Meguiars spray on wax ??

Old December 12th 06, 01:16 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
eslurf

Default Meguiars spray on wax ??

is it any good ?
anyone use it ?

I have swirl marks when i look at my car (77' vette, black) in the
sunlight.
It makes me wince...

just thought I'd try some of this and wanted to know if anyone has used
it yet.

thanks
AP

Old December 12th 06, 04:06 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
L DaVinci

Meguiar's has many great products. Personally, I'm using the liquid
NXT for my base 'wax'.

But, you need to get rid of the swirl marks before you apply any wax.
You might want to invest in a polisher that they sell rather than do
it all by hand.

Check out their forum for more help and tips:
http://www.meguiarsonline.com/

Old December 12th 06, 05:51 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
No Vette Yet

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 23:06:29 -0500, L DaVinci >
wrote:

>Meguiar's has many great products. Personally, I'm using the liquid
>NXT for my base 'wax'.
>
>But, you need to get rid of the swirl marks before you apply any wax.
>You might want to invest in a polisher that they sell rather than do
>it all by hand.
>
>Check out their forum for more help and tips:
>http://www.meguiarsonline.com/
>
>On 11 Dec 2006 17:16:26 -0800, "eslurf" > wrote:
>
>>is it any good ?
>>anyone use it ?
>>
>>I have swirl marks when i look at my car (77' vette, black) in the
>>sunlight.
>>It makes me wince...
>>
>>just thought I'd try some of this and wanted to know if anyone has used
>>it yet.
>>
>>thanks
>>AP

Ok, here is my secret recipe for washing my car. Don't tell anyone
<grin> but I developed it about 4 years ago after piecing together
what I read on the net. I only wish I thought of it sooner. It will
probably make your car need a lot less wax (but I'd still wax). I
can't give you exact quantities but I don't think too much will hurt
the car finish.

I use a decent car wash soap (ie: Meguiars is fine), vinegar (guessing
about 1/2 cup) and "Jetdry" (4 or 5 squirts) into a bucket of water
and wash.

Note: where I live, the water is very hard; I don't know if vinegar
and Jetdry need to be both used but I do it and am very satisfied with
results.

Then I use the same minus the soap into a garden sprayer (less vinegar
and less Jetdry mixed with water in attachment) attached to my water
hose to rinse the car. Then I dry it with decent cotton rags (tho by
this time it needs little).

The result is my newer cars (3 of them, oldest is about 3.5 years old
and isn't garaged ever and we have HOT summers) need less waxing and
the wax goes on / off easier. They shine as nearly as when they left
the dealer. And the water just seems to stay repelled off the paint
finish even to this day. And I looked real hard in the sun at the 3.5
year old car (solid white color) and I can barely see a water spot
anyway nor swirl marks from waxing.

Good Luck.

ps-- I'm no expert on car products but I do like Meguiar products. I
won't say they are the best but I would say they are very good. And I
have 2 polishers (I think a 9" and 6") and I'd recommend the 6" first
(less weight and easier to deal with around rounded shapes) but the 9"
is probably better for flat hoods, trunk lids over larger flat areas
but the 6" can still do it fine (maybe just take a little longer).
Old December 12th 06, 06:40 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Andy

Take a look at Mothers brand. They have a great detail PDF on thier
website.
Old December 12th 06, 06:57 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

<No Vette Yet> wrote in message
> On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 23:06:29 -0500, L DaVinci >
> wrote:
>
>>Meguiar's has many great products. Personally, I'm using the liquid
>>NXT for my base 'wax'.
>>
>>But, you need to get rid of the swirl marks before you apply any wax.
>>You might want to invest in a polisher that they sell rather than do
>>it all by hand.
>>
>>Check out their forum for more help and tips:
>>http://www.meguiarsonline.com/
>>
>>On 11 Dec 2006 17:16:26 -0800, "eslurf" > wrote:
>>
>>>is it any good ?
>>>anyone use it ?
>>>
>>>I have swirl marks when i look at my car (77' vette, black) in the
>>>sunlight.
>>>It makes me wince...
>>>
>>>just thought I'd try some of this and wanted to know if anyone has used
>>>it yet.

