GPL Help with LWFF Profiler, please

Old May 30th 06, 07:41 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Default GPL Help with LWFF Profiler, please

Having had a while away from GPL I recently downloaded the GPL2004 Demo
files, copied the tracks across from my original disk and generally got on
with it. However, despite having the Logitech Profiler software running, and
having a persistent profile applied so that I can, for example, reset the
tach with a wheel button, the profiler isn't doing it's job.

I've removed and reinstalled said profiler (v4.60) and followed all of the
advice on the Wingman Team pages and can see that profiles aren't being
applied. (Opening a text document and pressing wheel buttons produces no key
press.) However, the inputs from the wheel are being recognised as I can
allocate paddles etc to gear changes within the game, so it's not a case of
faulty switches.

Also, when calibrating the wheel and pedals in-game, I can't get split axes
to work anymore. Pressing the accelerator sends axis 2 from end to end, but
also sends axis 1 from centre to left. Pressing the brake activates axis
three with full range, but sends axis 1 from centre to right. Consequently,
when I try to allocate them, I get throttle=axis 1 > and brake=axis 1 < (or
something...)

Please...ANY ideas before I lose it?!

Thanks in advance,

Rick.

Win XP
LWFF

Old May 30th 06, 10:31 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Rick Catton wrote:
> Having had a while away from GPL I recently downloaded the GPL2004 Demo
> files, copied the tracks across from my original disk and generally got on
> with it. However, despite having the Logitech Profiler software running, and
> having a persistent profile applied so that I can, for example, reset the
> tach with a wheel button, the profiler isn't doing it's job.
>
> I've removed and reinstalled said profiler (v4.60) and followed all of the
> advice on the Wingman Team pages and can see that profiles aren't being
> applied. (Opening a text document and pressing wheel buttons produces no key
> press.) However, the inputs from the wheel are being recognised as I can
> allocate paddles etc to gear changes within the game, so it's not a case of
> faulty switches.

You're saying that the pedals and paddles work, but it seems that the
wheel buttons do not, right? Do they work for things like Look Right &
Look left in the game? It could be that the buttons are indeed broken
even if the paddles are not. (Although it would be odd if all of them
went at the same time.)

> Also, when calibrating the wheel and pedals in-game, I can't get split axes
> to work anymore. Pressing the accelerator sends axis 2 from end to end, but
> also sends axis 1 from centre to left. Pressing the brake activates axis
> three with full range, but sends axis 1 from centre to right. Consequently,
> when I try to allocate them, I get throttle=axis 1 > and brake=axis 1 < (or
> something...)

Do you have the option for combined axis set in the Device settings?
You can get at the device settings either from the Profiler software
(which I don't have running at the mo., or from Control Panel -> Game
Controllers.

Chose the "Settings" button on the main page of the devise setup
screen, and at the top of the page, there will be a checkbox labeled
"Combined (single axis - used for most games)" Make sure this is NOT
checked.

> Please...ANY ideas before I lose it?!
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Rick.
>
> Win XP
> LWFF

HTH,
--
Darryl

Old May 30th 06, 11:13 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

> You're saying that the pedals and paddles work, but it seems that the
> wheel buttons do not, right? Do they work for things like Look Right &
> Look left in the game? It could be that the buttons are indeed broken
> even if the paddles are not. (Although it would be odd if all of them
> went at the same time.)

Yes - all axes, paddles and buttons are functional and can get responses
both in-game and in the 'game controller' app within the control panel.

> Do you have the option for combined axis set in the Device settings?
> You can get at the device settings either from the Profiler software
> (which I don't have running at the mo., or from Control Panel -> Game
> Controllers.

Again, yes..! 'Combined' is unchecked in g/controllers, 'Report Combined' is
unchecked under Global Device Settings and Specific Game settings within the
profiler.

> Chose the "Settings" button on the main page of the devise setup
> screen, and at the top of the page, there will be a checkbox labeled
> "Combined (single axis - used for most games)" Make sure this is NOT
> checked.

Yes...see above.

The only other 'odd' behaviour I've noticed is that in the past, when
actually going in-car from the menu, the throttle has steadily increased
with no input from me, until the wheel registered some movement on any axis.
Doesn't do this any more - I'm wondering if this is connected to the split
axis problem?

Thanks for the advice - appreciate your suggestions.

Regards

Rick.

Old May 30th 06, 11:29 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

"Rick Catton" > writes:

> The only other 'odd' behaviour I've noticed is that in the past, when
> actually going in-car from the menu, the throttle has steadily increased
> with no input from me, until the wheel registered some movement on any axis.
> Doesn't do this any more - I'm wondering if this is connected to the split
> axis problem?

I say you don't need the Wingman software for anything. I've shut it
down and GPL works fine without. Are you trying to do anyting that has
to be done with it?

It is odd about the split axis. I have not had any problems using the
demo and both split and combined axis.

The oddity you've had with the throttle is something that happens
sometimes. I usually touch the controller and it goes away. I've changed
from a MOMO Racing to a GP Force now since the pots in the MOMO have
gone bad. I have in fact not seen that oddity since I changed. It could
be your wheel is having the same pot problem my developed and it has not
yet shown itself as spikes.

