Some interesting reading

Old August 16th 05, 05:05 PM
Paul.

Default Some interesting reading

See: http://tinyurl.com/aopbc

The short of it, this reporter decided to give driving at the speed limit
a try for a week with some interesting results. I did disagree with a
couple of things he had to say, namely when he would cruise in the middle
lane for no apparent reason and his confronting another driver with the
one finger salute, but overall, I found his conclusions to be
interesting...

And this editorial on oil, given the discusions we have been having of
late...

http://tinyurl.com/c5nwa

--
Paul

Self-appointed unofficial overseer of kooks
and trolls in rec.autos.driving.
Old August 16th 05, 05:36 PM

In article et>,
Paul. > wrote:

> See: http://tinyurl.com/aopbc
>
> The short of it, this reporter decided to give driving at the speed limit
> a try for a week with some interesting results. I did disagree with a
> couple of things he had to say, namely when he would cruise in the middle
> lane for no apparent reason and his confronting another driver with the
> one finger salute, but overall, I found his conclusions to be
> interesting...

What's interesting is that he didn't conclude the speed limits were too
low.

Ivan
Old August 16th 05, 06:03 PM
Larry Bud

Paul. wrote:
> See: http://tinyurl.com/aopbc
>
> The short of it, this reporter decided to give driving at the speed limit
> a try for a week with some interesting results.

His entire experience can be summed up by his once sentence:

"I'm going far slower than the normal flow of traffic".

Exactly. He's impeding traffic by matching an artifically set number
that some bureaucrat made up. He's causing people who ARE travelling
with the normal flow of traffic to spread around you like parting of
the red sea.

Old August 16th 05, 06:11 PM
Laura Bush murdered her boy friend

Larry Bud wrote:
> Paul. wrote:
> > See: http://tinyurl.com/aopbc
> >
> > The short of it, this reporter decided to give driving at the speed limit
> > a try for a week with some interesting results.

> His entire experience can be summed up by his once sentence:
>
> "I'm going far slower than the normal flow of traffic".
>
> Exactly. He's impeding traffic by matching an artifically set number
> that some bureaucrat made up. He's causing people who ARE travelling
> with the normal flow of traffic to spread around you like parting of
> the red sea.

Oh shut up, you idiot. He's obeying the law and if everyone obeyed
speed limits, highway fatalities would drop at least 10,000 a year.
And it would save tens of billions of $ in medical bills and property
damage and lost time.

Old August 16th 05, 06:31 PM
Paul.

On 16 Aug 2005 10:11:44 -0700, Laura Bush murdered her boy friend , said
the following in rec.autos.driving...

> Oh shut up, you idiot. He's obeying the law and if everyone obeyed
> speed limits, highway fatalities would drop at least 10,000 a year.
> And it would save tens of billions of $ in medical bills and property
> damage and lost time.

Read the article, numbnutz. The author's point was that people who dart
in and out of traffic and drive agressively etc... in the end don't wind
up that further down the road than people going the SL or simply with the
flow of traffic. Nowhere did he mention accident rates/fatalities/medical
costs.

Old August 16th 05, 07:33 PM
Ted B.

> Read the article, numbnutz. The author's point was that people who dart
> in and out of traffic and drive agressively etc... in the end don't wind
> up that further down the road than people going the SL or simply with the
> flow of traffic.

Really? In every case he mentioned, the other drivers eventually LOST HIM,
as in were soon too far out of sight for him to track. If he caught up with
someone who passed him, that only lasted for a moment or so until the light
turned green, etc. -Dave