Good luck, unless you're very lucky that will not remove the swirl marks, it
will only re-arrange them. First off you need a buffer, not a polisher, with the
correct pad (s). Second if you don't know which finishing compound to use such
as 3M you are headed for a problem. Talk to the local automotive paint supplier
to find out how to do it correctly.

>>>thanks
>>>AP

> Ok, here is my secret recipe for washing my car. Don't tell anyone
> <grin> but I developed it about 4 years ago after piecing together
> what I read on the net. I only wish I thought of it sooner. It will
> probably make your car need a lot less wax (but I'd still wax). I
> can't give you exact quantities but I don't think too much will hurt
> the car finish.
>
> I use a decent car wash soap (ie: Meguiars is fine), vinegar (guessing
> about 1/2 cup) and "Jetdry" (4 or 5 squirts) into a bucket of water
> and wash.
>
> Note: where I live, the water is very hard; I don't know if vinegar
> and Jetdry need to be both used but I do it and am very satisfied with
> results.
>
> Then I use the same minus the soap into a garden sprayer (less vinegar
> and less Jetdry mixed with water in attachment) attached to my water
> hose to rinse the car.

One comment, when you rinse the car do it with an open hose and flood the water
over the entire surface. It will sheet off and leave less water to wipe off. In
other words, don't spray rinse.

Old December 12th 06, 07:35 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
No Vette Yet

On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 13:57:30 -0500, "Dad" > wrote:

><No Vette Yet> wrote in message
.. .
>> On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 23:06:29 -0500, L DaVinci >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Meguiar's has many great products. Personally, I'm using the liquid
>>>NXT for my base 'wax'.
>>>
>>>But, you need to get rid of the swirl marks before you apply any wax.
>>>You might want to invest in a polisher that they sell rather than do
>>>it all by hand.
>>>
>>>Check out their forum for more help and tips:
>>>http://www.meguiarsonline.com/

>Good luck, unless you're very lucky that will not remove the swirl marks, it
>will only re-arrange them. First off you need a buffer, not a polisher, with the
>correct pad (s). Second if you don't know which finishing compound to use such
>as 3M you are headed for a problem. Talk to the local automotive paint supplier
>to find out how to do it correctly.

>> Ok, here is my secret recipe for washing my car. Don't tell anyone
>> <grin> but I developed it about 4 years ago after piecing together
>> what I read on the net. I only wish I thought of it sooner. It will
>> probably make your car need a lot less wax (but I'd still wax). I
>> can't give you exact quantities but I don't think too much will hurt
>> the car finish.
>>
>> I use a decent car wash soap (ie: Meguiars is fine), vinegar (guessing
>> about 1/2 cup) and "Jetdry" (4 or 5 squirts) into a bucket of water
>> and wash.
>>
>> Note: where I live, the water is very hard; I don't know if vinegar
>> and Jetdry need to be both used but I do it and am very satisfied with
>> results.
>>
>> Then I use the same minus the soap into a garden sprayer (less vinegar
>> and less Jetdry mixed with water in attachment) attached to my water
>> hose to rinse the car.

>One comment, when you rinse the car do it with an open hose and flood the water
>over the entire surface. It will sheet off and leave less water to wipe off. In
>other words, don't spray rinse.

Dad, your way is much easier but I'm hesitant to do this because of
the "hard" water we have here. I'm trying NOT to have the hard water
touch my car so I try to always dilute my hard water before it touches
my car whether it's the soap application or the rinse.

Perhaps your way is fine if you don't have very much hard water???
Back when I lived in NY, there was no need to use this special
solution... just car wash soap and garden hose water did well. Of
course, I still waxed then.
Old December 12th 06, 07:39 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
No Vette Yet

> [...]

