Adhesive for Radiator Hoses ?

Old July 30th 05, 03:36 PM
Denny B

Default Adhesive for Radiator Hoses ?

Is there a particular adhesive one can use on the
inlet and outlet radiator pipes before installing
new radiator hoses.
Its just that its time to replace the hoses.

Can you use Permatex # 3 ( I believe its #3) ?

Thanks in advance
Denny B

Old July 30th 05, 03:55 PM
mst

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 08:36:51 -0600 "Denny B" >
wrote:

> Is there a particular adhesive one can use on the
> inlet and outlet radiator pipes before installing
> new radiator hoses.
> Its just that its time to replace the hoses.
>
> Can you use Permatex # 3 ( I believe its #3) ?

Why? If, say, a snout has a build-up of deposits
on [its] outside, you should be wire-brushing the
build-up off. If the metal snout on the radiator
side is prone to leaking, even when the hose clamp
is [appropriately] tightened down, then you should
fix the problem, whatever it might be (bent metal,
and so on).

Consider the situation should you have to replace
one of those hoses, having used an adhesive. You'll
spend a [considerable] amount of time/effort to
remove that adhesive (even if it is non-hardening)
before installing a new hose.

I'd put the hoses on dry. I've done this with every
car and motorcycle I've owned. The only time that I
experienced a leak coming from around a snout, with
a new hose, is that I failed to clean off the build-up
of deposits on the outside of the snout (water-pump snout).

--
remove MYSHOES to email
Old July 30th 05, 04:33 PM
Steve B.

wrote:

>Is there a particular adhesive one can use on the
>inlet and outlet radiator pipes before installing
>new radiator hoses.
>Its just that its time to replace the hoses.
>
>Can you use Permatex # 3 ( I believe its #3) ?
>
>Thanks in advance
>Denny B

The hoses require no adhesive. Use new screw clamps and new hoses,
tighten appropratley and all will be well.

Steve B.
Old July 30th 05, 04:36 PM
Professor

Why would you need an adhesive for that job?

Professor
www.telstar-electronics.com

Old July 30th 05, 11:20 PM
N8N

Some older shop manuals recommend same. However hoses back then were a
lot stiffer.

nate

Old July 31st 05, 01:34 AM
larry moe 'n curly

Denny B wrote:

> Is there a particular adhesive one can use on the
> inlet and outlet radiator pipes before installing
> new radiator hoses.
> Its just that its time to replace the hoses.
>
> Can you use Permatex # 3 ( I believe its #3) ?

I don't know what Permatex #3 is, but my Ford came with what seemed
like rubber glue inside each hose. I first installed the new hoses
without adhesive, but one short heater hose, under the ignition coils,
always leaked, no matter how much I tightened the hose clamps or even
when I used spring clamps (very hard to install at that location) or
hose with a smaller inside diameter. It was only after I applied
rubber glue that the leak stopped for good.

Old July 31st 05, 05:07 AM
« Paul »

Denny B wrote:

> Is there a particular adhesive one can use on the
> inlet and outlet radiator pipes before installing
> new radiator hoses.
> Its just that its time to replace the hoses.
>
> Can you use Permatex # 3 ( I believe its #3) ?
>
> Thanks in advance
> Denny B

Adhesive? Surely you are joking?
That has not been required since the mid 1950's.
Old July 31st 05, 01:57 PM
*

For the last 40 years, I have used Permatex Super 300 or Aviation gasket
sealer on ALL hose installations.

I have a good repeat business, and I have replaced may of the hoses I have
installed this way.

You simply take a utility knife, slit the hose, and peel it off.

With today's higher pressure cooling systems, I continue this practice
today.

Denny B > wrote in article

Old July 31st 05, 02:23 PM
Denny B

"*" > wrote in message
> For the last 40 years, I have used Permatex Super 300 or Aviation

gasket
> sealer on ALL hose installations.
>
> I have a good repeat business, and I have replaced may of the hoses

I have
> installed this way.
>
> You simply take a utility knife, slit the hose, and peel it off.
>
> With today's higher pressure cooling systems, I continue this

practice
> today.

This is the way I believe the hoses should be installed.
I slit my hoses with a utility knife and easily peel it off.

Permatex Super 300 or Aviation gasket sealer.
This is the name I am looking for.

Thanks
Denny B