$1.99 Gas Hits NJ! today!

Old October 27th 08, 12:44 AM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
Brent P[_1_]

Default $1.99 Gas Hits NJ! today!

On 2008-10-26, Nate Nagel > wrote:
> Paul D. DeRocco wrote:
>>> "richard" > wrote
>>>
>>> You know what I'd do? Ban together a few people and begin doing some
>>> nightly damage to his place. It gets mighty damn expensive replacing
>>> plate glass windows every week.
>>> A simple little cutting of the hoses. Pull down a pump or two.

>> Well, then, you're an asshole. If you ever do that, I hope they lock you up.
>>

> besides, there might be a reason for the higher price, like it's in the
> middle of BFE. If you cause the guy enough grief, he ain't gonna lower
> the price, but he MIGHT go out of business. then the one time you are
> stuck there and need gas, you'll be SOL.

A free market has a wonderful way of dealing with businesses who have
set prices too high... people buy from someone else. They either correct
their prices or go out of business. Gas station to gas station
competition is still for the most part a free market. Since this gas
station stays in business, the prices are obviously not too high.

Old October 27th 08, 01:03 AM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
Steve Sobol

On 2008-10-26, Nate Nagel > wrote:

>>> nightly damage to his place. It gets mighty damn expensive replacing
>>> plate glass windows every week.
>>> A simple little cutting of the hoses. Pull down a pump or two.

>> Well, then, you're an asshole. If you ever do that, I hope they lock you up.
>>

> besides, there might be a reason for the higher price, like it's in the
> middle of BFE. If you cause the guy enough grief, he ain't gonna lower
> the price, but he MIGHT go out of business. then the one time you are
> stuck there and need gas, you'll be SOL.

I-40 at Goffs Road IS in the middle of nowhere. There's a 90-mile stretch
of I-40 between Barstow and Arizona where there are no services at all.

--
Steve Sobol, Victorville, California, USA
It's all fun and games until someone starts a bonfire in the living room.

Old October 27th 08, 01:03 AM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
Steve Sobol

On 2008-10-27, Brent P > wrote:

> A free market has a wonderful way of dealing with businesses who have
> set prices too high... people buy from someone else. They either correct
> their prices or go out of business. Gas station to gas station
> competition is still for the most part a free market. Since this gas
> station stays in business, the prices are obviously not too high.

That doesn't work in the area in question... a large, empty area with few
stations.

Old October 27th 08, 01:11 AM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
Brent P[_1_]

On 2008-10-27, Steve Sobol > wrote:
> On 2008-10-27, Brent P > wrote:
>
>> A free market has a wonderful way of dealing with businesses who have
>> set prices too high... people buy from someone else. They either correct
>> their prices or go out of business. Gas station to gas station
>> competition is still for the most part a free market. Since this gas
>> station stays in business, the prices are obviously not too high.

> That doesn't work in the area in question... a large, empty area with few
> stations.

Yes it does. People aren't planning ahead so the value of the ease of
getting gas there is less than the extra being charged. If the prices
were too high for the convience he would go out of business or someone
would open up another gas station and undercut his prices.

Old October 27th 08, 01:23 AM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
necromancer[_5_]

On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 05:42:05 GMT, GK >
wrote:

>Being a frequenter of the gasbuddy.com website, I saw that gas was $2.06
>for regular at a Delta station at 217 Park Ave in Rutherford so on my
>way up north, I found the station, filled up, THEN about 1 1/2 blocks
>away was another Delta station with regular at $1.99 cash or credit!!
>Its at 177 Park Ave corner E Park Pl in Rutherford, NJ

Accodring to georgiagasprices.com, US$1.97 was seen in Eatonton, GA
within the last 48 hrs. Next time I'm down by IH95/US17 at exit 29 in
Brunswick, I'll note the prices there.

--
I am necromancer and I approved this poast.
Old October 27th 08, 02:29 AM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
The Real Bev[_1_]

necromancer wrote:

> On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 05:42:05 GMT, GK >
> wrote:
>
>>Being a frequenter of the gasbuddy.com website, I saw that gas was $2.06
>>for regular at a Delta station at 217 Park Ave in Rutherford so on my
>>way up north, I found the station, filled up, THEN about 1 1/2 blocks
>>away was another Delta station with regular at $1.99 cash or credit!!
>>Its at 177 Park Ave corner E Park Pl in Rutherford, NJ

> Accodring to georgiagasprices.com, US$1.97 was seen in Eatonton, GA
> within the last 48 hrs. Next time I'm down by IH95/US17 at exit 29 in
> Brunswick, I'll note the prices there.

WOO-HOO! The Arco station in Arcadia is down to $2.99, a reward for
those who drove in for the Breeder's Cup.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old October 27th 08, 03:03 AM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
Paul D. DeRocco

> "Steve Sobol" > wrote
>
> That doesn't work in the area in question... a large, empty area with few
> stations.

It's only about 55 miles to Ludlow to the west, and 35 miles to Needles to
the east, so you really only waste a few bucks. Hardly a justification for
vandalism.

--

Ciao, Paul D. DeRocco
Paul mailto

Old October 27th 08, 03:05 AM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
Steve Sobol

On 2008-10-27, Paul D. DeRocco > wrote:

>> That doesn't work in the area in question... a large, empty area with few
>> stations.

> It's only about 55 miles to Ludlow to the west, and 35 miles to Needles to
> the east, so you really only waste a few bucks. Hardly a justification for
> vandalism.

I wasn't trying to justify vandalism. I was simply pointing out that there
may be a very valid reason for the high prices out there.

Old October 27th 08, 03:13 AM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
Paul D. DeRocco

> "Steve Sobol" > wrote
>
> I-40 at Goffs Road IS in the middle of nowhere. There's a 90-mile stretch
> of I-40 between Barstow and Arizona where there are no services at all.

You're forgetting Ludlow, 58 miles from Goffs Rd. Still a tad expensive, but
not outrageous. And Newberry Springs has a couple stations, closer to
Barstow.

--

Ciao, Paul D. DeRocco
Paul mailto

Old October 27th 08, 03:21 AM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
Paul D. DeRocco

> "Steve Sobol" > wrote
>
> I wasn't trying to justify vandalism. I was simply pointing out that there
> may be a very valid reason for the high prices out there.

I know. That was a reference to the original post, not you.

--

Ciao, Paul D. DeRocco
Paul mailto