69 Vette Engine Noise

Old January 25th 06, 04:46 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Default 69 Vette Engine Noise

My 350/350 engine was rebuilt about 25,000 miles ago. The car runs well
without any loss of power. However, there is a slight tapping noise
coming from the engine. I've been told by several mechanics that the
noise is probably not serious. I've also been told by one or two people
that with 25,000 miles on the rebuilt engine, it should not be making
any noise. And I've been told that the kind of noise coming from my
engine is common.

At any rate, I'm not prepared to have the engine rebuilt again at this
point. Has anyone else had this engine problem? What are some things I,
or a mechanic, can do to try to eliminate the noise?

Thanks,
Charles

Old January 25th 06, 05:28 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette

I take it that it is a new sound that has recently appeared. It really
depends on where the sound is coming from. If several mechanics have told
you that the noise is not serious then they are probably right. Put a can
of STP in it and see if the noise goes away. Due to normal engine wear, you
may have to go with a thicker oil.

Old January 25th 06, 07:16 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette

In article . com>,
"Charles Halliman" > wrote:

> At any rate, I'm not prepared to have the engine rebuilt again at this
> point. Has anyone else had this engine problem? What are some things I,
> or a mechanic, can do to try to eliminate the noise?

I agree with those one or two others who told you there shouldn't be any
off-noises in a 25,000 mile engine.

With a little snooping, are you sure it's coming from inside the engine
and not an accessory?

If internal, I think the first thing I would investigate is valve lash.
It's a pretty simple job - especially with hydraulic lifters that I
believe your engine has. Cost would be about an hour of shop time plus
valve cover gaskets.

Charles, when does the tapping occur?
Is it a higher ticking sound or a lower tone?
Occur when cold? - Does it go away when warm?
Does it come and go randomly?
What if you hold the brake while the car is in gear and try to
accelerate against the brakes? - Does it get worse? Louder? Turn into a
heavy knocking sound?
Have you bottomed out the front end lately? It could be a cracked
exhaust manifold that's leaking the exhaust valve sounds - look around
to see if there are any cracks in the cast iron.

Just some ideas and questions to try to narrow the possibilities.

Here's waving to ya - \||||

Owen
___

'67BB & '72BB

-- not affiliated with JLA forum in any way -- alt.autos.corvette is
original posting --
___

"To know the world intimately is the beginning of caring."
-- Ann Hayman Zwinger
Old January 25th 06, 08:26 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Most times the noise comes from the fuel pump pushrod slack. Get a
long screwdriver or stick and place it on top of the fuel pump while
engine is idleing then place other end against your ear and listen.

I've had two small blocks that did this. Both had been rebuilt and
thick gaskets used on pump and adapter plate. Doesn't take much to
create a gap at pushrod.

PDeen

Old January 25th 06, 08:51 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

"PDDeen" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Most times the noise comes from the fuel pump pushrod slack. Get a
> long screwdriver or stick and place it on top of the fuel pump while
> engine is idleing then place other end against your ear and listen.
>
> I've had two small blocks that did this. Both had been rebuilt and
> thick gaskets used on pump and adapter plate. Doesn't take much to
> create a gap at pushrod.
>
> PDeen

Not trying to diagnose the noise but use the shaft of a golf club that
lost its head to listen. With the broken end on the engine you have a
soft handle to put your ear on. The thin tube amplifies the sound so
it can be pin pointed very close. Check the front and back bearing on
your alternator and you will be amazed how much different the bearings
sound. No, the horrible sound you hear is not a bad bearing. Well it
could be, I don't know your car that well.

I'm with you, don't over look the push rod on the fuel pump, chances
are that was not replaced at rebuild.

My lawyer says that if you hurt yourself with a pointy stick or golf
club, it is your reasonability.

--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

Old January 25th 06, 09:09 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

> Not trying to diagnose the noise but use the shaft of a golf club that
> lost its head to listen. My lawyer says that if you hurt yourself with a
> pointy stick or golf club, it is your reasonability.
>
> --
> Dad

you want to tell us why you have broken golf clubs laying around ? ,
not to mention how you know about hurting yourself with the pointy end

kickstart

Old January 25th 06, 10:28 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

"Kickstart" > wrote in message
news

>> Not trying to diagnose the noise but use the shaft of a golf club
>> that lost its head to listen. My lawyer says that if you hurt
>> yourself with a pointy stick or golf club, it is your
>> reasonability.
>>
>> --
>> Dad

> you want to tell us why you have broken golf clubs laying around ? ,
> not to mention how you know about hurting yourself with the pointy
> end
>
> kickstart
The head broke off when I set the worlds record for the longest drive.
I never hunt myself on it but Daly got suicidal after I out drove him
by more than 163 1/3%, or was it less than that?

Oops, that's not me, I don't play golf. Seems strange to hit something
as hard as you can and then repeatedly go look for it. Sounds like
insanity to me.

--
IMPORTANT: This email is intended for the use of the individual
addressee(s) named above and may contain information that is

Unless the word absquatulation has been used in its correct context
somewhere other than in this warning, it does not have any legal or
grammatical use and may be ignored. No animals were harmed in the
transmission of this email, although the kelpie next door is living on
borrowed time, let me tell you.

Old January 25th 06, 10:36 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Kickstart wrote:
>> Not trying to diagnose the noise but use the shaft of a golf club that
>> lost its head to listen. My lawyer says that if you hurt yourself with a
>> pointy stick or golf club, it is your reasonability.
>>
>> --
>> Dad

> you want to tell us why you have broken golf clubs laying around ? ,
> not to mention how you know about hurting yourself with the pointy end
>

> kickstart

Thanks to Dad for the club shaft suggestion -- sounds far superior to
the screwdriver/stethescope game -- less bending of the aching back.
I've got an old Hogan 4-wood with a loose head. Should have the tool
built within the next 10 minutes.
--
…PJ
’89 HookerCar, ’02 E-blu 6-spd Coupe
Old January 26th 06, 04:35 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Thanks for that great idea Dad!
And the fact that the hollow shaft gets bigger toward the ear will
amplify the sound as well.

Dad wrote:
"put golf club to ear"

--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler

http://www.pcola.gulf.net/~ricseyler
remove –SPAM- from email address
--------------------------------------
"Homer no function beer well without."
- H.J. Simpson

Old January 26th 06, 04:57 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

"RicSeyler" > wrote in message
> Thanks for that great idea Dad!
> And the fact that the hollow shaft gets bigger toward the ear will
> amplify the sound as well.
>
> Dad wrote:
> "put golf club to ear"

OMG, I never thought about Ric loose with something longer that 3
inches. We should put out a caution to Flo-duh people to be on the
lookout for a strange man with a long thingy in his hand.
--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51