Off topic car question

Old June 10th 06, 02:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default Off topic car question

Any of you know wheather Suzuki or some other foreign maker , made a small
V8 and if so what model car was it in?
I am building a 3/4 size Ford 32 Duce Roadster and looking for a small
powerplant for it.

Thanks, Mike

Chopped 66 Bug

Old June 10th 06, 03:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Mike West wrote:
> Any of you know wheather Suzuki or some other foreign maker , made a small
> V8 and if so what model car was it in?
> I am building a 3/4 size Ford 32 Duce Roadster and looking for a small
> powerplant for it.
>
> Thanks, Mike
>
> Chopped 66 Bug

British Rover all aluminum V8, 3.8 liters. They made them in the...
70's? Lightweight, but can't say anything about physical dimensions. I
believe it's originally a Buick engine though.

Jan
Old June 10th 06, 03:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

The Buick aluminum V8 was 215 cu inches. Would be closer to 3.5 liters.

In the F85 Jetfire, it was turbocharged and put out 215 hp. Only drawback was, like the
turbocharged Corvair, the turbo did not get its oil lubrication from the engine. You had to go to
the GM dealer and by bottles of turbocharger oil. [now I am dating myself]

Here is a link: http://www.442.com/oldsfaq/ofjet.htm

Old June 10th 06, 03:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

"Mike West" > wrote in message
> Any of you know wheather Suzuki or some other foreign maker , made a small
> V8 and if so what model car was it in?

The Yamaha V8. 3.4 liter (207ci). Ford used it in their '96 Taurus. It's
out of production now.

Old June 10th 06, 04:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

"Mike West" > wrote in message
> Any of you know wheather Suzuki or some other foreign maker , made a small
> V8 and if so what model car was it in?
> I am building a 3/4 size Ford 32 Duce Roadster and looking for a small
> powerplant for it.

............Those Olds/Buick/Land Rover aluminum block V8's are hard to find
and expensive. Parts availability would make rebuilding one somewhat
expensive as well. You might want to consider instead the Buick 3.8 liter V6
which was actually used in every other GM division except maybe Cadillac.
They're plentiful and cheap in the salvage yards. It wouldn't take too much
expense to rebuild one and there's enough aftermarket stuff available to get
maybe 250-300 hp out of one without going to a turbo.

Old June 10th 06, 07:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Karl wrote:
> The Buick aluminum V8 was 215 cu inches. Would be closer to 3.5 liters.

Yes, that was a typo on my part. Sorry. The Rover model number is also
3500. They made them with smaller engines too (non v8)

Jan
Old June 10th 06, 11:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Tim Rogers wrote:
> "Mike West" > wrote in message
> > Any of you know wheather Suzuki or some other foreign maker , made a small
> > V8 and if so what model car was it in?
> > I am building a 3/4 size Ford 32 Duce Roadster and looking for a small
> > powerplant for it.
> >

> ...........Those Olds/Buick/Land Rover aluminum block V8's are hard to find
> and expensive. Parts availability would make rebuilding one somewhat
> expensive as well. You might want to consider instead the Buick 3.8 liter V6
> which was actually used in every other GM division except maybe Cadillac.
> They're plentiful and cheap in the salvage yards. It wouldn't take too much
> expense to rebuild one and there's enough aftermarket stuff available to get
> maybe 250-300 hp out of one without going to a turbo.

>In the F85 Jetfire, it was turbocharged and put out 215 hp.

I work on one of the 347 of these cars made at a street rod shop in NY
.. This is one of the cars most people never see because of cost , and
that includes what it takes to restore them.

Mario
Vintage Werks resto

Old June 10th 06, 11:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 08:43:46 -0500, "Mike West" >
wrote:

>Any of you know wheather Suzuki or some other foreign maker , made a small
>V8 and if so what model car was it in?
>I am building a 3/4 size Ford 32 Duce Roadster and looking for a small
>powerplant for it.
>
>Thanks, Mike
>
>Chopped 66 Bug

Why not use a ford V6? It's a good engine if you get the 3.0.

Otherwise the smallest thing (in cubic inch displacement) I'd use
would be a chrysler 273 V8. They were plenty powerful and parts are
almost all the same as a 318/340/360 as far as periferals. I admit
there's nothing terribly cheap about old chrysler engines, but this
particular engine is pretty reliable and very modifiable. Of course
the dimensions are almost identical the 318/340/360.......they share
the same block. difference is in bore and crank and water jackets and
such.

Good luck.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

http://www.angelfire.com/retro/sster...IN%20PAGE.html

If A Quiz is Quizzical,
What is a test?

The Peacemaking Meeting scheduled for today has been
cancelled due to a conflict.
Old June 11th 06, 02:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

"Tim Rogers" > wrote in message
> ...........Those Olds/Buick/Land Rover aluminum block V8's are hard to
> find
> and expensive. Parts availability would make rebuilding one somewhat
> expensive as well. You might want to consider instead the Buick 3.8 liter
> V6
> which was actually used in every other GM division except maybe Cadillac.
> They're plentiful and cheap in the salvage yards. It wouldn't take too
> much
> expense to rebuild one and there's enough aftermarket stuff available to
> get
> maybe 250-300 hp out of one without going to a turbo.

The 3.8 GM V6s can be real powerhouses with a TON of aftermarket stuff
available for them, or if you are lucky, find one of the Grand Nat'l or
Typhoon motors in a junkyard. I think there was even a supercharged model in
some of the later big FWD Buicks.

Sneaks
'68 T1

Old June 11th 06, 04:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

"Sneaks" > wrote in message
. ..

> The 3.8 GM V6s can be real powerhouses with a TON of aftermarket stuff
> available for them, or if you are lucky, find one of the Grand Nat'l or
> Typhoon motors in a junkyard. I think there was even a supercharged model

in
> some of the later big FWD Buicks.

.............I forgot about those supercharged Buicks. If one could be found,
that would be a terrific answer to the original poster's question. Were
those Buicks transverse engine/tranny layouts under the hood?

1993 Saturn Fuel Filter Question OHC (SOHC)? [email protected] Saturn 7 May 21st 06 08:39 PM
Off topic F150 question Cedartown Electronics Ford Explorer 3 February 10th 06 03:14 PM
Ignorant question. Jeepers Jeep 9 January 15th 05 05:42 AM
93 SL1 Valve Body - Question Gary Compton Saturn 3 September 3rd 04 05:58 PM