backfiring

Old May 3rd 05, 01:19 AM

Default backfiring

I have this problem that's been the plague of my '65 Stang for the last
several months. Ever since a damn-near complete overhaul of the top-end
(after a bout with piston slap) I've had this crazy repetitive clacking
sound coming from the passenger-side lifters.. and particularly in the last
few months there's been a problem with backfiring whenever I accelerate.
Apart from a replacement set of lifters, could there be any alternatives?

Old May 3rd 05, 01:31 AM

Lifter noise is due to lifters out of adjustment, on the too loose
side. Backfiring, if it's lifter related -- which it rarely is (it's
usually timing) -- is due to lifters too tight. So these problems
could be completely unrelated.

Valvetrain noise can also be due to bad geometry and other interference
problems.

Anyway, before going too far down the road of worthless Internet
speculation/advice, what engine is this? Is the cam hydraulic or
mechinical?

180 Out

Old May 3rd 05, 04:26 AM
Kruse

> Anyway, before going too far down the road of worthless Internet
> speculation/advice, what engine is this? Is the cam hydraulic or
> mechinical?
>
> 180 Out

I'm going to take a wild, wild, guess as to what he owns. (Only because
I used to own one)
Is it the (drum roll please)...... 170 or 200 six cyl? They seemed to
burn intake valves.

Old May 3rd 05, 08:21 PM
GEB

"Kruse" wrote in message:

> I'm going to take a wild, wild, guess as to what he owns. (Only because
> I used to own one)
> Is it the (drum roll please)...... 170 or 200 six cyl? They seemed to
> burn intake valves.

Did you miss the part about the noise coming from the passenger side
lifters? More than likely it's a 289, maybe a 260.

His problem could be multiple things. First thing I'd check is that the
distributor was installed correctly, and that the timing is set properly. If
that was ok, next thing I would check would be to insure the rocker arm
studs are not pulling out. Then re-adjust the valves with the motor warm.
Only other thing that could be causing this, is possibly the timing chain
sprockets weren't properly aligned when installed.

--
Gary

Drag Racers live by the code set down years ago:
"If some is good, more is better, and too much is just right".