help, need kickdown rod 289, 1966

Old April 10th 07, 11:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Jan

Default help, need kickdown rod 289, 1966

Just found out today that I have no kickdown rod!

I don't even know what one looks like.

The engine is a 289, with an auto tranny. Year of car is 1966, not sure
what all is original, but the engine is not.

What I need is the horizontal linkage bar that connects the throttle
lever thingamabob to the small lever on the side of the transmission.

I feel so lost. Need a tranny manual or something.

Jan
Central Florida
Old April 11th 07, 02:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Jan

Jan wrote:
> Just found out today that I have no kickdown rod!
>
> I don't even know what one looks like.
>
> The engine is a 289, with an auto tranny. Year of car is 1966, not sure
> what all is original, but the engine is not.
>
> What I need is the horizontal linkage bar that connects the throttle
> lever thingamabob to the small lever on the side of the transmission.
>
> I feel so lost. Need a tranny manual or something.
>

> Jan
> Central Florida

Oh yea, a picture and critical dimensions would help too, I can make my
own.

Jan
Old April 11th 07, 03:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
elaich

Jan > wrote in news:582iv0F2ehg75U1
@mid.individual.net:

> The engine is a 289, with an auto tranny. Year of car is 1966, not sure
> what all is original, but the engine is not.
>
> What I need is the horizontal linkage bar that connects the throttle
> lever thingamabob to the small lever on the side of the transmission.

You should be able to use one from any 302/C4 combination. Should be
thousands of them around in junkyards.

--
A: Because it disturbs the logical flow of the message.
Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?
Old April 11th 07, 04:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
walt peifer

"elaich" > wrote in message ...
> Jan > wrote in news:582iv0F2ehg75U1
> @mid.individual.net:
>
>> The engine is a 289, with an auto tranny. Year of car is 1966, not sure
>> what all is original, but the engine is not.
>>
>> What I need is the horizontal linkage bar that connects the throttle
>> lever thingamabob to the small lever on the side of the transmission.

> You should be able to use one from any 302/C4 combination. Should be
> thousands of them around in junkyards.
>
> --
> A: Because it disturbs the logical flow of the message.
> Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?

the 66 style switched from the dual rod design of the pre 65 cars. you
should have a small extension from the bellcrank (rod that goes through the
firewall) extending almost straight down. This is attached to the kickdown
paw with a small cable, not a rod.
http://www.gerlecreek.com/images/65-66mustaccellink.jpg

the upper pic is typical 66 and up the lower is the two rod system for 65
and back

Old April 11th 07, 08:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Spike

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 18:53:38 -0400, Jan >
wrote:

>Just found out today that I have no kickdown rod!
>
>I don't even know what one looks like.
>
>The engine is a 289, with an auto tranny. Year of car is 1966, not sure
>what all is original, but the engine is not.
>
>What I need is the horizontal linkage bar that connects the throttle
>lever thingamabob to the small lever on the side of the transmission.
>
>I feel so lost. Need a tranny manual or something.
>

>Jan
>Central Florida

You might check any of the primary vendor catalogs (hard copies or
online) or just about any site which carried C4 transmission parts
whether you buy or just learn what it looks like.
Old April 12th 07, 12:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox

elaich wrote:

> --
> A: Because it disturbs the logical flow of the message.
> Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?

ROFL!!
Old April 12th 07, 01:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Jan

:

>>>The engine is a 289, with an auto tranny. Year of car is 1966, not sure
>>>what all is original, but the engine is not.
>>>
>>>What I need is the horizontal linkage bar that connects the throttle
>>>lever thingamabob to the small lever on the side of the transmission.

>>You should be able to use one from any 302/C4 combination. Should be
>>thousands of them around in junkyards.
>>
>>--
>>A: Because it disturbs the logical flow of the message.
>>Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?

> the 66 style switched from the dual rod design of the pre 65 cars. you
> should have a small extension from the bellcrank (rod that goes through the
> firewall) extending almost straight down. This is attached to the kickdown
> paw with a small cable, not a rod.
> http://www.gerlecreek.com/images/65-66mustaccellink.jpg
>
> the upper pic is typical 66 and up the lower is the two rod system for 65
> and back

I have the upper type with the 7A372 lever.

I also got an email from someone here that pointed me towards a place
where I can order a brand new cable. Woohoo!

Thank you all who replied. Now I know what I need.

Jan
Old April 12th 07, 01:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Jan

WindsorFox wrote:
> elaich wrote:
>

> > --
> > A: Because it disturbs the logical flow of the message.
> > Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?

> ROFL!!

FWIW, I agree with that statement.

But if the first person to reply chose top posting, I will continue top
posting after him.

It will make no sense if you do both

You can't please everyone.

Jan
Old April 12th 07, 03:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
elaich

WindsorFox > wrote in news:s0eTh.439424$Ju2.177260
@newsfe16.lga:

> elaich wrote:
>>

> > --
> > A: Because it disturbs the logical flow of the message.
> > Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?

> ROFL!!

I have a better one, but don't use it for reasons of taste:

"Posting at the top because that's where the cursor happened to be is like
sitting in your pants because that's where your asshole happened to be."

--
A: Because it disturbs the logical flow of the message.
Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?
Old April 12th 07, 01:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox[_1_]

elaich wrote:
> WindsorFox > wrote in news:s0eTh.439424$Ju2.177260
> @newsfe16.lga:
>
>> elaich wrote:
>>>
>>> --
>>> A: Because it disturbs the logical flow of the message.
>>> Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?

>> ROFL!!

> I have a better one, but don't use it for reasons of taste:
>
> "Posting at the top because that's where the cursor happened to be is like
> sitting in your pants because that's where your asshole happened to be."

I dare you to email that to Kate....

--
And if a cow had wheels,
it would be a milk truck. - Steve Linford

1966 Ford Mustang 3/13/2007 - 1966 Ford Mustang front view.JPG (1/1) Blue Oval/Dan Edwards Auto Photos 3 March 14th 07 03:59 PM
1966 Ford Mustang 3/13/2007 - 1966 Ford Mustang fvr.JPG (1/1) Blue Oval/Dan Edwards Auto Photos 0 March 14th 07 03:34 AM
Remember when we posted this kind of material? REPOSTS : 1966 AMC Rogue Concept Clay Model + 1966 Ford Mustang Coupe.JPG (1/1) 75643 bytes ThomasS[_2_] Auto Photos 0 December 10th 06 04:37 AM
1990 735i kickdown switch oldmech BMW 0 February 5th 06 09:05 PM
Is there an intermediate kickdown in overdrive in '89 Cressida? Doc Technology 6 November 24th 05 04:41 AM