RSC, why was Legends Central delted?

Old August 22nd 05, 02:30 AM
Jeff Reid

Default RSC, why was Legends Central delted?

Under: "Why don't other sites care about the things we do?"

Maybe they didn't have their site deleted once due to a mistake by a site member? That happened to RSC (then Legends
Central) in 2001. We also have a good relationship with some publishers and developers simply because of the rules we
uphold, without their co-operation we could not continue to develop the site and could not get the access we enjoy.

What is the actual story behind this. How can a web site get "deleted"?
Does this mean that someone came in and deleted all your databases, or did
you just lose an ISP? If so, why couldn't you just find another ISP to host
your server?

Old August 22nd 05, 05:33 AM
jason moyer

Jeff Reid wrote:

> What is the actual story behind this. How can a web site get "deleted"?

2 quick thoughts:

1. answering your query is fairly pointless given that asking it
already shows that you probably wouldn't understand the answer

2. jesus, get over it

Old August 22nd 05, 06:39 AM
Jeff Reid

>> What is the actual story behind this. How can a web site get "deleted"?
>
> 1. answering your query is fairly pointless given that asking it
> already shows that you probably wouldn't understand the answer

I think some here are curious about this. The statement that a
mistake by a member cause their site to be deleted isn't very clear.

Was the mistake related to a forum posting or something else, like
a illegal download (pirated software) on the LC web site, not related
to the forum?

An ISP can shut down a web site, but shouldn't be able to delete any
of it's content. The web site can just go find a new ISP and change
the domain link.

Old August 22nd 05, 06:59 AM
Byron Forbes

"jason moyer" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Jeff Reid wrote:
>
>> What is the actual story behind this. How can a web site get "deleted"?

> 2 quick thoughts:
>
> 1. answering your query is fairly pointless given that asking it
> already shows that you probably wouldn't understand the answer
>
> 2. jesus, get over it

I would actually like to know about this too.

I assume an ISP has taken the site down after a complaint from someone
about a link or post. ISPs would need to be very careful about that.

I'd like to know for sure!

Old August 22nd 05, 07:15 AM
whooo

jason moyer wrote:
> Jeff Reid wrote:
>

>>What is the actual story behind this. How can a web site get "deleted"?

> 2 quick thoughts:
>
> 1. answering your query is fairly pointless given that asking it
> already shows that you probably wouldn't understand the answer

Don't be stupid! It's fair question. The answer can't be rocket science.
Old August 22nd 05, 05:35 PM
Plowboy

gee the computer the site was hosted on, had the contents of the
drive/folder got deleted by mistake, how hard could tha have been to do?
IFIAK easy...
whooo enlightened us with:

Old August 23rd 05, 02:39 AM
jason moyer

Byron Forbes wrote:

> I would actually like to know about this too.
>
> I assume an ISP has taken the site down after a complaint from someone
> about a link or post. ISPs would need to be very careful about that.
>
> I'd like to know for sure!

Based on the wording, someone was doing administration to the site and
accidentally deleted it. It's not really an uncommon thing, altho
hopefully you'd have at least nightly backups to pull from.

Old August 23rd 05, 03:48 PM
Byron Forbes

"jason moyer" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Byron Forbes wrote:
>
>> I would actually like to know about this too.
>>
>> I assume an ISP has taken the site down after a complaint from
>> someone
>> about a link or post. ISPs would need to be very careful about that.
>>
>> I'd like to know for sure!

> Based on the wording, someone was doing administration to the site and
> accidentally deleted it. It's not really an uncommon thing, altho
> hopefully you'd have at least nightly backups to pull from.

Well, the main point is, it wasn't legal action against them.

And thus, it seems that RSC has never been shut down for legal reasons?
So why be so conservative at the expense of those you are supposed to be
serving?

Old August 23rd 05, 05:27 PM
jason moyer

Byron Forbes wrote:

> And thus, it seems that RSC has never been shut down for legal reasons?
> So why be so conservative at the expense of those you are supposed to be
> serving?

2 things come to mind:

1. They don't want to invite legal action that could potentially
threaten the site.

2. They have a special relationship with all of the major sim
developers and don't want to jeopardize that.

Old August 23rd 05, 05:28 PM
alex martini

"jason moyer" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Byron Forbes wrote:
>
>> And thus, it seems that RSC has never been shut down for legal
>> reasons?
>> So why be so conservative at the expense of those you are supposed to be
>> serving?

> 2 things come to mind:
>
> 1. They don't want to invite legal action that could potentially
> threaten the site.
>
> 2. They have a special relationship with all of the major sim
> developers and don't want to jeopardize that.

1. Is not a possibility, I have evidence.
2. Then they should cease asking for donations.