>> and isn't garaged ever and we have HOT summers) need less waxing and
>> the wax goes on / off easier. They shine as nearly as when they left
>> the dealer. And the water just seems to stay repelled off the paint
>> finish even to this day. And I looked real hard in the sun at the 3.5
>> year old car (solid white color) and I can barely see a water spot
>> anyway nor swirl marks from waxing.
>>
>> Good Luck.
>>
>> ps-- I'm no expert on car products but I do like Meguiar products. I
>> won't say they are the best but I would say they are very good. And I
>> have 2 polishers (I think a 9" and 6") and I'd recommend the 6" first
>> (less weight and easier to deal with around rounded shapes) but the 9"
>> is probably better for flat hoods, trunk lids over larger flat areas
>> but the 6" can still do it fine (maybe just take a little longer).

Incidentally, you are correct and I was mistaken. In my first post I
mentioned about a 9" and 6" polisher but I should have said buffer!!
And mine are electric and seem fine but I think (??) the pros use air
powered.

Thank you Dad !!
Old December 12th 06, 07:54 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

<No Vette Yet> wrote in message
> On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 13:57:30 -0500, "Dad" > wrote:
>>> Then I use the same minus the soap into a garden sprayer (less vinegar
>>> and less Jetdry mixed with water in attachment) attached to my water
>>> hose to rinse the car.

>>One comment, when you rinse the car do it with an open hose and flood the
>>water
>>over the entire surface. It will sheet off and leave less water to wipe off.
>>In
>>other words, don't spray rinse.
>>

> Dad, your way is much easier but I'm hesitant to do this because of
> the "hard" water we have here. I'm trying NOT to have the hard water
> touch my car so I try to always dilute my hard water before it touches
> my car whether it's the soap application or the rinse.
>
> Perhaps your way is fine if you don't have very much hard water???
> Back when I lived in NY, there was no need to use this special
> solution... just car wash soap and garden hose water did well. Of
> course, I still waxed then.

Doesn't matter, hard or soft, it will sheet off by flooding versus spraying.

Old December 12th 06, 11:18 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
No Vette Yet

On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 14:54:07 -0500, "Dad" > wrote:

><No Vette Yet> wrote in message
.. .

>>>One comment, when you rinse the car do it with an open hose and flood the
>>>water
>>>over the entire surface. It will sheet off and leave less water to wipe off.
>>>In
>>>other words, don't spray rinse.
>>>

>> Dad, your way is much easier but I'm hesitant to do this because of
>> the "hard" water we have here. I'm trying NOT to have the hard water
>> touch my car so I try to always dilute my hard water before it touches
>> my car whether it's the soap application or the rinse.
>>
>> Perhaps your way is fine if you don't have very much hard water???
>> Back when I lived in NY, there was no need to use this special
>> solution... just car wash soap and garden hose water did well. Of
>> course, I still waxed then.

>Doesn't matter, hard or soft, it will sheet off by flooding versus spraying.

The way I spray, it does flood it <grin> and then runs off as you
said. I won't take the chance of the hard water even touching my
newer cars and you can bet when and if I do buy a vette, it will be
the same way.

And in case anyone asks, no I don't bring my cars to car washes ... in
fact the last time I did was about 27 years ago and I almost lost my
antenna (when they were a stand alone mast).
Old December 13th 06, 02:13 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

<No Vette Yet> wrote in message

>>Doesn't matter, hard or soft, it will sheet off by flooding versus spraying.
>>

> The way I spray, it does flood it <grin> and then runs off as you
> said. I won't take the chance of the hard water even touching my
> newer cars and you can bet when and if I do buy a vette, it will be
> the same way.
>
> And in case anyone asks, no I don't bring my cars to car washes ... in
> fact the last time I did was about 27 years ago and I almost lost my
> antenna (when they were a stand alone mast).

Spray does not sheet off, run off, yes, but do it your way. No need to just try
it once and see what it does. Not to long ago I had a black Seville, a black C5
and the black '72, when I washed all 3 on a warm day it was easy to sheet the
water off and not get streaks. Oh, by the way, all I use is Dawn dish soap.