On-Topic Trans Question

Old July 14th 07, 11:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
CobraJet[_2_]

Default On-Topic Trans Question

I thought I'd ask this before I slither back outta here. Goatboi do
not bother replying, because I'm sure you will be wrong.

I'm pulling a T-18 out of a '70 Phordhh pickup. Someone mentioned to
me that these are popular for the Jeep rock climber guys because of the
6.69 (or so) 1st gear. However, this box is behind an FE engine, which
has a somewhat unique input shaft dimension.

The question is: what would a Jeepster do to use this in his
vehicle? Is there a bellhousing that adapts? What about the input
shaft? If I decide to sell this trans I'd like to give accurate info to
the prospective purchaser.

--
CobraJet
Old July 15th 07, 11:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Carl S

CJ,

Haven't heard from you in a long time. I suppose that's b/c I don't
subscribe to the FE big-block NG anymore. Advance adaptors should have what
they need to convert that T-18 for use behind whatever they want. Give them
a call and see.

As far as the input shaft, it would probably have to be swapped. Advance
adaptors may have a provision for this as well.
http://www.advanceadapters.com/

And no, I am not affiliated with Advance.

Carl

Old July 15th 07, 01:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Sea Jhett

In article >, Carl S
> wrote:

> CJ,
>
> Haven't heard from you in a long time. I suppose that's b/c I don't
> subscribe to the FE big-block NG anymore.

Good reason

> Advance adaptors should have what
> they need to convert that T-18 for use behind whatever they want. Give them
> a call and see.
>
> As far as the input shaft, it would probably have to be swapped. Advance
> adaptors may have a provision for this as well.
> http://www.advanceadapters.com/
>
> And no, I am not affiliated with Advance.

Thanks for the lead. Wouldn't matter to me if you were employed by
Advance, as long as the info is what I need. My group's charter
actually allows for limited *on-topic* advertising, so if Vic Edelbrock
himself showed up touting a new manifold or heads (yeah, like that
would ever happen), it is no prob.

What are you doing these days?

Old July 15th 07, 03:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Earle Horton[_8_]

Before investing much time on this transmission, I would verify that first
gear is indeed the granny gear you think it is. You can do this by counting
teeth on the gears or how many input shaft turns it takes to turn the output
shaft once in first.

Earle

. ..

Old July 15th 07, 07:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Carl S

Got out of Go-fast cars a long time ago. Now I'm into go-slow. Really slow.
As in granny low tranmission 4.1 gear reduction transfer case, with 4.10 or
lower diff gears. :-D

How are things on the home front?

Carl

Old July 15th 07, 08:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
CobraJet[_2_]

In article >, Earle Horton
> wrote:

> Before investing much time on this transmission, I would verify that first
> gear is indeed the granny gear you think it is. You can do this by counting
> teeth on the gears or how many input shaft turns it takes to turn the output
> shaft once in first.

I thought all T-18's were low 1st (?), but that is easy enough. I do
plan to pop the top on it for inspection and pics. I may opt to move
the whole stickshift scenario over to the '72 F-250, which is presently
an automatic. Not sure yet. Thanks!

--
CobraJet
Old July 15th 07, 08:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
CobraJet[_2_]

In article >, Carl S
> wrote:

> Got out of Go-fast cars a long time ago. Now I'm into go-slow. Really slow.
> As in granny low tranmission 4.1 gear reduction transfer case, with 4.10 or
> lower diff gears. :-D
>
> How are things on the home front?

Oh, you know, messin' around with this and that. Too many cars; too
many possible combos. The usual. Always buying parts. Last couple
things have been parts from Pro Comp, the company that is using
China-sourced castings with finish machining in their own Australian
facility. Nice lookin' stuff.

--
CobraJet

Off-topic / GPS question pws[_1_] Mazda 20 March 16th 07 03:19 PM
Off topic car question Mike West VW air cooled 12 June 18th 06 06:38 PM
Off topic F150 question Cedartown Electronics Ford Explorer 3 February 10th 06 03:14 PM
Trans question Searcher1 Ford Explorer 6 June 14th 05 01:20 PM
Off topic CVT tranny question for Jim Warman or others... CRAngelo Ford Explorer 6 November 19th 04 02:49 PM