I hope it gave some food for thought. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

/Andreas

--
A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
Old May 31st 06, 06:41 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

"Rick Catton" > wrote in message
> Having had a while away from GPL I recently downloaded the GPL2004 Demo
> files, copied the tracks across from my original disk and generally got on
> with it. However, despite having the Logitech Profiler software running,
> and having a persistent profile applied so that I can, for example, reset
> the tach with a wheel button, the profiler isn't doing it's job.
>
> I've removed and reinstalled said profiler (v4.60) and followed all of the
> advice on the Wingman Team pages and can see that profiles aren't being
> applied. (Opening a text document and pressing wheel buttons produces no
> key press.) However, the inputs from the wheel are being recognised as I
> can allocate paddles etc to gear changes within the game, so it's not a
> case of faulty switches.

4.50 was the last release that had support for the LWFF... and even then,
only with "add-on" package. See the readme and packages he

http://www.wingmanteam.com/files/releases/4.50/

> Also, when calibrating the wheel and pedals in-game, I can't get split
> axes to work anymore. Pressing the accelerator sends axis 2 from end to
> end, but also sends axis 1 from centre to left. Pressing the brake
> activates axis three with full range, but sends axis 1 from centre to
> right. Consequently, when I try to allocate them, I get throttle=axis 1 >
> and brake=axis 1 < (or something...)

That sounds like it's not using the updated driver, but rather the one built
into XP.

Old May 31st 06, 10:58 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

> I say you don't need the Wingman software for anything. I've shut it
> down and GPL works fine without. Are you trying to do anyting that has
> to be done with it?

Only assigning one of the buttons to reset the redline needle.

> It is odd about the split axis. I have not had any problems using the
> demo and both split and combined axis.
>
> The oddity you've had with the throttle is something that happens
> sometimes. I usually touch the controller and it goes away. I've changed
> from a MOMO Racing to a GP Force now since the pots in the MOMO have
> gone bad. I have in fact not seen that oddity since I changed. It could
> be your wheel is having the same pot problem my developed and it has not
> yet shown itself as spikes.

Possible - this trusty old wheel has plenty of miles on it. I've been
watching the threads about the new Logi due in September with interest...

> I hope it gave some food for thought. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Don't apologise! I appreciate the effort.

Cheers,
Rick.

Old May 31st 06, 11:09 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

> 4.50 was the last release that had support for the LWFF... and even then,
> only with "add-on" package. See the readme and packages he
>
> http://www.wingmanteam.com/files/releases/4.50/

You are a god among racers. Installed the software and the LWFF fix from
the link supplied and all is now as it should be. Profiler picking up
correctly, axes properly separated and I'm back to slogging around behind
Stewart and Brabham!

Very, very many thanks - your help is much appreciated. A virtual pint of
Greene King's finest to you!

Best regards

Rick.

Old May 31st 06, 05:07 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

John Smith wrote:
> "Rick Catton" > wrote in message
> > Having had a while away from GPL I recently downloaded the GPL2004 Demo
> > files, copied the tracks across from my original disk and generally got on
> > with it. However, despite having the Logitech Profiler software running,
> > and having a persistent profile applied so that I can, for example, reset
> > the tach with a wheel button, the profiler isn't doing it's job.
> >
> > I've removed and reinstalled said profiler (v4.60) and followed all of the
> > advice on the Wingman Team pages and can see that profiles aren't being
> > applied. (Opening a text document and pressing wheel buttons produces no
> > key press.) However, the inputs from the wheel are being recognised as I
> > can allocate paddles etc to gear changes within the game, so it's not a
> > case of faulty switches.

> 4.50 was the last release that had support for the LWFF... and even then,
> only with "add-on" package. See the readme and packages he
>
> http://www.wingmanteam.com/files/releases/4.50/

<snip>

Odd that. I'm using Wingman Profiler version 4.60.369 with Windows XP
Home and an old Logi Wingman Formula Force USB wheel set. Everything
*seems* to work fine for me, despite the assertion that only the 4.50
version should work.

Maybe I need to go to the Wingman site again and "fix" this. <LOL!!>

--
Darryl

Old May 31st 06, 05:26 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

>> 4.50 was the last release that had support for the LWFF... and even then,
>> only with "add-on" package. See the readme and packages he
>>
>> http://www.wingmanteam.com/files/releases/4.50/
>>

> You are a god among racers. Installed the software and the LWFF fix from
> the link supplied and all is now as it should be. Profiler picking up
> correctly, axes properly separated and I'm back to slogging around behind
> Stewart and Brabham!

Glad to be of help. It's always a bit annoying to have an old piece of
hardware and notice that the support for it is dwindling. But oh, such is
life.

Old June 1st 06, 01:16 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

"Rick Catton" > writes:

> > I say you don't need the Wingman software for anything. I've shut it
> > down and GPL works fine without. Are you trying to do anyting that has
> > to be done with it?

> Only assigning one of the buttons to reset the redline needle.

I wasn't even aware of it being possible to do!

> > I hope it gave some food for thought. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
> >

> Don't apologise! I appreciate the effort.

Great. Race on!

/andreas

--
A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.