1949 Plymouth Convertible - Woodluxe Special - fvl

Old July 7th 08, 06:11 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos
Paddy's Pig[_2_] Paddy's Pig[_2_] is offline
Banned

Default 1949 Plymouth Convertible - Woodluxe Special - fvl

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1949 Plymouth Convertible - Woodluxe Special - fvl.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	502.0 KB
ID:	145664
Old July 8th 08, 05:31 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos
Larmcd

Default 1949 Plymouth Convertible 49 or 50 ?

Nice 50 Plymouth with 49 bumpers! Actually very difficult to determine. It
is a 1950 grill, 49 bumpers, looks like 50 rear fenders but the taillights
are from neither. Nothing about the dash or seats help in determining.

Old July 8th 08, 05:51 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos
Paddy's Pig[_2_] Paddy's Pig[_2_] is offline
Banned

"larmcd" > wrote in message
. ..

> Nice 50 Plymouth with 49 bumpers! Actually very difficult to determine.
> It is a 1950 grill, 49 bumpers, looks like 50 rear fenders but the
> taillights are from neither. Nothing about the dash or seats help in
> determining.

Regardless of its parts the owner states it is a 1949 base model and it is
registered accordingly.
--
Pat Durkin

Old July 8th 08, 11:54 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos
Roadsign[_5_]

On Mon, 7 Jul 2008 21:51:39 -0700, "Paddy's Pig" >
wrote:

>"larmcd" > wrote in message
>
>> Nice 50 Plymouth with 49 bumpers! Actually very difficult to determine.
>> It is a 1950 grill, 49 bumpers, looks like 50 rear fenders but the
>> taillights are from neither. Nothing about the dash or seats help in
>> determining.

>Regardless of its parts the owner states it is a 1949 base model and it is
>registered accordingly.

So what really determines the "year" of the car? Is it what the owner
says it is or is it the "VIN" number or equivalent? I would think the
"VIN" number would be the determining factor. Ideas? Opinions?
Old July 8th 08, 03:11 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos
HEMI-Powered[_3_]

Roadsign added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

>>> Nice 50 Plymouth with 49 bumpers! Actually very difficult to
>>> determine. It is a 1950 grill, 49 bumpers, looks like 50 rear
>>> fenders but the taillights are from neither. Nothing about the
>>> dash or seats help in determining.

>>Regardless of its parts the owner states it is a 1949 base model and
>>it is registered accordingly.

> So what really determines the "year" of the car? Is it what the
> owner says it is or is it the "VIN" number or equivalent? I would
> think the "VIN" number would be the determining factor. Ideas?
> Opinions?

the manufacturer determines the model year of a car regardless of it's
year of manufacture or it's first year of
registration/titling/licensing. DMVs take their cue from the
manufacturer only. today it is the VIN but in 1949 there wasn't one in
today's sense.

--
HP, aka Jerry

"If it waddles like a duck and quacks like a duck, it must be a duck"

Old July 8th 08, 04:55 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos
Paddy's Pig[_2_] Paddy's Pig[_2_] is offline
Banned

"John Bradley" > wrote in message
rlakestechnologygroup...

> To wit: there is no pat (oooo, Peter C will like that one) answer.

Awwww Man! John --- John, John, John.

Shame on you. )
--
Pat Durkin (groan)

Old July 8th 08, 05:17 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos
Paddy's Pig[_2_] Paddy's Pig[_2_] is offline
Banned

"John Bradley" > wrote in message
rlakestechnologygroup...

> To wit: there is no pat (oooo, Peter C will like that one) answer.

Four decades ago when my daughter Shelley was just a little kid we went to a
friends' wedding.

After we arrived at the church we stood in line behind several people
including a pair of nuns to sign the register.

As we got closer to the book my precocious daughter was anxious to sign in
for us. "Can I sign it daddy, please daddy, please?"

And I told her "Wait 'til the nun signs Shelley".
--
Pat Durkin

Old July 8th 08, 05:44 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos
John Bradley

There was no formal VIN numbering system until the Vehicle Equipment Safety
Commission was formed in ca. 1956 (VESC V-15 "Minimum Requirements for the
Design of a Vehicle Identification Number System for Passenger Cars" - now
FMVSS 115, and V-18 "Standardized Replacement Vehicle Identification Number
System" - now FMVSS 565), concurrently, SAE got involved and things got
confused. Once NHTSA was formed, in 1968 they took over VINs for on-road
vehicles (see: VESC v. NHTSA, 1979) and SAE kept off-road VINs until that
got screwed-up, too.

But for 1949-50 (the Time Before VINs Were Formalized), it would have been
up to the local DMV to determine 'year' - sometimes by title but more often
by Bill of Sale. Now VIN determines the 'year' (c.f. 1969/70 Camaro).

To wit: there is no pat (oooo, Peter C will like that one) answer.
john

--
Vote for Ponzi - the US economy depends on him!
"Roadsign" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 7 Jul 2008 21:51:39 -0700, "Paddy's Pig" >
> wrote:

m...

Old July 8th 08, 06:08 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos

)

Old July 8th 08, 07:00 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos
John Bradley

Well, PeterC doesn't come around much anymore, so somebody has to have some
pun.