Is a '98 740il for $10,900 a good buy?

Old October 21st 04, 06:35 AM
Joe

Default Is a '98 740il for $10,900 a good buy?

I recently saw an ad selling a '98 740iL with 26K miles for $10,900.
Considering that this car is worth much more, what should I check for? Would
"if it's too good to be true, it probably is" apply here?
Also, in terms of reliability and mechanical maintenance, is this a good
car? I'm a person with a low budget and that's the reason I'm interested in
the car but if it costs $5000 to fix something really simple, then it
wouldn't be the car for me.
Any suggestions on what could be wrong with this car?

Thanks.

Old October 21st 04, 07:01 PM
KoKaineBoy

One word - Nikasil!

Could be a good buy, but keep in mind that old 7s are about as popular as a
"**** sandwich" for many used luxury buyers. Thus the really low residual
values...

Reliablity should be good if nikasil issue was addressed. its cliched to say
but check and make sur all the bells and whistles work - check EVERything
electrical.

Other than that.. if it is a clean car go for it - the ultimate cruiser for
chump change!

good luck

Roger

p.s. if you want sporty get a 3 series...

Old October 21st 04, 07:23 PM
Fred W.

"KoKaineBoy" > wrote in message
> One word - Nikasil!
>
> Could be a good buy, but keep in mind that old 7s are about as popular as
> "**** sandwich" for many used luxury buyers. Thus the really low residual
> values...
>
> Reliablity should be good if nikasil issue was addressed. its cliched to
> say
> but check and make sur all the bells and whistles work - check EVERything
> electrical.

Another word: Wrong!

Nikasil did not effect V8 engines in 1997. Only M60's from '94 - '96.

Check your facts before you go throwing scary stuff around.

-Fred W

Old October 21st 04, 08:44 PM
Somebody

> >Also, in terms of reliability and mechanical maintenance, is this a good
> >car? I'm a person with a low budget and that's the reason I'm interested

in
> >the car but if it costs $5000 to fix something really simple, then it
> >wouldn't be the car for me.
> >Any suggestions on what could be wrong with this car?

If you're of modest budget, you should probably look at something that's
cheaper to maintain. A high end car like that takes high end money to fix,
although fairly rarely. But have a bad patch of luck, and you won't be
around to enjoy the long years of low-cost service to follow, because you'll
have to ditch the car.

If you can stomach a $4000 transmission rebuild once in a... well...
lifetime, then that car is a great way to get incredible wheels for not much
money.

-Russ.

Old October 21st 04, 09:39 PM
Sapere Aude

"tech27" > wrote in message news:<p2Ndd.18458

<snip>

Most people in this situation are too stupid to realize that an
> expensive car can be expensive to maintain and fix.
>
> Also, such a car would not be in keeping with your lifestyle, plus it would
> really stand out parked next to your trailer.
>
> Try looking for a nice used Ford F150, or a cute little mid 90's Taurus. I
> hear that used Hyundai's are also very cheap.

Not everyone can own a new M5 or chooses to commit the resources it
takes to watch such a vehicle depreciate as it swills fuel at 15 MPG.
For many, owning a well-cared-for E28, E30, etc. is a wonderful BMW
experience, and I would not assume that someone unwilling or unable to
keep up an E38 (1) lives in a trailer, (2) keeps the lifestyle you
describe, or (3) would be better off with the cars which you
mentioned.
Old October 22nd 04, 05:38 AM
tech27

"a" > wrote in message
> > tech27 troll, asshole or both?

Definitely NOT a troll.
Maybe an asshole sometimes. You'll have to be the judge of that. But I must
caution you, I have a pretty good nose for idiots (not referring to you),
and I call them as I see them.

Old October 22nd 04, 05:41 AM
tech27

"a" > wrote in message

> "Joe" > wrote in message
>> Thanks for the info.
>> Since I really don't know anything about cars, does BMW offer any
>> services
>> that'll help consumers purchase a BMW, even if it's not directly from

> them?

Yeah sure they do. For $89,500 or so they will inspect your 98 740 and if
it's not up to snuff they'll give you a new 745.

>> I'd assume that, for someone like me, the only way to certify that the
>> car
>> is in good condition, both mechanically and cosmetically, would be for a
>> mechanic to check the car with me. Does BMW offer something like that?

Absolutely. The mechanics even make house calls, and I'm sure he'd LOVE to
have you check it with him.

> Maybe tech27 was right about you.

Bingo!

Old October 22nd 04, 05:42 AM
tech27

"Joe" > wrote in message
>I get a quarter per pick, and an additional dime if I do all three nostrils
> at once. It's a very lucrative business!!

Must be especially hard for you to pick your nose when your head is up your
ass.

Old October 22nd 04, 05:50 AM
tech27

"Joe" > wrote in message
..

I'm a dead stupid idiot who would love to own a BMW and drive it around
because I think that people will respect me and look up to me for owning a
car like this.

The problem is, I know nothing about cars and since I really can't afford a
BMW, I was hoping all of you would waste lots of time blowing sunshine up my
ass so that I can put aside any logic or reason and actually convince myself
that any used car like this will be in perfect condition and not require any
repairs whatsoever. I also need to believe that the car will cost next to
nothing to operate, since after I pay for insurance (if I decide to actually
buy some), I will just be able to afford the gas and oil.

Also, can I expect to get at least 100,000 miles from the current set of
tires?

Oh, never mind. I don't think I have the money to buy it anyway.

Old October 22nd 04, 08:24 AM
Henrik Ohm Eriksen

tech27:

why the **ck do you have to have certain status or knowledge to buy a pre
owned bmw ?? I think joes questions are all legit - if you dont know
anything about cars this shoud be the place to ask and get answers - but
trolls like you that feel offended because somebody finds what may sound
like a good deal if the cars not worn down arent helping much except
bringing the antitrolls out in everyone.

I guess for the question at hand: talk to your local bmw shop and ask them
directly if they have a pre-buy qualification check that you can take the
car to and what the $$ is - suggest to the seller that if theres found
anything wrong with the car that seller pays, if theres nothing worng you
pay. Otherwise find if theres a local car club that focuses on bmw - maybe
somebody there will be helpfull :-)

tech27->plonk->into the block list

/Henrik
(X5 owner)