Old August 16th 05, 07:44 PM
Alexander Rogge

On roadways flooded with Sloths, you do get further down the road. Many
traffic jams are caused by LLBs or when a lane is closed. The problem
is that the traffic doesn't return to normal speed after passing the
obstruction, so the traffic congestion continues to increase until
there's a long traffic jam. By getting in front of more Sloths, travel
time can be reduced by a significant amount. Like this problem of one
lane closed, traffic must merge to the left. The speed of traffic drops
to less than 20 and traffic becomes very congested. After passing the
work zone, traffic does not return to that lane and speeds barely go
past 50. This congestion causes a longer jam, and there's a long area
of roadway in front of the jam where there is no traffic. By moving in
front of the Sloths, you can enter this empty section and notice that
there's no traffic behind you for 3 km or more. This also happens at
traffic lights. I was waiting in a left turn lane and noticed that the
minivan driver on the right and the driver behind me were creeping
forward like they were in a hurry to get through the light. I moved on
green and went five blocks before they finished the turn. These Sloths
are the reason that traffic becomes congested.
Old August 16th 05, 10:48 PM
TedKennedyMurderedHisPregnantMistress.dwpj65@spamg

Laura Bush murdered her boy friend wrote:
> Larry Bud wrote:
> > Paul. wrote:
> > > See: http://tinyurl.com/aopbc
> > >
> > > The short of it, this reporter decided to give driving at the speed limit
> > > a try for a week with some interesting results.

> > His entire experience can be summed up by his once sentence:
> >
> > "I'm going far slower than the normal flow of traffic".
> >
> > Exactly. He's impeding traffic by matching an artifically set number
> > that some bureaucrat made up. He's causing people who ARE travelling
> > with the normal flow of traffic to spread around you like parting of
> > the red sea.

> Oh shut up, you idiot. He's obeying the law and if everyone obeyed
> speed limits, highway fatalities would drop at least 10,000 a year.
> And it would save tens of billions of $ in medical bills and property
> damage and lost time.

Teach people how to drive, retard, and watch the fatalities and fuel
consumption drop.

Or be a retard and preach the value of adhering to improperly set speed
limits and improper lane usage and watch the fatalities remaind
relatively constant, and fuel consumption increase.

While you may be retarded enough to believe that the latter is a
solution, I don't share your delusions (or your homosexuality for that
matter.)

Old August 16th 05, 11:13 PM
Laura Bush is a great first lady

Paul. wrote:
> See: http://tinyurl.com/aopbc
>
> The short of it, this reporter decided to give driving at the speed limit
> a try for a week with some interesting results. I did disagree with a
> couple of things he had to say, namely when he would cruise in the middle
> lane for no apparent reason and his confronting another driver with the
> one finger salute, but overall, I found his conclusions to be
> interesting...
>
> And this editorial on oil, given the discusions we have been having of
> late...

Jacksonville?!?! My recent drive through there *RULED*. On I95 I saw
three "Slower Traffic Keep Right" signs for every *ONE* speed limit
sign which was 70mph. I did 80mph on my journey on that stretch, and
was passed numerous times. Even passed by a couple of cops running
radar in the median, while doing 10mph over, and they didn't even bat
an eye. Did not see *any* vehicles pulled on the side of the road
during my journey. Nice stretch of road, IMO; the nation would be
*MUCH* better off if there was more road like this around.

Old August 17th 05, 02:25 AM
Brent P

In article et>, Paul. wrote:

> Read the article, numbnutz. The author's point was that people who dart
> in and out of traffic and drive agressively etc... in the end don't wind
> up that further down the road than people going the SL or simply with the
> flow of traffic. Nowhere did he mention accident rates/fatalities/medical
> costs.

The fact that in congested conditions there exist a great number of
idiots not following lane discipline rules does not make the
pulled-out-of-someone's-ass speed limits valid.

I have done the follow-the-speed-limit experiment myself. Except I kept
right except to pass or use left side exits.

My findings were that my travel times increased by aproximately 20%, I
spent most of my time watching the rearview mirrors, I was nearly hit
several times, I found my mind drifting and I wanted a TV to watch, and
lastly I had to fight falling asleep. It's also the only time in my life
I've ever used cruise control.

The author was making himself a road hazard, creating a disturbance in
the flow, creating chaotic flow and then going 'LOOK! chaotic driving!!'

This isn't any better than the reporters who plant themselves in the
passing lane of a major interstate at 55mph and then when someone flashes
them to move right they go 'LOOK! road rage!'.