Richard Burns Rally - noob having hard time

Old November 4th 04, 11:28 PM
LL Poo J

Default Richard Burns Rally - noob having hard time

I feel like smashing my controller, I am not good at this game. My
problem is I want to go too damn fast around corners
How fast should I go around medium left, fast right corners? Anyway its
kind of hard looking at the speed and watching the road because its so
far to the right. Also how can I bind a key on my controler to the
enter key so I don't have to use enter for the stupid menu that I have
to keep clicking through to restart a lesson? Right now I'm trying to
pass the final advanced rally school and I can get 94s best.
Old November 4th 04, 11:31 PM
mjones53

just keep practicing you will get, I also thought I never would but at some
point it will all come together.

Old November 4th 04, 11:57 PM
LL Poo J

mjones53 wrote:
> just keep practicing you will get, I also thought I never would but at some
> point it will all come together.
> "LL Poo J" > wrote in message
>
>>I feel like smashing my controller, I am not good at this game. My problem
>>is I want to go too damn fast around corners
>>How fast should I go around medium left, fast right corners? Anyway its
>>kind of hard looking at the speed and watching the road because its so far
>>to the right. Also how can I bind a key on my controler to the enter key
>>so I don't have to use enter for the stupid menu that I have to keep
>>clicking through to restart a lesson? Right now I'm trying to pass the
>>final advanced rally school and I can get 94s best.

Would a steering wheel make it easier? I'm using the analog sticks for
turning and acclerating
Old November 5th 04, 12:10 AM
bob

"LL Poo J" > wrote in message
> mjones53 wrote:
> > just keep practicing you will get, I also thought I never would but at

some
> > point it will all come together.
> > "LL Poo J" > wrote in message
> >
> >>I feel like smashing my controller, I am not good at this game. My

problem
> >>is I want to go too damn fast around corners
> >>How fast should I go around medium left, fast right corners? Anyway its
> >>kind of hard looking at the speed and watching the road because its so

far
> >>to the right. Also how can I bind a key on my controler to the enter

key
> >>so I don't have to use enter for the stupid menu that I have to keep
> >>clicking through to restart a lesson? Right now I'm trying to pass the
> >>final advanced rally school and I can get 94s best.

> Would a steering wheel make it easier? I'm using the analog sticks for
> turning and acclerating

Dont waste your time looking at the speed, stay focused on the road ahead.
This goes for any racing game. In Nascar for example I always turn off the
speedometer.

Old November 5th 04, 12:17 AM
Jan Verschueren

LL Poo J wrote:
> I feel like smashing my controller, I am not good at this game. My
> problem is I want to go too damn fast around corners

Rallying, by and large, is a traction and accelleration game. Slow
sufficiently, turn in early and power through/out of the turns. When it's
slippery (or on snow), turn in too much and avoid cutting accros the apex by
applying power (thus avoiding conveniently placed tree ;-)).

> How fast should I go around medium left, fast right corners? Anyway
> its kind of hard looking at the speed and watching the road because
> its so far to the right.

Though I would like to have the Hud on the left as well (so as to easier
read the rev counter), try and avoid looking at the speedometer. Speed is
just a number, it serves no usefull purpose in controlling a car *at speed*.
Actual speeds through a given severity of corner vary too much depending on
the conditions, the width and layout of the corner itself and whether or not
it's preceded or followed by another turn of a given severity and direction,
in order to give you a set guideline.
Instead, rely on you sense of speed and try to feel what the car is doing.
It's a bit of a leap of faith, but it works a treat (and will stand you in
good stead in other sims as well).

You can however, in a car with a 6-speed gearbox, use the notes as a guide
to gear selection. Hairpin= 1st gear, 90= 1st or 2nd gear, K= 2nd gear,
medium= 2nd or 3rd gear (mostly 3rd), fast=4th gear, easy=5th gear and flat
is flat in whatever gear you happen to be in.

> Also how can I bind a key on my controler to the enter key so I
> don't have to use enter for the stupid menu that I have to keep
> clicking through to restart a lesson?

No idea, sorry.

> Right now I'm trying to pass the final advanced rally school and
> I can get 94s best.

The Rally School benchmark is quite tough to beat, you really need to run
aggressively, yet clean to beat it.

I'd say leave it be for the time being and do a season on the Rookie setting
first (turn damage to moderate at most). Using the guidelines I mentioned
above you should easily win the Rallies if you manage to stay focussed and
don't make too many duff tyre choices, thus unlocking all the stages and all
cars but for the 2000 Scooby and the MG.

Then go back to the Rally School stage (in quick Rally mode) and work up to
the limit with the Toyota or Mitsubishi instead of finding out the hard way
you're going too quickly all the time. Once you're in the 1m24s range with
those, you should be able to squeeze the school Scooby under the benchmark.
Good luck.

Jan.
=---

Old November 5th 04, 12:21 AM
Jan Verschueren

LL Poo J wrote:
>>> <snip>

> Would a steering wheel make it easier? I'm using the analog sticks
> for turning and acclerating

A steering wheel/pedal combo does make driving sim easier and more fun to
play. That said, if RBR is your first sim, it will still be an uphill
struggle. You might want to persevere a bit and see if you really enjoy
racing sims before making a purchase like that.

Jan.
=---

Old November 5th 04, 02:56 AM
Destroy

Most important in sim is to have whatever controller you are using setup
properly so YOU have control of the car how you'd like.

That being said practice.

Also, I used my gamepad analog sticks for several days and just couldn't
hack it. Got a Formula Force FF from a friend and WOW, the fun increased
2 fold!!!! Dropped many stage times by 15 seconds right off the bat.
Your mileage may vary of course.

Old November 5th 04, 06:47 AM
Kendt Eklund

LL Poo J > wrote in message >...
> I feel like smashing my controller, I am not good at this game. My
> problem is I want to go too damn fast around corners
> How fast should I go around medium left, fast right corners? Anyway its
> kind of hard looking at the speed and watching the road because its so
> far to the right. Also how can I bind a key on my controler to the
> enter key so I don't have to use enter for the stupid menu that I have
> to keep clicking through to restart a lesson? Right now I'm trying to
> pass the final advanced rally school and I can get 94s best.

Go to bhmotorsports.com and get the RBR mod collection v2.0 - then
activate Kai's cockpit - it moves the HUD to the steering wheel so its
more like a proper dash. You might also want to try one of the
numeric pacenotes mods - I changed and its alot more natural.

If you're stymied on the Rally School, set it aside and go play around
on the stages for a bit. A run through Frazier Wells in the USA rally
really clears out the cobwebs .

HTH,
Kendt
Old November 5th 04, 08:22 AM
Swervo

bob wrote:

> Dont waste your time looking at the speed, stay focused on the road
> ahead. This goes for any racing game. In Nascar for example I always
> turn off the speedometer.

While I agree with this, I think even more important is make sure you're
using a manual transmission. You can then judge your speed by the
engine note and what gear you're in, you don't have to look at the
speedo. For that run, I usually do 4th gear for the fast corners, 3rd
for the mediums, and then just give it a little throttle-off flick for
the really fast corners.

Finally, for the creek-crossings, I usually do about 1/3rd brake to near
full throttle to keep the car settled. Just that, and then making sure
you nail the apexes, should take you through easily.
Old November 5th 04, 10:05 AM
ymenard

>"LL Poo J" > wrote
> Would a steering wheel make it easier? I'm using the analog sticks for
> turning and acclerating

Would you drive your own personal car using an analog stick for turning and
accelerating? That answers your question <G>

--
-- François Ménard <ymenard>
-- This announcement is brought to you by the Shimago-Dominguez