
out) so I should have new temp info then.

Butcher
'96 LT-4 CE

Old August 11th 07, 02:10 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"Butcher" > wrote in message
. net...
Snip
> Don't think taking the thermostat out is a good idea as it keeps
> open the bypass port and probably runs the water too fast through
> the radiator not giving it time to cool much. I replaced the
> thermostat with a new 180F the same as came out. Hope to be
> finishing up on it tomorrow (if I figure out how to get that plug
> out) so I should have new temp info then.
>
> Butcher
> '96 LT-4 CE

Not only a bad idea to take out the thermostat but a known fact that
you will run hotter. Anyone that is forced to do that has run a washer
in its place for restriction to keep it from boiling out the coolant.
Good call.........

Old August 11th 07, 01:20 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dave in Lake Villa

Don't think taking the thermostat out is a good idea as it keeps open
the bypass port and probably runs the water too fast through the
radiator not giving it time to cool much. I replaced the thermostat with
a new 180F the same as came out. Hope to be finishing up on it tomorrow
(if I figure out how to get that plug out) so I should have new temp
info then.
Butcher
'96 LT-4 CE

"Not only a bad idea to take out the thermostat but a known fact that
you will run hotter. Anyone that is forced to do that has run a washer
in its place for restriction to keep it from boiling out the coolant.
Good call........."

REPLY: Didnt work that way on my 1970 BB ; I took the thermostat out ,
temporarily, and it ran much cooler around town and 160 f. on the
highway. The engine in a 1996 may have different results.

Old August 11th 07, 01:22 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dave in Lake Villa

[...]

REPLY: Thanks very much for the events. Ill catch some of them but wont
be in the Austin area till end of Nov. Have a few stops along the way
from Illinois . Dave

Old August 11th 07, 03:41 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Bob I

Sounds like water wetter is a waste of time. In 110 degree air temps,
our 2003 runs 194 with the stock thermostat and a 50/50 antifreeze mix.

Old August 11th 07, 11:26 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Butcher[_2_]

"Bob I" > wrote in message
> Sounds like water wetter is a waste of time. In 110 degree air temps, our
> 2003 runs 194 with the stock thermostat and a 50/50 antifreeze mix.
>
> Dave in Lake Villa wrote:
>> Howdy. Did you get your overheating problem solved, or lessened ?? I
>> see that Texas is approaching the stage of heat only found in Hell !
>> In addition to the 1970 BB, i also have a 2006 LS2 with a 160 f. stat
>> installed ; this cooling system is remarkable as when its 98 f. outside
>> , i can still maintain 176 f. so long as im moving about 35/40 mph in
>> 4th ; and if im going 50 or more in 5th, i can get it down as far as 173
>> f. In the 2006, i run 25% coolant to 75% distilled water with 1 bottle
>> of Water Wetter .
>>
>> Dave

Done finally with the spark plugs that # 8 was a *itch, #6 is not much fun
either... I think it had the original plugs in it, 140K miles and they still
looked pretty good. New wires, serpentine belt and pulleys too.

Okay the drum roll please -- temps top at 203F in traffic now, a good 25F
cooler than it was. I'm surprised it when down that far, from 228F here's
what I did:

flushed system with Zerex Super Flush,
flushed until clear and drained everything I could,
replaced all hoses,
replaced thermostat (180F stock AC Delco),
used aluminum duct tape to close all leaks around the rad. cover, including
around the hose outlets and the condenser piping,
filled with a 25% mix of Dex-Cool and distilled water
added one bottle Water Wetter

idle is smoother now with the new plugs and wires, just bought the car a
month ago have changed all the fluids, lubed everything I can think of,
checked brake pads (has new tranny and clutch), I think I'm finally running
out of things to do on it now, maybe a couple more O2 sensors to freshen
them up (already replaced two) that's all I can think of. Buying a high
mileage car can be a bad experience but I think I've lucked out here
suspension and body is tight, drive train has no play engine is in great
condition interior looks like it has half the mileage.

I do hear a rear hub (right one maybe?) though just a little sound goes away
in left turns, is there in right turns maybe I should prepare for changing
them out? I think I have some time the noise isn't noticeable unless you're
listening for it. Any 'special tools' needed? I only have a Haynes manual
now it sucks... looking for a factory set on Ebay.

Thanks all for the cooling system advice the help and all my work paid off
well,

Butcher
'96 LT-4 CE

Old August 12th 07, 03:58 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
CardsFan

"Butcher" > wrote in message

> "Bob I" > wrote in message
>> Sounds like water wetter is a waste of time. In 110 degree air temps, our
>> 2003 runs 194 with the stock thermostat and a 50/50 antifreeze mix.
>>
>> Dave in Lake Villa wrote:
>>> Howdy. Did you get your overheating problem solved, or lessened ?? I
>>> see that Texas is approaching the stage of heat only found in Hell !
>>> In addition to the 1970 BB, i also have a 2006 LS2 with a 160 f. stat
>>> installed ; this cooling system is remarkable as when its 98 f. outside
>>> , i can still maintain 176 f. so long as im moving about 35/40 mph in
>>> 4th ; and if im going 50 or more in 5th, i can get it down as far as 173
>>> f. In the 2006, i run 25% coolant to 75% distilled water with 1 bottle
>>> of Water Wetter .
>>>
>>> Dave
>>>

> Done finally with the spark plugs that # 8 was a *itch, #6 is not much fun
> either... I think it had the original plugs in it, 140K miles and they
> still looked pretty good. New wires, serpentine belt and pulleys too.
>
> Okay the drum roll please -- temps top at 203F in traffic now, a good 25F
> cooler than it was. I'm surprised it when down that far, from 228F here's
> what I did:
>
> flushed system with Zerex Super Flush,
> flushed until clear and drained everything I could,
> replaced all hoses,
> replaced thermostat (180F stock AC Delco),
> used aluminum duct tape to close all leaks around the rad. cover,
> including around the hose outlets and the condenser piping,
> filled with a 25% mix of Dex-Cool and distilled water
> added one bottle Water Wetter
>
> idle is smoother now with the new plugs and wires, just bought the car a
> month ago have changed all the fluids, lubed everything I can think of,
> checked brake pads (has new tranny and clutch), I think I'm finally
> running out of things to do on it now, maybe a couple more O2 sensors to
> freshen them up (already replaced two) that's all I can think of. Buying
> a high mileage car can be a bad experience but I think I've lucked out
> here suspension and body is tight, drive train has no play engine is in
> great condition interior looks like it has half the mileage.
>
> I do hear a rear hub (right one maybe?) though just a little sound goes
> away in left turns, is there in right turns maybe I should prepare for
> changing them out? I think I have some time the noise isn't noticeable
> unless you're listening for it. Any 'special tools' needed? I only have
> a Haynes manual now it sucks... looking for a factory set on Ebay.

It took losing several auctions to get a set of factory service manuals for
the '93. I was kind of stuck on paying no more than $75 for the pair.
Finally saw a "Buy it now" for $79 and jumped on it. With shipping, under
$100 and they were in very good condition. From experience since then,
they're indispensable.

Best of luck getting yours.

AJM
'93 Ruby coupe, 6 sp (both tops)