Collector Car Insurance

Old September 2nd 05, 03:13 AM
Matt Surette

Default Collector Car Insurance

I just bought a 72 LT-1 Convertible and I'm trying to find insurance for it.
Has anyone had any good or bad experiences with the various collector car
insurance companies out there?

Thanks,

Matt

72 LT-1 Conv 4-sp w/AC
97 Coupe Auto

Old September 2nd 05, 03:35 PM
Bob G.

On Thu, 1 Sep 2005 22:13:53 -0400, "Matt Surette"
> wrote:

>I just bought a 72 LT-1 Convertible and I'm trying to find insurance for it.
>Has anyone had any good or bad experiences with the various collector car
>insurance companies out there?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Matt
>
>72 LT-1 Conv 4-sp w/AC
>97 Coupe Auto

====================
I use American Collectors...have for many years, and the one and only
claim I had was handled without any problems and to my satisfaction...

Just ask whichever company you go with every question you can think of
as far as restrictions go.... Hargerty flately told me I was not
covered IF I took one of the cars out for a "sunday" drive...they
called that pleasure driving...WTF do they think I own the cars
for...?

Bob G
64 72 76 79 & 95 Corvettes..... (even the 95 is covered by Am
Collectors...even though it is too new )
Old September 2nd 05, 05:10 PM
Dave in Lake Villa

I also have American Collectors. Just be sure you get 'Agreed Value'
insurance. I pay $220 per year for $25 k. agreed value , comprehensive
at no deductible/collisioan at no deductible, and 4000 miles per year
driving max. . Must store Vette in a locked garage/barn and must have a
different daily driver .

Old September 2nd 05, 05:53 PM
Crabs

Matt Surette wrote:

> I just bought a 72 LT-1 Convertible and I'm trying to find insurance for it.
> Has anyone had any good or bad experiences with the various collector car
> insurance companies out there?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Matt
>
> 72 LT-1 Conv 4-sp w/AC
> 97 Coupe Auto

I have American Collectors for my '90 ZR1. I pay ~$300 a year for $30k
worth of stated value. I'm limited to 4k miles a year (but I don't think
they actually check unless it's a HUGE issue). No deductibles for
comprehensive. It must be stored in a locked facility (i.e., garage,
barn, etc.) and you must have a daily driver. Strictly a pleasure car.
I suspect that if you total the car at the local grocery store parking
lot while you are picking up beer on the way home from work on a Tuesday
night they just might deny your claim... ;-)

TomC
'90 ZR1
Old September 2nd 05, 06:01 PM
StingRay

"Dave in Lake Villa" > wrote in message
> I pay $220 per year for $25 k. agreed value , comprehensive at no
> deductible/collisioan at no deductible, and 4000 miles per year

$25k? I thought you had a BB!!??

Old September 2nd 05, 06:35 PM
Dad

"StingRay" > wrote in message
> "Dave in Lake Villa" > wrote in message
>> I pay $220 per year for $25 k. agreed value , comprehensive at no
>> deductible/collisioan at no deductible, and 4000 miles per year

> $25k? I thought you had a BB!!??

So does he. I'd say the value was not from an approved appraiser because
it's to looks high.

--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

Old September 2nd 05, 06:49 PM
Dad

Matt Surette wrote:

> I just bought a 72 LT-1 Convertible and I'm trying to find insurance for
> it. Has anyone had any good or bad experiences with the various collector
> car insurance companies out there?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Matt
>
> 72 LT-1 Conv 4-sp w/AC
> 97 Coupe Auto

I have American Collectors for my '72 and they have always been good to deal
with although I've never had a claim.

Total insurance bill for all 5 cars you wouldn't believe but it is low.
Multi car discount, decrepit age group, no accidents in the last 20 years
and only one ticket over 140 (written for 118 to keep me out of jail).
Internet folklore.
--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

Old September 2nd 05, 07:07 PM
Matt Surette

Thanks for the feedback - I'll definitely check out American Collectors. I
don't plant to drive the car very much, it will be stored in my garage and
we have two other cars to drive so getting a policy shouldn't be an issue.
The company that insures my other cars will only do actual cash value which
I don't think is a good option.

Old September 2nd 05, 07:59 PM
'Key

"Dad" > wrote in message

> Matt Surette wrote:
>
>> I just bought a 72 LT-1 Convertible and I'm trying to
>> find insurance for it. Has anyone had any good or bad
>> experiences with the various collector car insurance
>> companies out there?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Matt
>>
>> 72 LT-1 Conv 4-sp w/AC
>> 97 Coupe Auto

> I have American Collectors for my '72 and they have always
> been good to deal with although I've never had a claim.
>
> Total insurance bill for all 5 cars you wouldn't believe
> but it is low. Multi car discount, decrepit age group, no
> accidents in the last 20 years and only one ticket over
> 140 (written for 118 to keep me out of jail). Internet
> folklore.
> --
> Dad
> 05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51
> 72 Shark Black/Black/4spd

well?
how low is it ?
--
"Key"

Old September 2nd 05, 08:22 PM
Crabs

'Key wrote:
> "Dad" > wrote in message
>

>>Matt Surette wrote:
>>

>>>I just bought a 72 LT-1 Convertible and I'm trying to
>>>find insurance for it. Has anyone had any good or bad
>>>experiences with the various collector car insurance
>>>companies out there?
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>
>>>Matt
>>>
>>>72 LT-1 Conv 4-sp w/AC
>>>97 Coupe Auto

>>I have American Collectors for my '72 and they have always
>>been good to deal with although I've never had a claim.
>>
>>Total insurance bill for all 5 cars you wouldn't believe
>>but it is low. Multi car discount, decrepit age group, no
>>accidents in the last 20 years and only one ticket over
>>140 (written for 118 to keep me out of jail). Internet
>>folklore.
>>--
>>Dad
>>05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51
>>72 Shark Black/Black/4spd

> well?
> how low is it ?

Yea!
How much?

More importantly, how much did the 118 in the 65 cost you?

Thinking of opening up the ZR1 just to see how fast it really goes in
5th gear. I think I've seen 100 as I was shifting from third to fourth...
But things were happening so fast, everything was a blur. ;-)

TomC
'90ZR1